Temp bike insurance in UK for non residents

Ropey

Reaction score
Just bought a bike in Southampton and planning to fly over on Saturday to collect it and drive back to Holyhead for the ferry home. Easy!!

Just rang CN and they won’t insure the new bike till it lands in Ireland.... balls!!

I could get the dealer to ‘deliver’ to Holyhead but that means buying sight unseen.

Anyone got any other options other than just drive it to Holyhead!!

Cheers,
Jr

That's a bit odd. They should cover it.

I went over a got a bike recently. I rang Principal who I've never had a policy with and got insured. Told them it was a UK reg and I'd be going over that week to collect. They said no bother and to update them when I re-registered it over here.

Have heard of this before - but only with CN. Totally twatish behaviour so it is. They'll cover you third party on someone else's bike, but they won't let you ride a bike that you've just purchased?? What's that all about.

Worst thing is, I've just signed up with them after Adelaide pulled the plug in ROI. Shouldn't have to fork out for van rental, or ferry tickets - especially when other insurance companies are happy to cover you. :mad:

I looked at hiring a van when I went over in January. Worked out way too expensive. Enterprise van hire would let you use the van in the UK but there was something like an €80 surcharge for it.

Ring up CN to cancel your policy and tell them why. You are going with Principal as they'll insure you in the UK on a new bike. See what they say.

Will they not let it be insured using frame and engine numbers and as a pending registration bike? They wouldn't need to know its in Uk to do that, would they?

If you can arrange a rough meeting time, perhaps get the bike couriered to Holyhead which will probably cost around £100.

Obviously doesn't help that you can't get to see the bike first.

Thanks for all the advise lads... Very much appreciated.

I'm currently working on 3 options :

1. Add the bike to our company motor insurance(should know tomorrow) if that's a runner for the 2 days.
2. Talking to a broker in the UK who says he can get me temp insurance for 2 days(got his details from ADVRider)
3. Have quote from Principle for the next 12 months. Would mean cancelling CN and claiming refund and I think losing one years NCB with CN as I wouldn't finish the year??

Bottom line, I have options... Once again I'm saying I'll never deal with CN again :augie

Cheers,
Jr
:thumb

Carol Nash get worse by the year.

Yep , their policies and procedures vary from week to week and are very dependant upon which operator you speak to .................... last week I rang about my renewal and as there was a query I rang the number on the renewal forms and appeared to end up speaking to an operative in shall we say warmer climes .

Made little sense so rang back on the number from the UK website for bike insurance and sorted it straight away.................. apparently the factory options on my new bike that CN reckoned last year meant as a new bike my Basic GSA was more stealable than a TE and cost £140 for six months no longer apply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same insurance company

Last resort, ask someone off here to go have a look, take loads of detailed pics to send you and take it from there ?

I met a guy on the ferry last year who had just bought a Triumph in the UK with the same story as in CN would not insure. He (and his Da) got an early ferry over to Holyhead and hired a van, drove to somewhere outside Manchester and collected the bike and was back in Holyhead by the afternoon. He returned the van and drove the bike the few hundred metres on to the ferry.

Ya,I bought a bike up north last August and CN refused point blank to cover me to test ride it or drive it home if I bought it,I had felt bad about not moving back to Principal as there was only a few euro difference so thought it not worth the hassle but my policy is up next month and if Principle are anywhere near CN(which I reckon they will)I'll go with them,I just feer that CN are trying to price out the competition and get the monopoly and then screw us big time,we seen this b4 in the 80's,90's:bow

is it a BMW dealer ? Couldn't they offer you cover on their insurance as an extended test ride perhaps until you got to the ferry?

This is what I was thinking

In France when you try a bike or car they give you a temporary insurance cover to show to plod

If it’s the same in GB just ask if they can give you one for the ride to Holyhead

Hey John,

You shouldn't have any problem with Principle. They will insure bikes on uk plate for a month until you get it changed over. CN are cnuts!

Back
Top Bottom