Jump Starting F800GS

tuttobicci

Reaction score
On one occasion over this current winter I had to jump start the bike (always helps to switch the optimate on at the mains:hammer ) I've always thought access to the battery was a real pain in the a*se. Is there anything out there that will allow connection to battery without 'tank' removal? That's all. Thank you.

I had the same thought after needing a jump start!

I was looking at These Cables in various lengths in Halfords.

You could use it to extend at jump start point to a more convenient place - a decent end cap would need to be put in place to prevent tragedy though!!

D

There will be a big cable from the battery to the starter motor. Are you able to get to the starter end of the cable. If you can then connect the positive to that connector and the negative to the starter body to jump start.

There will be a big cable from the battery to the starter motor. Are you able to get to the starter end of the cable. If you can then connect the positive to that connector and the negative to the starter body to jump start.

AA chap tried that with me & it didn't work, I had to give him access to the actual terminals to get started, which is why I looked at other options.

D

At a push you can clamp the jump lead to a big screwdriver and then hold the tip of the screwdriver against the starter terminal. The earth lead will not normally be a problem.

The canbus and the other electronic boxes on the bike need to be fed some wiggly amps before the bike will fire up, hence the need to connect up to the battery.

I've taken to not fitting the front two bolts, the ones either side of the ignition switch, just the top four that hold down the cover panel, so's it'll be a bit less faffing about should I ever need to jump start my bike (never has, says he grasping the nearest lump of wood :D )

I carry one of those small jump start booster packs in my "Get-out-of Jail" tool pack, should I ever need to do the jump start thing. Only ever had to use it on my son's 990 Adventure :eek: :D - he saw the light a short while later and got a F8GS, just like his dads :D

SteveT

:cool:

The canbus and the other electronic boxes on the bike need to be fed some wiggly amps before the bike will fire up, hence the need to connect up to the battery.

I've taken to not fitting the front two bolts, the ones either side of the ignition switch, just the top four that hold down the cover panel, so's it'll be a bit less faffing about should I ever need to jump start my bike (never has, says he grasping the nearest lump of wood :D )

I carry one of those small jump start booster packs in my "Get-out-of Jail" tool pack, should I ever need to do the jump start thing. Only ever had to use it on my son's 990 Adventure :eek: :D - he saw the light a short while later and got a F8GS, just like his dads :D

SteveT

:cool:

I lost those 2 headstock bolts / fittings about 20,000 miles ago and can confirm you dont need them!

You cannot boost to the starter because there is no solenoid switch there and thus no direct connection to the battery. The solenoid is up under the plastic bodywork on the left side.

There is a german company selling a cable for this purpose. Check Amazon or Amazon.de for Baas BS103. I’ve bought and installed one but haven’t needed it yet.

There is a german company selling a cable for this purpose. Check Amazon or Amazon.de for Baas BS103. I’ve bought and installed one but haven’t needed it yet.

Wunderlich sell this kit

BAAS Bikestart
Part No. 23940-100

I have it fitted, it can also be used to charge with an optimate. HTH

Back
Top Bottom