Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Konstanz

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Well that answers my question with some good advice. Many thanks to all that replied

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged.

Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Cheers,
    Seán.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged.

Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Cheers,
    Seán.
    both 31 & 31n are busy but then it gets horrible when they merge

if you have all day to get to Silvretta then make a proper day of it by going eastish over to Wengen, then wiggle your way down to Lech - you will find the roads are lovely. You don't need to climb to over 2000m to have fun.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post

Cheers,
    Seán.
    No problem mate. The more advice the better. It just added more detail

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    both 31 & 31n are busy but then it gets horrible when they merge

if you have all day to get to Silvretta then make a proper day of it by going eastish over to Wengen, then wiggle your way down to Lech - you will find the roads are lovely. You don't need to climb to over 2000m to have fun.
    Thanks for the tip wessie, Much appreciated. I think I'll route us so that we arrive into Ittendorf from the north and avoid the lakeside route. The next day we ride to the Sivretta, then onto Landeck, down the B180, SS40 and finish up just short of the Stelvio at Trafoi. That's about 300km (180 miles) or so going the direct route, I like the look of the Wengen, Lech route, just have to check how much extra mileage it will involve. Again, thanks for the tips! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Vowed never again, it was murder.
    That. Crawling along in 30+c I very nearly lost the will to live...
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    That. Crawling along in 30+c I very nearly lost the will to live...
    I much prefer my 30+c experiences to involve a 100kph wind at least - that way they are bearable on the bike!

At the end of the day, all this is down to the crap law in Germany that forbids lane splitting, and another law in Germany is if the traffic is stopped the cars have to pull over right and left side to make a lane for the emergency services, do not dare ride down that lane, as it is asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ste.j View Post
    My route this year takes me down the B500 and by Lake Konstanz. From what I've heard the northern side of lake Konstanz is a very busy route. Has anyone had experience of this road and is it true that it is indeed very busy? I'm running down from Baden-Baden to Imst via B500, which according to basecamp will take around 5 to 6 hours.
    If someone has done this route I would grateful for any feedback.
    The Konstanz roads were packed with traffic and bloody slow in the 1970's! Avoid today!

Watch out for the b'stards they're out to get you

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    At the end of the day, all this is down to the crap law in Germany that forbids lane splitting, and another law in Germany is if the traffic is stopped the cars have to pull over right and left side to make a lane for the emergency services, do not dare ride down that lane, as it is asking for trouble.
    Never had a problem in 30+ years of splitting lanes in Wunderbar Deutschland, or any other country for that matter.
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Never had a problem in 30+ years of splitting lanes in Wunderbar Deutschland, or any other country for that matter.
    On UK plates you will get away with it, on German plates its another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    On UK plates you will get away with it, on German plates its another story.
    It's to be hoped that all of the German police know that rule!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12