Fitting the genuine BMW Spots from a 2016 bike onto the latest 2017/18 bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Okay so tonight I've stripped the trim panels from my brand new bike thinking that I could simply refit the OEM BMW spotlamps from my 2016 bike, but the loom connections appear to be different?

Don't know if I'm missing something obvious....:rolleyes:

My question is..has anyone fitted spotlamps from a pre-facelift bike to the current 2017+ model without any issues.

Well it’s almost the same, when I asked the question before the bike had just arrived and I was trying to save myself stripping the panels from the bike, the question was...could I fit the lamps and the loom without needing to remove the bodywork, having received no confirmation I removed the panels earlier this evening only to find that the wiring connectors appear to be slightly different which has surprised me.

So the question is similar but not quite the same!

Has anyone fitted the 2013-2016 lamps with loom to the later shape 2017/2018 bike?

It’s worth knowing the answer, as anyone looking for some used OEM spots on the ‘bits for sale’ page for a later bike may well end up wasting their time and money.

When I find out for sure I’ll let you know.

I hadn’t noticed the change of lights on the 2017 model but the 2018 is a different lamp and a different fitting. I do wonder if this is an attempt to combat the water ingress - I certainly hope so. It has cost dealers (BMW) and owners a fortune over the last few years. I have moved OEM LED’s from one bike to another over the years and I have had no issues. The loom you need for the pre 2017/18 do come up on eBay from time to time but it is a bit pot-luck. I found one recently for £25 off an RT so I could connect my OEM LED’s up to a Hex Ezcan without needing to cut the original wiring.

Hi Smogbob, it does look as though it could need a later harness, I’ll see what I can find out from the stealer, but look at the price...EEK! 80 Squids

Andy, Yeh, I swopped these lamps between my last GS’s okay, just a plug in job and dealer ECU reset.

If it means a new loom at £80+ I may look at getting the later 2018 spots and put my 2016 versions for sale on here, I must admit that I have not had any water ingress issues with my lamps

I put on my 2017 Exclusive Denali lights and used the DENALI 2.0 Plug-n-Play CANsmart Controller for BMW R1200 LC Series, it is all plug and play, not cheap but amazing quality, only difference between the Hexcan and the Denali Cansmart is the Denali does not cancel the light when turn signal is used, that is the only difference, but no splicing wires, it all just plugs in, easy to install, I done it myself in an hour and half, I bought the whole kit from Ian at Sportouring UK great service, and no need to have any programming done at the dealers.

http://www.sportouring.co.uk/?s=denali

Very nice gear that Denali stuff!

Anyway success!

I have now fitted my 2016 GS OEM BMW Spotlamps onto my 2018 GS, it all fits perfectly, both the bracket and the loom without any alterations, it just needed a good coat of looking at. However they won't function until the ECU is told to recognise them, which will be at my 600 mile service.

Just wanted to clear this up....so all is good!

Cheers for the helpful inputs. :thumb2

Very nice gear that Denali stuff!

Anyway success!

I have now fitted my 2016 GS OEM BMW Spotlamps onto my 2018 GS, it all fits perfectly, both the bracket and the loom without any alterations, it just needed a good coat of looking at. However they won't function until the ECU is told to recognise them, which will be at my 600 mile service.

Just wanted to clear this up....so all is good!

Cheers for the helpful inputs. :thumb2

:beerjug::beerjug: It always pays to walk away and have another look with new eyes :clap

That statement is so true, and sometimes when you go to sleep on a problem, the answer arrives sometime overnight and you wake up with it in the morning. :beerjug:

Hey Smoggy, I’m glad you’re looking after me.

Cheers my mate.

I’ll close this one off now...it’s done and dusted,.....I just need to ride that brand new bike now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom