RT's are bloody expensive bikes to run

If its stuck open, leave it, if its stuck closed, bosh it out :) Freeing it up won't last for long.

Extracting large quantites of money from the gullible.

Some people do it by fraud: Thus, they put up a scam sale on Ebay.

Some companies do it by persuading people to go for a Phone upgrade by buggering up their existing phone with upgrades which mess it up, and is it not possible to downgrade again to the previous version of software and cure the problem that way.

In recent years, the first car company to realise that there was money to be made from unneccessary brake upgrades was BMW, whose car disk brakes aways seem to be "worn out" at 40,000 miles.
Spurious car disks became available at reasonable money, so they had to find another set of victims to "dangle the skeleton" at.

Stand Up all BMW Motorcycle owners!

Back brakes whose pads normally wear out at under 6,000 miles.
Disks which are almost at their wear limit before fitting.

Stand up again!

My wife has a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso diesel automatic.
It now has 85,000 miles on it.

It has never had brake disks or pads replaced on it.

This is a perennial problem with BMW motorcycles through model after model.
It would have been easy at any point to produce a caliper which took thicker brake pads, so one can only assume that the design is intentional, and there to extract money from the pockets of the gullible.

Me, I ignore wear limits, and use Goldfren dirt cheap pads.
Brakes work satisfactorily, and I can tell no difference from the O.E.M. pads and disk thicknesses through alpine passes all over Europe.

Since there is a large quantity of Skeleton Dangling in the sales pitch, please remember I am not suggesting that you believe me, just that you consider the possibility.

Myke

Aren't the callipers made by Brembo? I would have thought they knew what they were doing.

Calipers are fine, in fact the brakes are fine, in fact they are very good.

The disks are staying on the bike and BMW can go whistle.

Aren't the callipers made by Brembo? I would have thought they knew what they were doing.
Oh Ye of little knowledge. Of course they are, and the connivance of the two companies means both are complicit in the scam.

Have to agree that the brake disc thing is a scam, and not just by BMW.

Last Suzuki I owned, from new, went to see about trading it at the local Suzuki main dealer, 14,000 miles and still on the original pads, guess what? "Needs new discs mate, thats £200 off what we can give you". :blast

Couldn't even feel a ridge around the edge of the bloody things!

And then BMW tried the same with my GS at its 18,000 mile service. Told them to get stuffed.
Still on the original fronts at 72,000, changed the rear at about 65,000. :rob

3rd service at 15,900 miles and bike needs new discs all round. What with a jammed exhaust valve @ £1000, I'm not sure I can afford to run this bike.

Dealer is taking photos of bubbling paint but won't commit to anything, just says its road salt damage, bike always washed after a ride, and kept in dry my (joinery) workshop.

If I were having to pay for replacement discs I wouldn’t be buying genuine BMW but al alternative such as Brembo.

Re the exhaust valve, i’d remove it but leave the actuator in place to keep the electronics happy. It’s only there to satisfy Mr Engineer’s EU rules and proven to be an expensive pain in the arse

Took mine in the other week(16 Plate LC) regarding the sticky valve, and they replaced with a new set of chrome headers under the warranty which is up April 1st,, considering going for BMW extended warranty,i know its a few quid but a set of them headers stand about 1600 on their own

Took mine in the other week(16 Plate LC) regarding the sticky valve, and they replaced with a new set of chrome headers under the warranty which is up April 1st,, considering going for BMW extended warranty,i know its a few quid but a set of them headers stand about 1600 on their own

The flap is not covered by the extended warranty. But if you paid a contribution, they come with 2 years warranty. If you let BMW do it for free, no warranty, one shot job.

3rd service at 15,900 miles and bike needs new discs all round. What with a jammed exhaust valve @ £1000, I'm not sure I can afford to run this bike.

Dealer is taking photos of bubbling paint but won't commit to anything, just says its road salt damage, bike always washed after a ride, and kept in dry my (joinery) workshop.

Strange! I think the BM Dealer is pulling yer toggle!

Complain "Pleasantly" to BMW Customer Services Letting them know that the bike always has the services done on time @ a BMW workshop (This is the critical bit! Although the law says not i.e. Dealer servicing a requirement, but it is!) and that you always rinse the bike off after you have been out (when bike is cooled down) and you park it in a workshop out of the elements

Good Luck I have seen a LOT of Integral units changed in the early days of their fuckwittery!

The flap is not covered by the extended warranty. But if you paid a contribution, they come with 2 years warranty. If you let BMW do it for free, no warranty, one shot job.

No i didn't pay a penny,, the headers(and flap) was changed under the warranty as is now ,, but
that expires April, so im going to go for the extended

My 05 RT if I remember correctly, discs start at 5mm and scrap at 4.5, just absurd, they wear out faster than the pads :blast

complete bollocks !
the 4.5 mm is for re-finishing NOT wear . for MOT , my tester looks for cracks and flex . you are being ripped mr O.P.

I have just checked the BMW spec for the 2005 right up to 2018 and the front disc thickness is designated 4.5mm as new. Disc to be replaced at 4mm.

I've read that the extended warantee doesn't cover exhaust flaps or ESA shocks over a certain mileage.

I have just checked the BMW spec for the 2005 right up to 2018 and the front disc thickness is designated 4.5mm as new. Disc to be replaced at 4mm.

That can't be right ? only 0.5 wear allowance ? I'm sure they start off at 6.0mm.

That can't be right ? only 0.5 wear allowance ? I'm sure they start off at 6.0mm.
No he is right, mine is just below 4.0mm now and they're 4.5mm when new. I checked with the tech and he confirmed it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No he is right, mine is just below 4.0mm now and they're 4.5mm when new. I checked with the tech and he confirmed it.

Yep, and it has been like that for years. This thickness at new is not a new thing. People have perceptions that the disc is much thicker than it actually is.

So are you replacing yours then ?

Back
Top Bottom