Backpack tents ?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just weighing up the options for going to Dent in May.

At the moment, my bike is devoid of panniers or mounts, -

The daft pillock who ordered my bike or owners after him / her, decided to sell the panniers on!

so if i want to take lots of stuff to Dent, im looking at replacing the lot.

Ive aquired the mounting rails, but still looking at a £250 odd bill for SH panniers...

Which got me thinking... do i really need panniers ??

Ive seen that you can get backpack tents,

so was trying to see if i could get everything into a backpack and do it that way.

My plan is to travel light and lean (lol)

If i can, i'm aiming to get a tent & sleeping bag into a back pack along with a couple of changes of clothes.

Is there anything else that is a must have ... food wise i think i may get away with eating onsite or local nosheries

or should i get the panniers and done with?

Get a big roll bag; i.e. Ortleib or Lomo drysac and strap it on the back seat. Let the bike take the weight rather than your back...
A camp chair will help to brace the bag and keep it from sagging.

There’s loads of options for soft luggage, not all of them very waterproof though. But they come shaped to maximise capacity. Lomo bags are great value but are just a big long bag really. Rok straps are the best for lashing them down. A basic camping set up should easily go in a 60 litre roll bag. A change of clothes and toothbrush in a tank top bag or in a small back pack and your sorted.

Ring up the campsite. Ask if you can mail a parcel containing your tent and sleeping kit...send it. Ride up and collect it...arrange collection of said kit on the day you leave and reverse the process. Loads do this for the TT

Ring up the campsite. Ask if you can mail a parcel containing your tent and sleeping kit...send it. Ride up and collect it...arrange collection of said kit on the day you leave and reverse the process. Loads do this for the TT

Thats an interesting idea...:)

Get a big roll bag; i.e. Ortleib or Lomo drysac and strap it on the back seat. Let the bike take the weight rather than your back...
A camp chair will help to brace the bag and keep it from sagging.

+1...:thumb2

When I was a lad I went all over Europe with a roll bag (tent/sleeping bag etc) strapped on the back seat of the bike. It didn't get stolen/touched/messed with or fall off.

Cheap and it works.....:)

Here comes summer; not back pack size I know; but this will be my holiday home this year.:D:JB

Attachments

• 20180325_123124.jpg
    20180325_123124.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot_20180325-124111.jpg
    Screenshot_20180325-124111.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 319
A good review site for camping stuff is www.outdoorgearlab.com well worth a look. There are plenty of options to get everything small enough to fit in backpack, however you pay more for the smaller lighter stuff.

I'm camping in Scotland at this very moment, for the week.. I'm using a luxe mini peak 2 tent and it is fantastic: less than 2kg, absolutely loads of space for sleeping and bike gear etc, really quick and simple to pitch.. I've brought everything Inc food for the whole week in a 60ltr lomo bag, strapped to the pillion seat with rok straps, only strapping the tent outside the lomo incase it went the rest of my gear, but it would definitely fit inside the main bag if so inclined..
I might have my last night (Friday) in Dent on my way home..

Back
Top Bottom