Water pump wows - looking for advice (sensible please)

cybergizmo

Reaction score
I bought a 2016 Triple Black (ex demo) bike 12 months ago and have done 12k miles on it since then

Bike has been reliable except for Water Pump, I have now had 3 replacement units and the last one failed after 600 miles. I am now therefore on number 4 and as far as I can tell this is already leaking and I have only done 90 miles since replaced.

What can I do :(

According to the dealer they are aware of bikes that have had upto 6 replacements before solving the issue.

I bought a 2016 Triple Black (ex demo) bike 12 months ago and have done 12k miles on it since then

Bike has been reliable except for Water Pump, I have now had 3 replacement units and the last one failed after 600 miles. I am now therefore on number 4 and as far as I can tell this is already leaking and I have only done 90 miles since replaced.

What can I do :(

According to the dealer they are aware of bikes that have had upto 6 replacements before solving the issue.

what exactly has failed? - this sounds a bit weird to me.

Spell - so sorry!

what exactly has failed? - this sounds a bit weird to me.

They have replaced the water pump inside the engine 3 times because the values have been leaking and ejecting the coolant out the breather hole in the left-hand side engine casing.

I know the issue has been seen by many but I am not aware of 1 engine killing water pumps so quickly.

I guess what I am asking is should I be asking for x (where x might be a proper diagnosis or new engine or-or or

They have replaced the water pump inside the engine 3 times because the values have been leaking and ejecting the coolant out the breather hole in the left-hand side engine casing.

I know the issue has been seen by many but I am not aware of 1 engine killing water pumps so quickly.

I guess what I am asking is should I be asking for x (where x might be a proper diagnosis or new engine or-or or

I think X in the equation might be the so-called technician unless there's a serious shortfall in the quality of the spares. Could someone be making the same fitting mistake each time? Could there be damage to the mating face on the engine itself which he has failed to recognised, so any number of pumps won't help?

not fit for purpose send it back ..

Unstoppable my arse ....

OK - so not actually a water pump failure, my first 2013 LC did this, just a slight weep from the hole in casing - not a big deal but the dealer fixed it at a few thousand miles in, if I member correctly.

There was some talk of porous engine casings being a cause in some bikes that did this repeatedly - but I cant be 100% sure about that - you could do a search on this site - I believe in some cases the engine was replaced BUT if it is just a small weep that doesn't have a significant effect upon the coolant level then I would not worry too much.

OK - so not actually a water pump failure, my first 2013 LC did this, just a slight weep from the hole in casing - not a big deal but the dealer fixed it at a few thousand miles in, if I member correctly.

There was some talk of porous engine casings being a cause in some bikes that did this repeatedly - but I cant be 100% sure about that - you could do a search on this site - I believe in some cases the engine was replaced BUT if it is just a small weep that doesn't have a significant effect upon the coolant level then I would not worry too much.

It's using the coolant from Max to Min in about 600 miles. And as you probably know you have to take the side fairing off to refill it.

Thank you for the advice, I will have a more serious discussion with the dealer and as for a resolution.

It shouldn’t leak full stop. If it’s weeping it’s defective. Maybe change your forum name from engineer to bodge job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's using the coolant from Max to Min in about 600 miles. And as you probably know you have to take the side fairing off to refill it.

Thank you for the advice, I will have a more serious discussion with the dealer and as for a resolution.

If it is going through water pumps then it is likely the drive shaft of the pump has some play in it. I haven’t looked at the workshop manual, so I am presuming it is shaft driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If, it is leaking from joints, that suggests damaged mating surfaces that the gasket cannot cope with; unless they can be made proper, then the only long term solution is engine replacement.

There is however a hole, where if the pump wears internally, coolant is designed to leak from to show there is a problem

If, it is later then this requires further examination, does your bike vibrate a lot ?

Something is causing the bearings to fail.

There are three choices;

Faulty pumps or engine casings damaged

Faulty fitting of pump

Other engine problem (ie additional vibration)

Whatever happens, make sure it is fully documented, should you decide to reject it.

Imagine you lose all the coolant = cooked engine = lots of money or even worse a crash if it goes all over the rear tyre.

Good luck anyway

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It shouldn’t leak full stop. If it’s weeping it’s defective. Maybe change your forum name from engineer to bodge job
I know. He's been getting very casual in his old age. He used to be proper anal about everything. Now he's like "Ah, she'll be right."
Very worrying.

Could it be that the coolant is being pressurised from the combustion chamber and finding the easiest way out, only a thought.

Could it be that the coolant is being pressurised from the combustion chamber and finding the easiest way out, only a thought.

The coolant is always pressurised when the bike is running, or it would boil. To check, open the radiator cap when it’s hot.

The bearings and seals would stop that happening, easiest route for exhaust gases would be via either the expansion tank or a gasket but then you'd also expect oil emulsification to be present too.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Definitely broke if losing that much!

Back
Top Bottom