BMW 850's made in China?

Carlosfandango

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I did not see it in the media pack and other posts

Visordown are saying the motors are built in China?

Built by Chinese firm Loncin, this unit makes 95hp and 67.9lb-ft at 6,250rpm, which is electronically restricted to 77hp and 61.2lb-ft at 6,000rpm for the 750.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-f850gs-and-f750gs-review

Triumphs are made in Thailand so should we be surprised?

Wasnt the 800 cc lump in the f650/800 manufactured in China under license from Rotax?

Steve

The 450 engine was made by Kymco in Taiwan , And your IPhone was made by Foxconn in China.
It doesn’t matter where it is made, what does matter is how quality is maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my Honda jazz it was one of the last before switching from Japan to China ( and subsequently Swindon) .

The lads in the service dept said detail finish and quality of Chinese car was indistinguishable from Japan. plant in China all brand new tooling , latest robots supervised and supported by Japanese quality control, just as Chas describes above

If it had Chen shin on the tank nobody on this forum would be seen dead on it as long as it says Bmw it’s top quality.

If it had Chen shin on the tank nobody on this forum would be seen dead on it as long as it says Bmw it’s top quality.

Precisely... it's all bullshit, in these happy days of 'globalisation' :blast

My Tomos has the engine parts made in China, the engines are built up in India and the bike's assembled in Slovakia.

Proof if ever it was needed that quality can come from anywhere in the world :D

Andres

BMW wheels have been cast in chinese foundries for 10 years plus, their new system lids are chinese and most of their riding kit is far eastern

Problem comes when factory owners then make their own cheaper copies that end up in genuine boxes and with genuine labelling with a premium price.

Has happened with Bosch, Garrett turbos etc etc

I remember jokes about Japanese build quality not so many years ago. The Chinese are catching up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I buy a german bike I want my bike made in Germany or at least like the last F700/800 the engine made in Austria and not in China.Especially when you pay good money for it.But under globalization it is all in the name of big profits for the few.Our jobs gone overseas where the stuff is made cheap and sold expensive.
Triumphs,Ducatis,Harleys made in Thailand.KTM's in China or India.Japanese bikes in Thailand and now BMW engines in China or whole bikes (310)in India...:(
I won't buy a "CMW" no matter how good they might be !
F the banksters and shareholders.I demand authentic products for my money !
Otherwise they can keep it...Too bad that all the throw away crap of our daily lives already comes from China.
Leave our motorcycles alone !

Otherwise they can keep it...Too bad that all the throw away crap of our daily lives already comes from China.

Agree 100%

Well guys I’m afraid that the reality is that everything is made everywhere, so 40% of Triumph production is in Thailand, together with various Honda’s, Harley’s are made in India, Honda’s are made in America, iPhones are made in China etc etc.

Any vehicle that is made today will have components and even major assemblies made in different countries, so if you want a vehicle made 100% German you will have go back a few decades, but even then the bearings were probably made in Sweden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed, and this especially applies to cars, many of the components and whole sub-assemblies are made by outside companies and shipped into the car companies 'assembly' halls on a just in time basis. I believe jaguar have just signed a £300m deal with Dana for the supply of complete front & rear axle assemblies.

Look at any car plant and it will usually be surrounded by component manufacturers supplying complete assemblies to the line

If I buy a german bike I want my bike made in Germany or at least like the last F700/800 the engine made in Austria and not in China.Especially when you pay good money for it.But under globalization it is all in the name of big profits for the few.Our jobs gone overseas where the stuff is made cheap and sold expensive.
Triumphs,Ducatis,Harleys made in Thailand.KTM's in China or India.Japanese bikes in Thailand and now BMW engines in China or whole bikes (310)in India...:(
I won't buy a "CMW" no matter how good they might be !

Really :eek:

Strikes me you're making life way too complicated, life's too short for all that bollox.

Andres

I don't think I make life too complicated.If I pay good money for a german bike I want a german bike with most of the parts coming from Germany.
If I buy a Chinese bike (which I would not ) I would pay Chinese prices (dirt cheap).
I tired of all the manufacturing jobs exportet and high unemployment we all have to support with high taxes only so that a few shareholders and corporate CEO's reap big profits.We should put big import duties on products made in china or other low/wage low/benefit nations to stop this or force western companies try to sell the stuff were they pay let's say 25% of our slave wages...:thumb
Globalism sucks !
Anyways KTM's new 790 parallel twins will be completely made in china...:(
They can keep them there...;)
Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom