Snugpak Ionosphere bivi tent

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of buying this, am I mad? The main things that are attracting me to it are the length so my head and feet don't touch the inside, the very light weight and how easy it is to erect and pack away.. The head room is non existing but I think I can cope with changing my clothes on my back.. Would probably also take a very lightweight tarp for a bit of a cooking shelter.. Thoughts?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_...7YksCB1MFlHodnQlatWbm6lgUU7z7YHBoCElMQAvD_BwE

https://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/blog/2016/08/snugpak-ionosphere-tent-and-terra-nova-comp-tarp-review/

Snugpack gear is top quality but I guess it depends what you want to use it for. If biking then you’ll be possibly changing out of wet biking gear in the same space you want to put your sleeping bag. If you manage that, where will you put your wet gear & boots overnight?

If on the other hand you’ll be using it in warm, dry climes I reckon it’d do the job well.

Looks like a big bivvi bag, it'll be ok for a night or two but I'd think it would be claustrophobic for extended use + where do you keep gear?

Have a look at the Vango Banshee. Similar style of tent but opens all down one side, so a lot easier to get in and out of.

There's room at the end of the tent to put some gear, due to it being so long, plus could probably put my wet gear under the tarp to dry out. I tried the banshee and found it too short and too much of a slope above my heat and feet, causing me to be touching the inner. Also they are a fair bit heavier (not too important on the bike, but it all ads up) and slower to get to work.. Ultimately too short inside.

210cm internal length ain't enough I'm afraid, cheers tho

The length is great but as above re bike kit when wet after a days riding...way too little space. Unless you desperately need to save 2kg (what will you, the bike and all the kit weigh? well over 300kg so 2kg is sod all) I'd be getting something more roomy...so Yes, you're mad. :beerjug:

The length is great but as above re bike kit when wet after a days riding...way too little space. Unless you desperately need to save 2kg (what will you, the bike and all the kit weigh? well over 300kg so 2kg is sod all) I'd be getting something more roomy...so Yes, you're mad. :beerjug:
Ha, I completely get what you are saying, it's just that all the reviews I watch and read say how fantastic the room is inside, and it's probably more roomy in some respect than a lot of 2 man tents out there, expect in head room.. I'd have thought wet clothes under a tarp would be a good idea.

coleman tatra

check out the coleman tatra 2 - good size for small pack size/ weight and sensible money !

check out the coleman tatra 2 - good size for small pack size/ weight and sensible money !
Decent looking tent but again, only 2.1m sleeping length and double the weight.. Similar size and weight as my slumit cub 2

Bought it and just quickly put it up in the garden! Really light weight with a good amount of sleeping room inside, hoping that when coupled with a lightweight tarp it'll be a decent setup..

Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

Indeed.. Must try and do a one nighter for a test run to see if it'll be up to the task, if not the mega horn tent that's been mentioned might be being bought.

Yes, post a review of the set up. I'm the wrong side of 50 now so I am in need of a bit more headroom rather than doing what I did as a kid and laying down shuffling into clothes! I often use my tarp for far more covered outdoor area and it works really well.

Set up was a doddle, even with my limited tent experience, only took a few minutes.. Quite a lot of YouTube videos of it. Only weighs 1.5kg but start adding a tarps and poles etc it'll probably soon negate weight savings over a bigger tent like the mega horn that you can stand, sit and cook in without the need of a tarp.. Everything seems high quality and won't take up much room inside my 52l givi top box.. I've bought an Exped synmat mega 12lxw and it easily fits inside the tent.

Back
Top Bottom