RT's are bloody expensive bikes to run

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
3rd service at 15,900 miles and bike needs new discs all round. What with a jammed exhaust valve @ £1000, I'm not sure I can afford to run this bike.

Dealer is taking photos of bubbling paint but won't commit to anything, just says its road salt damage, bike always washed after a ride, and kept in dry my (joinery) workshop.

There must have been exhaust valves avail S/H for less than that?? (much less)

There must have been exhaust valves avail S/H for less than that?? (much less)

I could be wrong but if it is an LC I think the valve is part of the headers as opposed to the twin cam where it is separate fitting between the headers and the can.

I could be wrong but if it is an LC I think the valve is part of the headers as opposed to the twin cam where it is separate fitting between the headers and the can.

Correct, otherwise I would have removed it altogether.

Wonder if GS headers would fit ?

It's the discs that amazes me, I'm still on original pads on front and just fitted second set on rear so I'm not hard on the brakes. I would expect triple that from the discs though.

Are they made of chocolate ?

A bad batch of discs?

I've done around 27k-30k on each of two GSAs (pre LC) without any hint of new discs being required.

Ah! Not so clever design. :blast

Designed by the same design engineer who did the ...

(Complete with your choice of irritating BMW features.)

I'd go for the under tank hydraulic reservoir on the /6 series BMs but the location of the tail light switch would run it close!

I would check the thickness of the discs yourself just st to make sure they aren't taking the piss!

It's a well known problem with the exhaust valve,I would push for a good will jesture from BMW.
Failing that take the silencer off and "tap" the valve open. Not worth replacing the OE system at your expense because it will probably seize up again.

What age is your bike?

My 05 RT if I remember correctly, discs start at 5mm and scrap at 4.5, just absurd, they wear out faster than the pads :blast

My 05 RT if I remember correctly, discs start at 5mm and scrap at 4.5, just absurd, they wear out faster than the pads :blast

Depends, some aftermarket pads wear the disks faster than original pads

Depends, some aftermarket pads wear the disks faster than original pads
Mine was on OE pads, when I sold it on all three discs were officially worn out, the pads were fine.

Also the battery was on its last legs, both tires were shot, and it was leaking oil from the front of the engine.

Correct, otherwise I would have removed it altogether.

Wonder if GS headers would fit ?

i have a brand new set of GS headers with valve assembly PM me if any good to you

3rd service at 15,900 miles and bike needs new discs all round. What with a jammed exhaust valve @ £1000, I'm not sure I can afford to run this bike.

Dealer is taking photos of bubbling paint but won't commit to anything, just says its road salt damage, bike always washed after a ride, and kept in dry my (joinery) workshop.

I had my exhaust flapper valve replaced whilst still under warranty my mates 14 plate bike had same issue BMW agreed to replace his also as a good will gesture as its a known issue, he had to pay for an hours labor so its worth a punt ?

I would check the thickness of the discs yourself just st to make sure they aren't taking the piss!

It's a well known problem with the exhaust valve,I would push for a good will jesture from BMW.
Failing that take the silencer off and "tap" the valve open. Not worth replacing the OE system at your expense because it will probably seize up again.

What age is your bike?

its got the minimum disk thickness etched on the disks.. i think its 4.9 on a 6mm disk

Had my flap replaced 6 months out of warranty on my 14 bike. Had to pay £60 contribution. Have now done 14k, discs are still fine.

Back
Top Bottom