Finally

Dazlove

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2010 Twin Cam Adventure finally reached the 150k mark this afternoon.

Due to work circumstances, this took a little longer than expected, but was a feeling of accomplishment.

She will be going out to pasture at the end of the week, with another 2010 TC already primed to take over.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 891
Nice one. Tell us more though - servicing, what went wrong or wore out, how has it stood up to the mileage.

Mine is on a mere 80,000 and getting bit shabby tbh (paint & general corrosion) and I think a couple of issues bubbling under - something is causing it to feel a but rough and it cuts out every now and then (changed the coils but suspect a lambda too - it needs blast to degunge the lambda). It all works however and is still good to ride.

All your own mileage :bow
Please Show the condition of the steed now after this mileage as you obviously use it as a commuter in all weathers :thumb2

Nice one. Tell us more though - servicing, what went wrong or wore out, how has it stood up to the mileage.

Mine is on a mere 80,000 and getting bit shabby tbh (paint & general corrosion) and I think a couple of issues bubbling under - something is causing it to feel a but rough and it cuts out every now and then (changed the coils but suspect a lambda too - it needs blast to degunge the lambda). It all works however and is still good to ride.

Sounds like mine. It will get some cosmetic TLC after Easter.

Now in the For Sale Section

As stated in the original post, this work horse now needs to go.

Pictures and a brief history are in the For Sale section.

Many thanks

Cost of Ownership

A few people have sent messages asking how much it has cost to run a bike to this sort of mileage.

Cost of bike secondhand (with 5,500 miles on the clock) £11,500
Servicing/Tyres/Shocks*/driveshaft (not warranty)/bevel drive etc to 144,000** miles £17,600
Motorrad Extended Warranty to 80,000 miles £1,000

*A set of Wilbers ESA at 80k miles, a revelation, possibly the best thing I bought.
**Why 144,000 miles – I just couldn’t bring myself to have the last service done, especially as I didn’t know where the bike was going to or whether it was going to be broken etc.

What is not included in the costs above are the warranty items replaced.

Whilst there are numerous threads on whether one should extend the warranty or not, my foot is well and truly in the extended warranty camp.
Items replaced under warranty include exhaust system, alternator, driveshaft, a couple of sets of rear shocks (until the 30k mark) and the rider information/dash amongst other knickknacks.
I have also found that with the warranty in place I have never had any issues with having work done, I have not had to justify anything to get a replacement. That said, I am a great customer (or so I think!), having the bike serviced at some point almost every 2-3 months.

To answer another contentious question…..what oil did I use? Other than what was put in by BMW at service time, which did change over the life of the bike, I have always stuck with the original Castrol Power 1 15W-50 4T.

Whilst it appears to be very expensive to own and run, costs could have been reduced with indy servicing or doing some of the work myself (I am actually a dab hand with spanners) but my commuting route takes me past Bahnstormers, Alton, so for me, they have provided a brilliant ride in ride out service, with loan bikes at every service, so I always had transport.

The other thing to bear in mind, for me, this is not a big boys luxury toy (Unlike my 500 EXC 😊) but my day to day transport. We only own one car, that my better half uses. I only have the bike, come rain or shine.
My thoughts are it’s not about the money, it’s a lifestyle choice. I love riding bikes, and in particular I love riding GS’s. Yes, occasionally I get to work, a bit wet and a bit cold, and people look at me as though I am mad, struggling to get out of waterproofs etc, and then trying to get my gear dry (Why don’t offices cater for bikers!) But, at the end of the day, I’m back on the bike with a big smile on my face, there’s nothing better!

Here’s looking to the next 150k on Bumble (my latest yellow 2010 Twin Cam, just bought in to service)

Hopefully the above provides some interest, thanks for reading, and safe riding

Dazlove

Thanks Dazlove, very insightful and interesting reading

Nice update Dazlove.

Just out of interest, you weren't interested in the leap to an LC?

Nice update Dazlove.

Just out of interest, you weren't interested in the leap to an LC?

Hi Roberto

Originally I looked at replacing the old air/oil cooled engine for an LC, but you can't beat experience.

Having taken my old 1150 to 140k and then the 1200 to 150k, I know they are capable of doing the mileage.

There have been issues with the early LC's, and to be fair, I'm so reliant on the bike, I wasn't prepared to take the gamble.

Yes, I might have bought a newer bike, but then, although I love them, its hard watching your massive investment turn to dust and very little return.

I kept my eyes open (and so did the dealers), and got another 2010 Twin Cam for just under £8k with 16k miles, plus two years warranty that I can extend.

Don't get me wrong though, having ridden a new 1200 GS LC with gear shift assist is awesome!

Ah, yep. All makes good sense there Daz.

I think when my one (MU Hexhead single cam) shuffles off I'd probably do same as you and look for one of the last of the Twin Cams with low miles to see me out. Mind you, mine only has 60K so a long way to go fingers crossed and all that.

Here's to the next 150k!! :thumb

And now on her second lease of life up in sunny Cheshire, Looking forward to the next 150,000 miles hooning around the North Wales A roads, but I would not hesitate to hop on her tomorrow and go to the south of France :thumb2

iaTGbQSh.jpg

So glad to see how well the TC lasts with care! Super

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope to be buried alongside my 1200 like a (road)warrior with his warhorse. :D

At a mere 45,000 self-serviced miles in 10 years mine seems pretty amateur, although I share the riding across several bikes (and one car if icy), to balance the wear ‘n tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post - good to see the 150k bike in such good shape. On my second TC (13 plate GSA) and hope it lasts as well as yours.

She looks great for 150k.
Glad to see this topic as I'll soon be picking up a 20041150gs Adv with 90k on which I plan on riding until it falls apart. Like yourself the mrs has the car and I ride all year round.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looks bloody good for 150k miles. Well done to Dazlove for looking after it so well. Makes me feel good about switching from my 1150. Personally I'm loving the 1200 TC. Seems like the best bike I've had.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Nearly 3 years later, I don’t do many miles (like everyone else last year where I think I only did around 500 miles :eek:) so now approaching 155,000 miles, just flew through another MOT, still running strong although the colour has changed a few times :rolleyes: Going to be changing the wheels to alloys in the next few weeks and a few other bits as well.

vNnPbEV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom