Some advice please for France Germany Luxembourg Austria trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Going to France, Germany Luxembourg and Austria in July and have been told by various people what we need to have and take with us, this ranges from reflective helmet stickers, breathalyzers. high viz's, to our own breakdown trucks and an ambulance:eek: could anyone please be kind enough to confirm whats needed for such a trip
I realise this has probably been covered here before but just cant seem to find anything

Log books ?
Hi Viz Waist coats ?
Insurance docs?
Helmet stickers ?
Breathalyzers ?
Warning triangles ?
Tow trucks ?

We are not all foreign travel virgins but we have all read different things and cant agree from what we have read as to what we need and dont and anything advisable to take

Thanks Guys

Rob

Log books ?
Hi Viz Waist coats ?
Insurance docs?
Helmet stickers ?
Breathalyzers ?
Warning triangles ?
Tow trucks ?

The only thing in that list I have taken in all my time abroad (including recently) is the paperwork. I take the originals, keep them safe in an A4 plastic wallet, and that's it. Ive never bothered with all the other crap .. !

Log books ? V5 YES
Hi Viz Waist coats ? YES (2016 French law change)
Insurance docs? YES
Helmet stickers ? NO
Breathalyzers ? NO
Warning triangles ? NO
Tow trucks ? UP TO YOU

90 euro cash to pay your first on the spot speeding fine? YES

PS Don't forget your gloves.

Last edited:
The only thing in that list I have taken in all my time abroad (including recently) is the paperwork. I take the originals, keep them safe in an A4 plastic wallet, and that's it. Ive never bothered with all the other crap .. !
^^^^^^^^
What Giles & Wapping said,
except I take colour photocopies

What can’t you buy when you get there? A replacement credit/debit card so as long as you remember that you can just hose money at any difficulties :D

I bet you can buy it all but didnt want to get pulled over and get fined for not having 8 items that we should have and it costing a grand in !!

Log books ? V5 YES
Hi Viz Waist coats ? NO
Insurance docs? YES
Helmet stickers ? NO
Breathalyzers ? NO
Warning triangles ? NO
Tow trucks ? UP TO YOU

90 euro cash to pay your first on the spot speeding fine? YES

PS Don't forget your gloves.

Sorry Wapping in France you do need Hi-Viz waist coats, not to wear but just in case of danger, if you get stopped by the Police or Gendarmerie, the fine is 11 euros, if you have an emergency stop and do not wear the Hi-viz the fine is then 135 euros, and agree gloves yes.

Link below in French for info, for those who read French.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/assurance/20...ilet-jaune-a-moto-quelles-sont-les-regles.php

Yep, only taken docs

No fucking HiViz or bulbs or shite

Cheers for the link, but just on a daily basis, they will check if you have or not a Hi-Viz waist coat, if you are stopped in a dangerous place, but the stickers on the Helmet etc, they do not care too much, breathalysers never even been asked, and asked my nephew, who is a Policeman in France and his answer was, most of us would have to blow in first. :jes

Bloody hell, I must have been lucky.

Spent a good portion of my motorcycling career in France and never took any of this stuff out with me, nor knew anyone who did.

Bloody hell, I must have been lucky.

Spent a good portion of my motorcycling career in France and never took any of this stuff out with me, nor knew anyone who did.

Only happened to me once, on the A35 a biker hit a car and went down, I stopped to help, he was in a bad way, when Gendarmes turned up, one said lucky you have your waist coat on otherwise I would have had to fine you :blast it was a Helite turtle

Just keep your docs with you and wear gloves, keep your light on. Easy enough really. I’ve been stopped more than 50 times in 26 years living here but mostly on an enduro bike or in my van. Never actually been stopped on a touring bike although was nicked last year by a speed camera for 96 in a 90 limit!

Just keep your docs with you and wear gloves, keep your light on. Easy enough really. I’ve been stopped more than 50 times in 26 years living here but mostly on an enduro bike or in my van. Never actually been stopped on a touring bike although was nicked last year by a speed camera for 96 in a 90 limit!
WTF are you doing that gets you stopped twice a year!

In 20 years in France I doubt I've been stopped a dozen times, car and bike.

Last was 110 in a 90 limit and got away with a severe finger wagging.

Only happened to me once, on the A35 a biker hit a car and went down, I stopped to help, he was in a bad way, when Gendarmes turned up, one said lucky you have your waist coat on otherwise I would have had to fine you :blast it was a Helite turtle

Was you bike parked on the rd; or had you pushed it onto the verge ;off the rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom