Drive Shaft Removal

Mr Bean

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
To remove the shaft it it just a question of removing the rear wheel, dropping the FD, removing the front gaiter, levering the shaft back and pulling it through the swing arm?

Thanks.

Thats about it, its a bit fiddly re fitting but nothing to worry about, mine was quite rusty so cleaned it up before re fitting,

To remove the shaft it it just a question of removing the rear wheel, dropping the FD, removing the front gaiter, levering the shaft back and pulling it through the swing arm?

Thanks.

Straightforward job allowing spline lubrication Not on the service schedule any more but I do it yearly. use the recommended grease on reassembly or the originally BMW recommended Kluber Stabarag which is a spline grease / water resistant Its good to split the drive shaft out to check for corrosion / water ingress which some suffer from

Look on line as to how you pull the shaft from the gearbox output shaft.. you have to put a screwdriver between the U in the prop and the output shaft end to pop the retaining clip out of the internal shaft grove... Don't lever the end of the UJ on the back of the box.. it could pull things off inside the gearbox.
Did mine on my twin cam.. easy job.. I also re-greased all 4 arm bearings (actualy replaced the front ones) as all the grease had gone and they had rusted! (it was a bit of a banger however)....
should only take an hour or two but well worth doing as BMW don't like greasing things (customers dont like seeing grease leaking out).. would much prefer the things rusting and dropping in bits?

Thanks all.

Just looked at the BMW RSD DVD (forgot I had it) - it just says to remove it using 'a suitable tool', with no other warnings - but will do as beaver suggests.

would you use a marker pen so the shaft goes back in its original position? :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom