Touring Weight?

2006 R1150GSA. Plenty of long trips. Only tool is a Leatherman and Swiss Army knife.

+1 for the leatherman; wouldn't go anywhere without mine; fixed loads of stuff; even cut a section out of my leaking radiator one year to make a repair; alu tent poles usually snap at the ferruls; I've cut the broken pieces off; and shortened them ; a few times; and i can also butter my bread with it :D.:beerjug:

Why not check with your local council about weight bridge you can use.

I get any new caravan done, empty; then list weight of everything put in so I have total weight laden.

When I get stopped I can show I'm within mtplm.

I recall my gsa getting front/rear weight getting measured for an mot, if you've a friendly mot tester, ask them if they can check weight for you, a nice box of chocolate biscuits normally helps too.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Why not check with your local council about weight bridge you can use.

I get any new caravan done, empty; then list weight of everything put in so I have total weight laden.

When I get stopped I can show I'm within mtplm.

I recall my gsa getting front/rear weight getting measured for an mot, if you've a friendly mot tester, ask them if they can check weight for you, a nice box of chocolate biscuits normally helps too.

He’s only going on a camping holiday in Spain on his motorbike.....

I too prefer to work on my own bike and bring my own tools. Having said that, all I bring is the under-seat tool kit that came with the bike, my Leatherman, puncture repair kit and a small multimeter.

Some people are happy to carry only a credit card for emergencies, other people (like you and I, obviously) like to be able get ourselves out of bother. If you want to lighten your load, though, you will have to be a bit pickier about what you bring. It also helps if everything serves more than one purpose (heavy jumper = pillow etc).

The wife and I spent 2 weeks touring France and Spain on my 850 last summer. With both of us on board plus all the gear we were about 5kg under the GMVW.

I had the Tentipi (with a homemade lighter weight groundsheet), sleeping bags and mats, a couple of ALite camp chairs, Stove (Caldera cone running on meths), Handpresso, li-ion jump pack, and enough tools for some breakdowns on the way, so we are by no means scrimping on niceties. We carried no extra fuel, oil, and a couple of bladders for water when close to camp.

In my other life, i do a lot of lightweight backpacking so i have a principle of wanting most items I bring to have more than one use, apply that across the board and its easy to shed many kilos. The hardest part was convincing my wife that she only needed one pair of shoes!
c700a95eaee142ac3cdb34d1667509cb.jpg
2ee80a854d6b0283d2e1f986a730dac2.jpg

Only take the tools you know how to use. I've seen guys with what seems like a snap on tool chest tucked into their panniers and 90% of them are useless or they didn't have a clue what they were looking at.

Shhh! Good principle, but don't tell others or the bloke that pulls up to help won't have his Snap On kit for you to use!

If you want to pack light have a look at the kit carried on a canoeing trip. It’s not so much weight as space.
When you go on holiday you can take a suitcase of 20kg, a fair bit. If you are solo on a bike you could basically carry the equivalent of 5 suitcases and still be under the limit, just be sensible and remember you can always buy something or throw something.

Thanks all.

Kinda just wanted to know if many if ye travelled so close to GVWR.

I have taken out some tools where I had doubled up (e.g. a combo 10mm spanner and a 10/11mm open-end).

One water can rather than two, and only when camping.

One fuel can rather than two, and only when off-road.

No engine or gear oil - bike will have been serviced immediately prior to departure, and if needed, I can source locally.

I've probably erred on the heavy side with my drybag and tank bag weight estimates. Pretty sure each will be well under 10kg.

So now my rig (ooooh yeah :nod) should be closer to 410kg, maybe under...

He’s only going on a camping holiday in Spain on his motorbike.....

For you guys who have done these trips before, "only" might be apt. For me, having only ridden in & around my home country, this is a pretty big trip that I'm very excited about.

For you guys who have done these trips before, "only" might be apt. For me, having only ridden in & around my home country, this is a pretty big trip that I'm very excited about.

Don't worry, Wapping's bike spends the majority of its life in the garage and only let out for brief visits to a few Chateaus ;)

Don't worry, Wapping's bike spends the majority of its life in the garage and only let out for brief visits to a few Chateaus ;)
Which is a shame, his bike's allowed in, he isn't.

Check what size etc you actually need; no point carrying a 16mm if it fits nothing. A 3/8" socket set with torx, assorted heads etc, doesn't weight that much, is easier to pack than a bunch of spanners.

Don't forget the front spindle tool, been there done that, makes wheel removal a tad challenging!

Good luck, have fun, and apologise for Wapping !!!

No need to apologise for Wapping - helpful dude. :thumb2

3/8" Teng ratchet & sockets (hex, allen & TX) in relevant sizes only.
Extension piece for ratchet.
8" adjustable spanner.
Open-end spanners in relevant sizes only.
Teng pliers.
Front spindle tool.
Small vice-grip.
Screwdriver handle with double-ended bits.
Cable ties, gaffa tape, electrical tape.

Leatherman Wave in jacket pocket, Victorinox Outrider in tank bag.

Airman pump, Puig puncture kit.

I don't think that's too OTT? :nenau

what are you going to do with an 8" adjustable spanner and a vice grip? :D

Wrap your gaffa tape around a screwdriver or similar :beerjug:

No need to apologise for Wapping - helpful dude. :thumb2

3/8" Teng ratchet & sockets (hex, allen & TX) in relevant sizes only.
Extension piece for ratchet.
8" adjustable spanner.
Open-end spanners in relevant sizes only.
Teng pliers.
Front spindle tool.
Small vice-grip.
Screwdriver handle with double-ended bits.
Cable ties, gaffa tape, electrical tape.

Leatherman Wave in jacket pocket, Victorinox Outrider in tank bag.

Airman pump, Puig puncture kit.

I don't think that's too OTT? :nenau
Baby wipes, tube of hand cleaner, a tyre lever (also useful as bashing implement) entrenching tool (doubles as axe), breakdown cover card ( not much use at home). A tie down strap, useful for holding panniers to bike (minor scenic excursion) also doubles as a tow rope.

Large breasted brunette (other varieties are available to suit preference) who's a qualified bmw mechanic, speaks perfect french and is a cordon bleu chef too.

Back
Top Bottom