1200gs rear suspension soft?

Inusleroux

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my second post hopefully it’s in the correct place..

My 2006 Gs feels very soft in the rear suspension even after adjustment it looks well down. As I had only me and a travel kit on it it just felt soft but today one of my friends sat on it and it looked well down. Does anyone have some sort of measurements on what it should be like the travel in the shock if that makes sense?

Thanks

After 12 years, the suspension, will at the very least be due a service. I wouldn't bother with measurements. It's comparing apples and grapes. Do you know if it has standard spring still for example, maybe a "softer" one was fitted 6 years ago...

K-tech, mct etc can do them for around £200 per shock including a spring suitable for weight/load.

From memory, big wheel adjuster = white power, small wheel adjuster = showa.

Interestingly K-tech rated the showa better than WP to service/build quality.

You could, purchase second hand pair for rebuild, allows you to use your bike and gives you spare set.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

i have just seen a pair on here for sale ,low miles but from a twin cam so 2010 onwards ,dont know if the are inter changeable though

My shock is the same. Its hard to get right. I have the rebound screw 3/4 in which has helped.

But we both know the real solution. Stock shocks are crap even when new.

I have replaced my front with a YSS shock. Saving for the rear. Front is very impressive. Catches lots of smaller bumps and front feels planted now.

The Showa and WP shocks are interchangeable across all Hexhead models. The ESA versions are not.

When I put GS shocks onto the Adventure (ESAs need rebuilding) I noticed the ride is harder so the bike sags less under rider's weight so I now find the reach to floor is a struggle. Its also fidgety over rough roads where the ESAs floated over the crap. The ESA gave a more compliant ride and for those times when a higher ride height was wanted could be wound up to super model leg lengths.

If I'm ever able to justify Wilbers WESA on this bike I will go for the first size lower.

If it's any use I have a rebuilt rear shock, bought it for my 2005 then a much more expensive nitron turned up before I had a chance to fit it...damn.
Anyway PM me if you're interested.
6993edc193ad5e4579e7bcda4e267ea4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If it's any use I have a rebuilt rear shock, bought it for my 2005 then a much more expensive nitron turned up before I had a chance to fit it...damn.
Anyway PM me if you're interested.
6993edc193ad5e4579e7bcda4e267ea4.jpg

Forgot about the subscriber PM thing...so email on rvreid@gmail.com if you're interested in the shock.

Thank you everyone, I’m looking into aftermarket shocks. But I’m also going to ride it to my nearest dealer and get the crack to see if they can learn me something.

Thank you everyone, I’m looking into aftermarket shocks. But I’m also going to ride it to my nearest dealer and get the crack to see if they can learn me something.
Have a long hard think about how you ride, where you ride and what % you're solo, pillion and laden.

I found K-tech very helpful and pleasant to deal with, the gsa is running a custom hyperpro setup; whoever you decide, talk to them it's your hard earned money after all!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
This is my second post hopefully it’s in the correct place..

My 2006 Gs feels very soft in the rear suspension even after adjustment it looks well down. As I had only me and a travel kit on it it just felt soft but today one of my friends sat on it and it looked well down. Does anyone have some sort of measurements on what it should be like the travel in the shock if that makes sense?

Thanks

I just replaced the suspension front & rear with Wilber at Revs, my 2013 GSA’s couldn’t cope with my weight, and was soft, sitting low and awful with a pillion.

The Wilber’s is mind blowing! The ride hight is taller due to correct set-up to my weight and is so smooth, I’m over the moon with it.

Best mod/improvement I’ve done.
8b0f0b7b1ad9f7a1c956a87799cbeeaf.jpg
83a0924fb98057cf49a19f87b86432c9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the springs that support the bike, the shock controls the spring. The GS is soft out the box. Replacing the rear spring with a hyperpro progressive rear spring from motor works is a simple job, will cost you under £90 including cost of hiring the spring compressor from them and will totally transform how your bike rides. It will also deal with pillion and luggage much much better too. I have done my ESA bike 2010 and a 2008 ESA bike and it's the best value mod on the bike.

It's the springs that support the bike, the shock controls the spring. The GS is soft out the box. Replacing the rear spring with a hyperpro progressive rear spring from motor works is a simple job, will cost you under £90 including cost of hiring the spring compressor from them and will totally transform how your bike rides. It will also deal with pillion and luggage much much better too. I have done my ESA bike 2010 and a 2008 ESA bike and it's the best value mod on the bike.

Thanks, I was thinking off doing something like this... as I’ve just been getting prices in some company’s wanting to charge me a 3rd what the bike is worth!😳

My Ohlins will shortly be for sale due to selling the bike, just need to finish removing them. Let me know if of any interest.

Best shocks I've ever fitted.

Stu.

Posh shocks are not cheap but keep the OEMs for when you sell the bike then recoup some of the posh shocks costs when you sell them on.

Bought my non ESA shocks from Revs last year, what a good firm they are and nothing was too much trouble for John.
First order to Portugal got lost so he ordered another set from Germany and DHL delivered in two days - very impressed.

My Ohlins will shortly be for sale due to selling the bike, just need to finish removing them. Let me know if of any interest.

Best shocks I've ever fitted.

Stu.

Evening,

I was originally after a custom set of Wilbers WESA shocks. Can you PM me if the Ohlins are still for sale and the spec?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom