Now there's pretty

My thinking (such as it was) was that the bike would be used almost exclusively on road, but occasionally off (including the Stella Alpina in July). I'll put TKCs on the spokes and change the wheels as required.

The spokes/TKCs also cut a better dash in Tesco car parks.

Good plan. I'd love to do the Stella.

Nice one Stolzy ... :thumb2

My thinking (such as it was) was that the bike would be used almost exclusively on road, but occasionally off (including the Stella Alpina in July). I'll put TKCs on the spokes and change the wheels as required.

The spokes/TKCs also cut a better dash in Tesco car parks.

The stock wheels will be fine for that, especially if you’re predominantly on road. Have a look on advrider to we what the standard wheels can cope with off road!

The stock wheels will be fine for that, especially if you’re predominantly on road. Have a look on advrider to we what the standard wheels can cope with off road!
I don't doubt that my ham-fisted off roading would be unl;ikely to break the cast wheels - it was more for the convenience.

And I like the way they look.:cool:

I don't doubt that my ham-fisted off roading would be unl;ikely to break the cast wheels - it was more for the convenience.

And I like the way they look.:cool:

The convenient thing is certainly a win win. I had a second set of wheels with TKC's on for a GSA and in 15 mins (swap wheels, rotate gear lever down by a couple of splines, rotate bars up .... ) could turn that into off road mode .. :thumb2

The other thing about buying a set of spoked wheels as a spare set is that when you sell the bike you can sell the spare wheels on their own and comfortably get back about 75% of the initial outlay. All of a sudden the cost over 3 years (6 months for Nutty) isn’t bad at all.

Looks good Stolzy - enjoy.

It is of course the best colour - pity about the orange crash bars :augie

The other thing about buying a set of spoked wheels as a spare set is that when you sell the bike you can sell the spare wheels on their own and comfortably get back about 75% of the initial outlay. All of a sudden the cost over 3 years (6 months for Nutty) isn’t bad at all.

Well, I’ve had it for a year so far, and there’s no signs of me selling it anytime soon ;)

It doesn’t seem that long since you jumped feet first into the unknown but you must be enjoying it or it’d be long gone.

It doesn’t seem that long since you jumped feet first into the unknown but you must be enjoying it or it’d be long gone.

Sure am. It was the better bike for me than the GS, which was a surprise!

Sure am. It was the better bike for me than the GS, which was a surprise!

Off Topic: Had a great ride on the 1290 last evening. 3 hrs non-stop Glos/Monmouth/Tintern/Abergavenny/Skenfrith/Monmouth/Home. The only time I wished I was on the GS was when ....nope....must have been mistaken. I did spend my time worrying about the action camera hero car drivers sending in their footage of a bike cruising past and then disappearing into the sunset a few seconds later :D

My head can't quite get to grips with this bike. I HATE all the pannier options. Without pannier bars the rear looks unfinished, unlike the GSA. No point fitting pannier bars unless I can find a setup that looks right. I've said this before. So at the moment the 1290, for me at least, is just a large hooligan supermoto. A comfortable one. With heated-ish grips and awful headlights. I didn't really need a supermoto type machine. :blast First service tomorrow.

Off Topic: Had a great ride on the 1290 last evening. 3 hrs non-stop Glos/Monmouth/Tintern/Abergavenny/Skenfrith/Monmouth/Home. The only time I wished I was on the GS was when ....nope....must have been mistaken. I did spend my time worrying about the action camera hero car drivers sending in their footage of a bike cruising past and then disappearing into the sunset a few seconds later :D

My head can't quite get to grips with this bike. I HATE all the pannier options. Without pannier bars the rear looks unfinished, unlike the GSA. No point fitting pannier bars unless I can find a setup that looks right. I've said this before. So at the moment the 1290, for me at least, is just a large hooligan supermoto. A comfortable one. With heated-ish grips and awful headlights. I didn't really need a supermoto type machine. :blast First service tomorrow.

What don’t you like about the headlights?

Same on mine :thumb

My drl and spots are excellent.

The dipped & main haven’t been used in anger yet, although I did have the OEM bulbs changed to ‘bright white’; however, in due course I may opt for a cyclops LED conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom