Some advice please for France Germany Luxembourg Austria trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was you bike parked on the rd; or had you pushed it onto the verge ;off the rd?

A35 is the motorway on the way to Colmar in Alsace, I parked my bike on the hard shoulder, with warning lights flashing. A35 is a 2 lane motorway with a hard shoulder.

WTF are you doing that gets you stopped twice a year!

In 20 years in France I doubt I've been stopped a dozen times, car and bike.

Last was 110 in a 90 limit and got away with a severe finger wagging.

At one time, during Sarkosy’s reign I think, the G’s were everywhere especially on Sunday afternoon. More often than not, no nick resulted despite uncertainty on number plates, tyre legality, no mirrors or indicators, mostly because I always had my docs with me. Most of theothers have been speeding, not wearing a seat belt or avoiding speed humps!

+ 1 on Mods comments and link
Don't forget Crit Air sticker for the bike if going to Paris and Lyon or other cities that operate it.

Just keep your docs with you and wear gloves, keep your light on. Easy enough really. I’ve been stopped more than 50 times in 26 years living here but mostly on an enduro bike or in my van. Never actually been stopped on a touring bike although was nicked last year by a speed camera for 96 in a 90 limit!

Bejeesus man !

In 20 years living in France I've been stopped once, on a friday or saturday night for a breath test, that's the only time

As for the rest, probably best to carry a yellow vest if you have one and a copy of your docs, that's all
(strangely a vest is not required by law for the passenger of a bike but required for each person in a car - it's France)

The OP asked what is required.

He did not ask for anecdotes about what travellers have got away with.

His question has been answered.

Phew!

Luxembourg have just cottoned on to speed cameras and therefore have no traffic cops anymore, they also just post you the ticket to your home address so you can deal with it at your leisure rather than wasting time counting out cash to the officer - so you have more speeding time on their roads.

I managed to get two tickets from them in as many days on a trip last year, one of them from a camera I slowed down for - 3 mph over the limit is enough for a 50 Euro fine.

Bejeesus man !

In 20 years living in France I've been stopped once, on a friday or saturday night for a breath test, that's the only time

Seeing as you did not know what day of the week it was I assume you were over the limit.

The OP asked what is required.

He did not ask for anecdotes about what travellers have got away with.

His question has been answered.

Phew!

Agreed, it’s run its course. My apologies to the OP for the oversight vis-à-vis the Hi-Viz, the law having been amended in 2016. As I have always lobbed one in as a matter of course, I was too lazy to check. I’ll edit my reply in case anyone trips over this thread.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom