Lake Konstanz

ste.j

Reaction score
My route this year takes me down the B500 and by Lake Konstanz. From what I've heard the northern side of lake Konstanz is a very busy route. Has anyone had experience of this road and is it true that it is indeed very busy? I'm running down from Baden-Baden to Imst via B500, which according to basecamp will take around 5 to 6 hours.
If someone has done this route I would grateful for any feedback.

It’s purgatory and I’d make every effort to avoid it unless there was something along the way that I particularly wanted to see. The first time I rode it I thought I was just unlucky but after the second time when it was every bit as bad I gave it a mental tick in the never again box.

My route this year takes me down the B500 and by Lake Konstanz. From what I've heard the northern side of lake Konstanz is a very busy route. Has anyone had experience of this road and is it true that it is indeed very busy? I'm running down from Baden-Baden to Imst via B500, which according to basecamp will take around 5 to 6 hours.
If someone has done this route I would grateful for any feedback.

Been on the B500 many times especially around Lake Konstanz, or Bodensee as they call it here, it does get mad busy at times week-ends and bank holidays, especially if the weather is nice, with the mad crotch rockets, but lately there have been so many Police and radar controls, they have calmed it down quite a lot, so nothing much to worry about, as long as you have the time.

Ive taken a ferry over lake constance before (bike trip ..) and from memory, the roads around the perimeter of the lake were all nigh on walking pace!

Think of any of the picturesque lakes; hamlet runs into hamlet which runs into hamlet. You probably won't get out of a 30 mph zone for the entire time, and most of that will be queuing tourist traffic.

Avoid!!

Ive taken a ferry over lake constance before (bike trip ..) and from memory, the roads around the perimeter of the lake were all nigh on walking pace!

Think of any of the picturesque lakes; hamlet runs into hamlet which runs into hamlet. You probably won't get out of a 30 mph zone for the entire time, and most of that will be queuing tourist traffic.

Avoid!!

Obviously depending on the time of the year Giles, I find it mad in August but a lot quieter in July, all the other months are fine.

Full of busses lorries and tourists. Without getting my map out theres a road runs east west just a few miles to the north, through villages and lovely scenery ... that's what we use :thumb

:beerjug:

Ive avoided Lake Konstance for the same reasons as everyone else , theres some nice roads sticking to a route north of Konstance, can put up a route if your interested.

Google maps won't let me plot a route due to seasonal road closures.

From the Black Forest, when you get to Titisee on the B500, turn east towards Ravensburg. Then go south east from there via Kempten & Schwangau - also avoid the Fernpass into Austria as this gets busy with trucks. AndyB_11 will agree, that the best road is the L246 from Stanzach to Imst. Unless it is foggy as you cannot see the bovine chicanes.

It can be hellish, but I'm a glutten for punishment, so we often overnight at Immenstaad, the Hotel Seehof by the Lake. Then we cut NW to Ravensburg, east to the Autobahn. The just south of Bregenz we strike E for the 200 road to Warth, then Lech, Zurs, St Anton. The E along the Panorama Strasse, to Landeck. Then it's on to Imst. Make sure you pick up a Vignette if you plan to use the Austrian Autobahn - there are a few Police haunts set to catch the unwary around here.

It’s a miserable bit of the journey, but worth it & not far from Austria, where there are some nice hills

... alive .... to the sound of music ......

The northern lake perimeter road is slow and frustrating...but on a positive note if you must do it the walking pace/stationery traffic does allow for more voyeur, ahem, scenery viewing time while cruising past the various beaches along the way ...

When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged. :thumb2

Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Cheers,
Seán.

When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged. :thumb2

Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Cheers,
Seán.

both 31 & 31n are busy but then it gets horrible when they merge

if you have all day to get to Silvretta then make a proper day of it by going eastish over to Wengen, then wiggle your way down to Lech - you will find the roads are lovely. You don't need to climb to over 2000m to have fun.

Cheers,
Seán.

No problem mate. The more advice the better. It just added more detail

Back
Top Bottom