Ohlins for a 2005 1200

North

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting Ohlins for my Bike for a while. Just been wondering what, if any improvement with them. I can expect. I have never been happy with the suspension off road and would like to see a big improvement there. My Bike is a 2005 1200GS with the stock shocks on right now.

Thanks

Rick

Attachments

• 10917893_10153101799469954_5508410559497519110_n.jpg
    10917893_10153101799469954_5508410559497519110_n.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 328
Wilbers are about 50% of the cost of Ohlins and very good so don't write them off.

I'm personally not convinced the added benefit of Ohlins justifies the considerably added costs over what is already an expensive upgrade. But I'm not riding your bike so its all personal opinion TBH.

YSS seem to be worth considering. In my eyes suspension and correct set up is the best upgrade you can do

Bought some wp fully adjustable suspension off this site a couple of years ago. Improved the handling massively. Ride height adjustment and high speed and low speed damping adjustment that really makes a difference. Fitted to a 2005 gs

I run Ohlins on my GSA and they are fantastic. My bike gets a tough old life with a huge mixture of conditions and road surfaces and teh suspension eats it and as already stated, it's the best thing you can do for your bike and you don't realise how good it is until you ride a standard bike again.

I got mine from the good people at Kais suspension in Manchester who also helped me set the bike up perfectly for my eight style etc.

Just to make the point I was not trying to knock Ohlins, just saying that Wibers units will give a massive improvement over stock. A huge bang for the bucks.
Doubling their cost (and some) for Ohlins will not give 2x that original improvement over stock.

Obviously if you need / want that easy ounce of suspension performance then go for it, but I suspect on roads the benefits are unlikely to outweigh the additional costs.

I went for custom hyperpro, although K-tech also do shocks now too. Wilbers are ok.

Personally, after couple of years they'll be in need of a full service. I'd look at getting standard ones serviced and a weight appropriate springs fitted.

As for Ohlins, 4 sets of fork seals on the RsvR SP, crap. K-tech seals still fine.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My Ohlins will shortly be for sale due to selling the bike, just need to finish removing them. Let me know if of any interest.

Best shocks I've ever fitted.

Stu.

People complain when OEM shocks go off colour after 15K to 20K miles. However my rear was taken off after 35K with poor damping but no leaks.
Precision aftermarket units can never manage that and continue to maintain their performance. If they are pushed too far the rebuild costs will soar as more stuff has to be replaced.

Wilbers and I’m sure all other half decent brands ask for a service interval every 15K.
We don’t expect engines to run for ever without servicing. Shocks are no different.

The snag is sending your suspension away for service and doing without the bike while the work is done.

People complain when OEM shocks go off colour after 15K to 20K miles. However my rear was taken off after 35K with poor damping but no leaks.
Precision aftermarket units can never manage that and continue to maintain their performance. If they are pushed too far the rebuild costs will soar as more stuff has to be replaced.

Wilbers and I’m sure all other half decent brands ask for a service interval every 15K.
We don’t expect engines to run for ever without servicing. Shocks are no different.

The snag is sending your suspension away for service and doing without the bike while the work is done.
Hyperpro recommend rebuild every two years or 12,000M, which for me equates to 7 months !

I got original shocks rebuilt, by K-tech for £400, and just swap them round as required.

I did ask at last service for rr, what the service time for shocks was, I got a funny look. Sachs haven't got back to me

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the all the input and the offer. :thumb2

Shortly I am off to RMR Suspensions to talk Shocks. :) They did my Husky Suspensions and told me on the phone that the change with Ohlins will be like having a different (better) Bike. The Guy said he states his reputation on it. Anyways, he also said that there where other options as well.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks for the all the input and the offer. :thumb2

Shortly I am off to RMR Suspensions to talk Shocks. :) They did my Husky Suspensions and told me on the phone that the change with Ohlins will be like having a different (better) Bike. The Guy said he states his reputation on it. Anyways, he also said that there where other options as well.

Thanks

Rick

No arguments there. Wilbers make a massive improvement. Ohlins will be even better. Having ridden Wilbers they would be more than good enough for me but if the budget allows why not go the whole hog.
Don’t forget to have them correctly serviced. Use a reliable courier.

Back
Top Bottom