Vario Panniers - Heat Shield

ratbiker

Reaction score
Morning.

I have just found that the heat shield on my exhaust side pannier and broken free in a couple of spots. Namely the two spots at the top where the brackets bolts to the pannier and a couple of spots below. It seems that the top one was originally welded on? The ones below just seem to be molded / melted into the plastic of the case?

Anyway has anyone else had this problem and solved it? If so how please?

I had the same thing happen on a Vario pannier. One of the spot welds failed-- easily repaired with a rivet after carefully drilling the two metal bits.
Not sure how to tackle the plastic bit-- self tapper maybe depending how thick the plastic is at that point and depending if the case is double skinned.

I was thinking a drill and rivet for the top section.

I can't see how the bottom bits have been done? It looks like it was just melted into the plastic which I find a little strange.

I did consider the self tapper but then the thought of water ingress 'sprung' to mind!

I was thinking a drill and rivet for the top section.

I can't see how the bottom bits have been done? It looks like it was just melted into the plastic which I find a little strange.

I did consider the self tapper but then the thought of water ingress 'sprung' to mind!

Self tapper, but run the tapper through a blob of silicone sealant, and seal over the top of the screw

How much water do you think will get in?

I really don’t know. I guess it depends how deep the river are! Lol

Self tapper is an option. Although I would like to know how thick that plastic is or whether it is double lined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was in deep enough for water to start seeping through a silicon sealed self tapper, I think I would have much bigger problems to worry about first....

I think I have located the problem. There are three screw holding the heat shield in place. The uppermost point has broken / fractured free of the mounting point.

Self tappers are an option. Little ones. Not got much to go on with the one of the left hand side mind.

f12b50d94f63e04eb76ab3e48e6ff48e.jpg

Last edited:
Pop rivets look to be your best bet. Put two in each bracket tail/flange. Can you drill though without the drill ripping into stuff on the other side that you don't want drilled?

Drilling through should be ok. Certainly putting two in each side is a good idea. Although looking at the left on I am going to struggle to get 1 in there where it has fractured. It’s half the size of what it should be.

(I know size isn’t everything mind)

Drill out welds and add a couple of small stainless nuts/bolts and large "penny" washers. That should clamp it down and spread the load.

Drill out welds and add a couple of small stainless nuts/bolts and large "penny" washers. That should clamp it down and spread the load.

It's snapped off at one of the spot welds so ideally needs a new "top hat" thingy. Pop rivets are smaller than bolts (usually) so you should get two into either side and one for sure on the fractured side.

I think I have located the problem. There are three screw holding the heat shield in place. The uppermost point has broken / fractured free of the mounting point.

Self tappers are an option. Little ones. Not got much to go on with the one of the left hand side mind.

Mine did exactly that in France a couple of years back, couldn't figure out where the buzzing was coming from to start with!

I bought some mouldable epoxy/metal paste fixing stuff and carefully shaped it around the broken bracket. I haven't had to touch it since. It's a bit Heath-Robinson, but - hey-ho!

Looking at the broken bracket in your pic, it shouldn't be too hard to cut something out and bend it into shape to replace it,

Mine did exactly that in France a couple of years back, couldn't figure out where the buzzing was coming from to start with!

I bought some mouldable epoxy/metal paste fixing stuff and carefully shaped it around the broken bracket. I haven't had to touch it since. It's a bit Heath-Robinson, but - hey-ho!

Ah so I’m not the only one then. Good to know it’s not just me. Do you remember what product you used?

Looking at the broken bracket in your pic, it shouldn't be too hard to cut something out and bend it into shape to replace it,

I thought that too. Although it does sit at a funny old angle. 🤷🏻*♂️

Get some dexion,

or a bit of sheet steel and fashion a new bracket

or see if any local welder can spot a couple of welds accross the busted bit

Just found the packet in the garage - summat called "Idées-fix - Repare a Vie". Epoxy resin with with titanium when translated.

Thanks for that. I have found an engineering company who can spot weld it for me. So hopefully that should hold it l!

Back
Top Bottom