Rear Brakes...

Phill Elston

Rum Bosun
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought my GSA brand new this time last year. At 4000miles, I had a tyre written off so it went in for new ones to be fitted. At that point it was noticed that the rear pads were badly worn and needed replacement. I was a little perplexed as I didn't think that I'd been using my rear brake THAT much, but took it that I must have done, making a mental note not to be using the rear brake too much at all from then.

Went into Bahnstormer today for the 1st annual service. All OK apart from... Yep, "rear brake pads are badly worn" Discussed with the service manager that I would return in about three weeks, after my planned trip from Wiltshire, around the North Coast 500 and back. If the rear pads are excessively worn then, The back end of the bike will get looked at.

Has anyone else had similar issues? If so, what did it turn out was the cause? How was it rectified?

Thanks all.

Are you wearing big daft ruffty tuffty off road type boots and dragging the back brake without realising it ?

3 sets of rears used on my 15my GSA over 13000 miles which was apparently fine??

Very strange. GS1200 Had service 2 weeks ago. Pads front and rear 4mm, min is 1mm. Even wear just shy of 6k.

Whip them out yourself to be sure - literally takes a couple minutes and compare thickness with new specs

Looking at the read out from my GS-911wifi it tells me that I use the rear brake at a ratio of about 3:1 over the front brake. This is strange as I tend to only use the front brake lever. A little investigation, ie clearing the readings and taking a 10 minute ride and then re reading, shows the same ratio. I know for definite that I did not touch the rear brake pedal on that ride. The integral linked brakes apply the rear brake slightly before the front brake, so much so that gently feathering the brake doesn’t seem to apply the front brake at all. My conclusion is that the rear pads will wear quicker than the front ones as the fronts never get used with out the rear already operating.
Alan R

I’m on the same pads all round at 15k miles with plenty of life left. It’s a 2014 so wonder if there’s different compounds depending on year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were changed after dealer told me they needed doing. 12,500ml service so can live with that

I remember this coming up a while ago and they may have changed the compound of the pad etc to alleviate this a while ago or perhaps I’m just not recalling it correctly but I do remember this coming up allot in the first year of the LC.

Mine wear pretty evenly as I never really feather the brakes - minor speed correction is done with engine braking (pretty darned effective when the revs are anyway north of 3k) any use of the brakes themselves is done positively - well it needs to be to decelerate my 18 stone....

I've just replaced my rear pads, 16,000km. Knackered. The handbook (2016 bike) says organic pads, but looking on here some say that the later bikes have sintered pads. I talked to my local independent servicing guy, he says either, but with organic, the disc lasts longer.
So I'll just see how these go, the softer Ferodo 'Platinum' range.

Bahnstormer told me that my rear (original from new) pads will need changing at 12k mile service. My bike is a year and two weeks old. Currently done just under 10k miles. Ironically it needs new final drive and driveshaft housing under warranty due to corrosion.

Checked front and rear pads on mine a few weeks ago. Both ends showing around 1mm of wear in 6000 miles. The rears don’ Start off with that much meat on them. One thing to note when measuring against specification, is the spec is against total pad thickness including back plate. Most online pad suppliers advertise them with measurements.

My Nav 5 tells me how many times my front and rear brake are applied on each ride out. 2013 GS. EVEN IF I don't touch the rear brake at all the computer will!!

Hi mate,

I’m changing my rear pads this week 14.5k on the clock from new, would wonder why the pads are shot so early toooo!

Oh my bike is on its 2ndengine, 3rd drive shaft and 2nd rear shock! All due t paint issues!

Good luck

Cheers all. I’m not tres happy that at 6k miles I’m on the third set of pads, so it looks like it’ll be back in the shop after the trip... especially as I’ve now had to pay for two sets of pads!

My Nav 5 tells me how many times my front and rear brake are applied on each ride out. 2013 GS. EVEN IF I don't touch the rear brake at all the computer will!!

Traction control does too.

Traction control does too.

Are you sure? I thought it was via the ignition.

Regarding rear brakes, if you comfort brake and/or do a lot of town riding the GS will eat rear brakes.
When I ride it is always on open flowing roads at a decent speed so my brake usage tends to be firm application, my 03/17 Gs has done 11500mls and does not seem to have much rear pad wear.

Back
Top Bottom