Go Pro Hero 5 Black

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I guess this is probably going to be a dumb question but as a Go Pro newbie I just have to ask.
I have a 1200GS air cooled (2012) and am looking to mount a hero 5 Black on it.
I have looked at the mount from Nippy Normans which goes on the front of the screen. It looks a good piece of kit, if somewhat expensive, but my question is how do you switch the camera on and off without stopping?
Am I missing something obvious or is it how it is? I don't want a helmet mount and the only alternative I can see is a ram mount on the handlebars.
I am looking at the Hero 5 because of the rear screen but don't want to spend the extra £100 for the Hero 6!
A second question is about storage, do you just take some spare SD cards with you or is there an alternative without a lap top?
I am looking at 7 days from the south of Portugal up to the UK via Spain and France.
Hope some can help
TIA

Not too sure if it's included with the Hero5, but GoPro do a remote which you can attach to the handlebars or somewhere equally convenient. It's well worth the investment because it means you can mount the camera anywhere on the bike and not have to be stretching back and forth to reach it all the time.

The handlebar RAM mount is actually quite good as some of the picture is taken up by the cockpit of the bike. This gives a bit more context to the footage, as opposed to just seeing what's in front of the bike. Not everyone will agree, but I like to have a wee bit of foreground detail in the footage.

WRT memory cards, for a seven day trip, I'd just bring a few spare memory cards with you. Unless you plan to shoot constantly in 4K, a few 64Gb cards would hold a lot of 1080p footage. The one advantage of bringing the laptop is that you can watch over the interesting bits of the footage each evening, beats looking at it on a phone screen.

Hi
I guess this is probably going to be a dumb question but as a Go Pro newbie I just have to ask.
I have a 1200GS air cooled (2012) and am looking to mount a hero 5 Black on it.
I have looked at the mount from Nippy Normans which goes on the front of the screen. It looks a good piece of kit, if somewhat expensive, but my question is how do you switch the camera on and off without stopping?
Am I missing something obvious or is it how it is? I don't want a helmet mount and the only alternative I can see is a ram mount on the handlebars.
I am looking at the Hero 5 because of the rear screen but don't want to spend the extra £100 for the Hero 6!
A second question is about storage, do you just take some spare SD cards with you or is there an alternative without a lap top?
I am looking at 7 days from the south of Portugal up to the UK via Spain and France.
Hope some can help
TIA

First spend the extra 100 quid on the Gopro 6 it is a complete different camera for stabilising the images, as other OP said, you can buy a remote, but still not a good idea fiddling around with it while riding, better to turn it on and let it run, also get a couple of extra batteries, original one,s because the software upgrades stop the copies from working, and get yourself a few 128 gb cards because you will get about 4 hours recording on each one.

CALLING WARLORD

Can I ask what do people think is the best buy the Go Pro hero 6 or the Garmin VIRB ultra 30?
The prices look very similar.
I have a zumo 395 fitted and the control of the camera through the Zumo looks attractive.
TIA

This week the Ultra 30 is back down to 275 from Halfords, quote a british cycling membership number and get a further 10%!!

Sorry, just seen that you are not in the UK.

Virb for me, love the G-metrix data from the GPS etc

Well made the decision and went for the Virb ultra. Purchased from the states (£280 from Amazon) and picking up in May when I am in Boston.
So just got to wait now!!
Thanks for all the comments/advice.

Cheaper than GoPro

Just ordered this camera. Has a lot of 5* reviews. For that price, got to be worth a try.

Attachments

• BA2BD5DE-B832-453D-AA0E-1D8882E0314A.jpg
    BA2BD5DE-B832-453D-AA0E-1D8882E0314A.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 331
Just ordered this camera. Has a lot of 5* reviews. For that price, got to be worth a try.

Let us know how did you get on wit it and if you could post short video that would be even better!
I'm using gopro4 but I could do with a cheap buck up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how did you get on wit it and if you could post short video that would be even better!
I'm using gopro4 but I could do with a cheap buck up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do.

Comes in a nice box and a fair bit of kit, 2 batteries. Plenty of other stuff out there to add if required.

Attachments

• C2F80A4C-4B7E-4843-B34D-934EC5FAC1D2.jpg
    C2F80A4C-4B7E-4843-B34D-934EC5FAC1D2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 288
  • ACD44DFD-BC30-46B8-BF32-10252094B099.jpg
    ACD44DFD-BC30-46B8-BF32-10252094B099.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 264
Didn’t have a lot of time to mess about so mounted it on the mirror arm for now.
Video and update to follow.

Attachments

• F09BB217-1B64-4490-9E26-58BE81E26805.jpg
    F09BB217-1B64-4490-9E26-58BE81E26805.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 273
A couple of pics taken, not sure how I managed to take the one on the move. Video to follow when I've sussed out how, but on viewing vids for a £40 camera, its not bad.

Attachments

• 20160101_004620A.jpg
    20160101_004620A.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 20160101_025619A.jpg
    20160101_025619A.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 261

Back
Top Bottom