ESA noises??

Did you change the setting accidentally before you started it? Sound like it's adjusting, does it do it every switch on ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mine never made any noise, but then it only ever operated with the engine running. You might have a fault.

Mine never made any noise, but then it only ever operated with the engine running. You might have a fault.
Not had mine long enough to help I am afraid mine makes a noise when you change setting with engine off I know that

I always believed it would not operate unless engine running in neutral. To be fair I never checked it with engine off.

I always believed it would not operate unless engine running in neutral. To be fair I never checked it with engine off.
My rear one has been relplaced with a hagon so I only hear the front the rear was leaking so the previous owner replaced it

My rear one has been relplaced with a hagon so I only hear the front the rear was leaking so the previous owner replaced it

Hagon do an esa fit shock ???

I know hyperpro do them and first service free too.

Firefox racing are worth contacting.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hagon do an esa fit shock ???

I know hyperpro do them and first service free too.

Firefox racing are worth contacting.

Sorry I have confused you this is not esa on rear now only front the rear is manually adjustable with another reservoir and a knarled knob

Sorry I have confused you this is not esa on rear now only front the rear is manually adjustable with another reservoir and a knarled knob

Makes sense now; unless you've got the electronics for the original rear shock, I'd look to replace the pair with non esa ones.

Lots of choice, hagon don't have that good a reputation, can be hit or miss.

I went Hyperpro custom built for my fuller figure !

Get a secondhand pair rebuilt for you and flog front esa shock.

Makes sense now; unless you've got the electronics for the original rear shock, I'd look to replace the pair with non esa ones.

Lots of choice, hagon don't have that good a reputation, can be hit or miss.

I went Hyperpro custom built for my fuller figure !

Get a secondhand pair rebuilt for you and flog front esa shock.

Is it worth getting a working rear for the esa setup or is it a bit sub standard from the off in your opinion

Turned the ignition on this afternoon and thought the rear shock made a funny noise.

Is this normal??

https://youtu.be/D_R2YiGEHi0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure it was the shock. The exhaust flappy valve isn't far away and that does make a noise. The ESA motor is (or should be) almost silent in operation. I would try adjusting it through its range just make sure its working ok. Which version of the shock is it? White Power or Showa? If its WP the only place I know of that can repair the motor is Tractive Suspension (was WP) in Holland. https://www.esarepair.com Shock and motor service seems to be quite reasonable. If its Showa, then I don't know, but the guys at Tractive might be able to help.

Wilbers shocks re-use the ESA motors so if the motor is knackered then buying Wilbers ESA isn't going to help. You will need the manual adjusters from Wilbers.

I agree with Austin, remove the silencer and check that the flappy valve is working properly before going in for expensive suspension replacements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now you have said that I went back out to the garage.

This time I placed my hand on the shock cover whilst turning the ignition on and off. Hoping to feel a vibration to confirm it was coming from there. No vibration.

Does the 2008 have a flappy thing in the exhaust?

I then did the same with the exhaust system. Couldn’t feel anything in there either. The only place I could see a possibly flappy thing being in the system was where the pipes split from the single rear into the twin pipes moving forward along the system.

Confused.

Although I did see some oil residue around the bottom and top of the shaft.

7bbcca4c26daabad7336bad948042624.jpg
7e32afaa1777beb9a10cf09882d41159.jpg

I cleaned it off and bounced up and down on it a bit, but no new residue. One to watch I think.

It’s not a bad thing if it does go as it’s covered under a warranty! I’m kind of hoping it does go in the next 23 months.

Now you have said that I went back out to the garage.

This time I placed my hand on the shock cover whilst turning the ignition on and off. Hoping to feel a vibration to confirm it was coming from there. No vibration.

Does the 2008 have a flappy thing in the exhaust?

I then did the same with the exhaust system. Couldn’t feel anything in there either. The only place I could see a possibly flappy thing being in the system was where the pipes split from the single rear into the twin pipes moving forward along the system.

Confused.

Although I did see some oil residue around the bottom and top of the shaft.

7bbcca4c26daabad7336bad948042624.jpg
7e32afaa1777beb9a10cf09882d41159.jpg

I cleaned it off and bounced up and down on it a bit, but no new residue. One to watch I think.

It’s not a bad thing if it does go as it’s covered under a warranty! I’m kind of hoping it does go in the next 23 months.

Waruntees are funny things "wear and tear" consumable items blah blah the exhaust flap is (I stand to be corrected) on the 2010 -12 model for sure it's on the bend of the link pipe just in front of the clamp on the can it has 2 cables going to it from the servo my servo works but I think the flap is toast on mine

If its under warranty I would just take it back to the dealer and ask them to investigate. Just a clarification as this is in the Hexhead section - its not a water cooled is it? My experience and therefore comments are limited to the pre-WC models.

Well in that case I don’t think I have said flappy thing as I don’t have anything with cables going in to it!

So with that in mind the only other thing there is the shock. I’ve only had the bike just over a week. Before buying it confirmed with the BMW dealer that the shock was covered under the AUB warranty. I’ve read the booklet from cover to cover and it dies say it’s excluded!

I’ll see what happens I think. See if I end up on a pogo stick!!

If its under warranty I would just take it back to the dealer and ask them to investigate. Just a clarification as this is in the Hexhead section - its not a water cooled is it? My experience and therefore comments are limited to the pre-WC models.

No not water cooled.

On a pre twin cam; you shouldn't have silly expensive noise suppression valve thingmy.

If, it's non esa back shock, it won't make any noises, assuming all the wiring, motors were removed.

Surely, it should show up faults on esa if one of the ends isn't there, or am I just being sensible.

Contact previous keeper and ask why/when rear shock was changed.

Knowledge is power !

If this bike came from a dealer, I'd be hacked off, at the very minimum you can't use esa, and if you did try, what is the handling going to be like. Front goes high, back stays low, might as well ride a Harley

It is an ESA rear shock. All is good apart from noises! Oh and maybe a little oil!

Back
Top Bottom