Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 28 of 28

Thread: Lake Konstanz

  1. #17
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Mansfield. England
    Posts
    9
    Well that answers my question with some good advice. Many thanks to all that replied

  2. #18
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    319
    When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

    After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

    And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged.

    Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

    Cheers,
    Seán.

  3. #19
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

    After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

    And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged.

    Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

    Cheers,
    Seán.
    both 31 & 31n are busy but then it gets horrible when they merge

    if you have all day to get to Silvretta then make a proper day of it by going eastish over to Wengen, then wiggle your way down to Lech - you will find the roads are lovely. You don't need to climb to over 2000m to have fun.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

  4. #20
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Mansfield. England
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    When you guys refer to the traffic being crap and as slow as walking pace do you mean just the B31 or is the B31n as bad? Reason I ask is that I'll also be riding from the B500 to Ittendorf, where I overnight and then head on for Bludenz, Partenen and then Silvretta pass where the fun starts.

    After leaving Titisee, am I better off taking a route further away from the lakeside via the likes of Stockach, Owingen, Salem (L194, L205 etc.) and then approach Ittendorf from the north?

    And for the first part of the next day I had planned to just stick with main road (A14) so as to get away from the traffic and onto the Silvretta Pass as quick as possible, but if you know a better alternative route I would bemost obliged.

    Apologies for the thread hijack, and thanks in advance for any and all advice...

    Cheers,
    Seán.
    No problem mate. The more advice the better. It just added more detail

  5. #21
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    both 31 & 31n are busy but then it gets horrible when they merge

    if you have all day to get to Silvretta then make a proper day of it by going eastish over to Wengen, then wiggle your way down to Lech - you will find the roads are lovely. You don't need to climb to over 2000m to have fun.
    Thanks for the tip wessie, Much appreciated. I think I'll route us so that we arrive into Ittendorf from the north and avoid the lakeside route. The next day we ride to the Sivretta, then onto Landeck, down the B180, SS40 and finish up just short of the Stelvio at Trafoi. That's about 300km (180 miles) or so going the direct route, I like the look of the Wengen, Lech route, just have to check how much extra mileage it will involve. Again, thanks for the tips! :-)

  6. #22
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kildare, Ireland
    Posts
    5,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Vowed never again, it was murder.
    That. Crawling along in 30+c I very nearly lost the will to live...
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

    Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

  7. #23
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    That. Crawling along in 30+c I very nearly lost the will to live...
    I much prefer my 30+c experiences to involve a 100kph wind at least - that way they are bearable on the bike!

  8. #24
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Black Forest
    Posts
    4,834
    At the end of the day, all this is down to the crap law in Germany that forbids lane splitting, and another law in Germany is if the traffic is stopped the cars have to pull over right and left side to make a lane for the emergency services, do not dare ride down that lane, as it is asking for trouble.

  9. #25
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by ste.j View Post
    My route this year takes me down the B500 and by Lake Konstanz. From what I've heard the northern side of lake Konstanz is a very busy route. Has anyone had experience of this road and is it true that it is indeed very busy? I'm running down from Baden-Baden to Imst via B500, which according to basecamp will take around 5 to 6 hours.
    If someone has done this route I would grateful for any feedback.
    The Konstanz roads were packed with traffic and bloody slow in the 1970's! Avoid today!

    Watch out for the b'stards they're out to get you

  10. #26
    Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    At the end of the day, all this is down to the crap law in Germany that forbids lane splitting, and another law in Germany is if the traffic is stopped the cars have to pull over right and left side to make a lane for the emergency services, do not dare ride down that lane, as it is asking for trouble.
    Never had a problem in 30+ years of splitting lanes in Wunderbar Deutschland, or any other country for that matter.
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

    "If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

  11. #27
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Black Forest
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Never had a problem in 30+ years of splitting lanes in Wunderbar Deutschland, or any other country for that matter.
    On UK plates you will get away with it, on German plates its another story.

  12. #28
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    On UK plates you will get away with it, on German plates its another story.
    It's to be hoped that all of the German police know that rule!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"