Rear Brakes...

Changed my original rear pads just the once from new at the 12k mile service.

Just checked, T.C. is controlled through the ignition, we cannot blame pad wear on the TC.
The OP's pad wear does seem rather excessive, the worst I have heard of.
If BMW say that the service interval is 6000mls and the pads don't last that long, then it is BMW's problem not yours.

If BMW say that the service interval is 6000mls and the pads don't last that long, then it is BMW's problem not yours.

Not if the OP keeps leaving the handbrake on. ;)

You're correct in my view. The service interval ought to get a vehicle, operated by someone with no mechanical skills, to the next service without the requirement to address any service life limited item. The oil change requirement is 6k miles or 12 months - if the oil could not be expected to last that long, the service interval for that job would be shorter. Same ought to go for pads.

Just checked, T.C. is controlled through the ignition, we cannot blame pad wear on the TC.

Not if the OP keeps leaving the handbrake on. ;)

You're correct in my view. The service interval ought to get a vehicle, operated by someone with no mechanical skills, to the next service without the requirement to address any service life limited item. The oil change requirement is 6k miles or 12 months - if the oil could not be expected to last that long, the service interval for that job would be shorter. Same ought to go for pads.

As the OP, I think the wear is excessive too...

Yes, it looks like its going to become BMW's problem because I think its excessive. The next two weeks will tell.

Thanks again

Phill

rear pads

I don,t drag my rear brake but have just fitted my 4th set of rear pads at 14500 mile in my 66 reg GSA 😒, the bikes not even two years old until Sept 18 🤨 Don,t pay BMW prices to replace even in warrenty they a a quick 10min job and you can get the EBC 209 HH from £20 to £24 on flee bay or whatever other make ypu fancy, BMW branded don,t last anylonger

I don,t drag my rear brake but have just fitted my 4th set of rear pads at 14500 mile in my 66 reg GSA , the bikes not even two years old until Sept 18 🤨 Don,t pay BMW prices to replace even in warrenty they a a quick 10min job and you can get the EBC 209 HH from £20 to £24 on flee bay or whatever other make ypu fancy, BMW branded don,t last anylonger

4 sets of pads in 14500 miles

Really?

That's outrageous

4 sets of pads in 14500 miles

Really?

That's outrageous

As I mentioned elsewhere, the service interval is 1 year or 6K miles. There should be no life limited or wearing parts which are not capable of lasting this interval, otherwise the average Joe wouldn't be able to use the vehicle safely. If oil only lasted 3k miles, the service interval would be set there - brakes are no less critical.

My first set of pads were 50% worn at the 6k service, but I had to get a new set fitted in Italy 2k miles later as they were almost worn down to the backing plate after a few days in the Alps and Italian Lakes :eek:

Allan Jefferies claimed the second set were almost worn out at the 12k service, but I said I’d change them myself - they were less than 50% worn and I changed them at around 16k.

EBC state that the minimum thickness is 2mm, so I fitted a new set last weekend before the MOT at 22.5k miles. Those fitted at 16k we’re down to 1.5mm.

I think I’ll take a set with me on the next long tour in 2018 to save the 85 Euros I was charged by a main dealer....

I rarely touch the rear brake, but do ride on twisty roads two-up all the time, so perhaps use my brakes harder than most

As I mentioned elsewhere, the service interval is 1 year or 6K miles. There should be no life limited or wearing parts which are not capable of lasting this interval, otherwise the average Joe wouldn't be able to use the vehicle safely. If oil only lasted 3k miles, the service interval would be set there - brakes are no less critical.

I'm with you shippers...
This WILL be getting mentioned when I go back to see them in a fortnight...

Yes really and I agree outrageous 3 sets worn out this is the 4th set just gone in. Had a Honda Crosstourer before no issue with pad wear on that so its not me ��

Are the my2017/18 bikes' rear brake still organic pads with soft rotor? The 13/14 were, so you have to be mindful that changing to sintered pads will wear out the rotor pretty quick, too.

be mindful that changing to sintered pads will wear out the rotor pretty quick, too.

Not my experience.

My GS is at 26k using sintered for the past 12k at least - showing no more signs of wear than when I bought it. My previous RT did at least 40k at the rear using sintered on the same disc and still within tolerance. The fronts were at 72k when I sold it - always on sintered and within tolerance.

I think I’ll take a set with me on the next long tour in 2018 to save the 85 Euros I was charged by a main dealer....

Now that, Sven, is not one of the daftest ideas I've read on here. Those who have doubts over the longevity of their rear pads might do well to drop a spare set in with their touring tool pack. Fortunately, changing them is a breeze.

So if my GSA is on 17 plate, which pads should I go for on the rears as service manager at the dealers told me I have 2-3k left in them. OEM pads are like £70 odd plus fitting so want to get them done before bike goes in for 12k service which is due in about 2k.

Should I buy Brembo, EBC, Ferodo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing and bought a spare set of rear pads for my 2011 twin cam when the bike had done 6000 miles. Took them with me on several European trips and I still have them new, in my garage, even though the bike was traded in for an LC GSA last summer. The bike had done 29000 miles and the rear pads were still only 30% worn. I think the secret is to thoroughly clean and rubber grease the caliper seals each time a tyre is changed. I can’t understand how they wear out so quickly for some people.
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom