Another convert!

Country boy

Reaction score
Not really sure were to post this so if it’s moved by the moderators that’s fine.

Hi one and all, just a bit about me and why I’m here, location SW Scotland, age halfway to geriatric. After being a loyal Yamaha lad, FJ’s and FJR’s the time came when the FJR just got to heavy to push around especially when loaded with touring kit, we went out and bought a Ducati Multistrada 1200, it was probably the most comfortable bike I have ridden, until you stop! My legs just are not long enough which resulted in a stationary get off in the car park on some gravel, it had to go. After looking at what was available to us and a spread sheet of weight and seat height of various suitable candidates it was away to Lloyds BMW in Carlisle, just to look don’t you know, one test ride latter and we are now the proud owners of a 16 plate lowered 1200GS TE. Having done a couple of trips on it before winter set in I’m in Love!

40916974191_072570569b.jpg
[/url

Me being me though nothing gets left as standard so a bit of a write up about whats been done so far.

The first thing that had to be done was a rack for a Givi top box, which we already had, this was resolved with an almost new aluminium plate from Givi via Ebay. Unfortunately when the box was added this bought the Lovely Mrs just a bit too close so with the help of some redundant aluminium bar three brackets have been
Fabricated to move the top box back about an inch which although it doesn’t sound much it’s just enough to allow a bit of fidget space on the long dull motorway parts of a trip.

25762813158_e08ef19732.jpg

Being a bit paranoid about being seen an extra very bright rear light was fitted with a switch to turn it off when not needed, more about that to follow.

38549993424_7f17dba5aa_z.jpg

With passenger comfort very much in mind Oxford wrap around hot grips were added to the rear rack handles, one happy passenger? Well not quite, a GS back wheel seems to be a bloody great flywheel with the main purpose of distributing as much water as possible over the legs of the bikes occupants! A look on a GS forums revealed this to be a much-discussed topic. One answer is a hugger which has been fitted, another answer was infill panels, now the GS considering it is supposed to be an “Adventure“ bike is bloody short on storage space so, a pair of small frame bags have been fitted, one holds the Autocom and the other holds the puncture repair kit and they also tame the spray from the back wheel, result!
39634139181_5a9d10e85d_z.jpg

The bike came with BMW vario panniers which although expandable are fairly useless for two folk on a weeks tour, ah well back to Ebay, over time all the parts needed to fit some adventure style aluminium boxes have been sourced at a more sensible price than BMW wanted and we are good to go.

The next project was to fit the Bikevis spots that were on the previous bike, now these little beasties are bright, as in don’t look at them head on! It was not any bother to fabricate a mount for them using aluminium bar, some old bits of chrome covered copper pipe and some M10 threaded rod.

25759635118_28db2e52bd.jpg
39631084861_4fba5025e2.jpg

The big problem was dimming the lights down, I tried fitting a couple of resistors that I had “in stock” but not much difference. After a search around the internet and this forum Hexezcan came to light, one was duly purchased and away we go.
Another feature of the Ezcan is that the ultra bright rear light that I had fitted earlier can also operated by the Ezcan, so now, it’s not only a rear light but a stop light as well which, if you desire will flash rapidly for a moment to alert car drivers you are slowing down.
On club runs we do when marking corners it becomes necessary to turn off the ignition now and then which means the Auotcom dies, so no easy communication with the rear navigator, I got over this by fitting a din plug direct to the battery, the Autocom plugs into this for the duration of a run and then if necessary I can plug a pump or Optimate in without having to faff around with seats and battery terminals.
As the most “of road” that I will be doing is a trip to a camp site I have removed the factory bash plate and replaced it with a Belly Pan made by Puig that was intended for a BMW R1200RS

39587381952_6f42d225d9_z.jpg

Being slightly paranoid about being seen, so as far as I’m concerned anything out of the ordinary is going to help, with that thought in mind the Std BMW indicators are very good for head on and from directly behind but unlike the FJR that we used to have they are not visible from the side. Whilst drifting around the web I came across some very nice looking DRL/indicator lights that fit behind the BMW logo on the side of the fairing. The DRL’S are white but when indicating they change to flashing amber, very 21st century!

25025818157_126893fc55_n.jpg
38998290605_4878623826_n.jpg
39897762111_ee591f5db2_n.jpg

So along with extra hand protection by Givi some extra bits of “bling” a Nextbase bike cam and various other bits and bobs we are ready for the weather to improve, I hope the warmer weather arrives soon it’s time to ride!!

Great job; all the modifications look beautiful

Welcome to the forum. Great selection of mods so far.
You cant be too far away from me I`m in SW Scotland too.

Back
Top Bottom