1290GT fuel tank removal conundrum...

AndyW

Reaction score
Should be easy, disconnect fuel lines, breather pipes and electrical connectors.....undo/remove 4 mounting bolts (2 x side/underside + 2 at the back) and according to the manual...
"Raise the fuel tank at the rear slightly and remove it in a backwards direction."

Don't know what I'm doing wrong and/or if I'm just not getting the right technique but there appears to be no way the tank will come off!
See attached photos....forward part of the tank is wider than the mounting lugs on the frame that the tank fixes to, so no way it can be moved backwards nor raised enough to clear the mounting lugs??!!

WTF! :confused:

Left-hand side...

1290GT_fuel_tank_left_underside_mount-XL.jpg

1290GT_fuel_tank_left_underside_mount_1-XL.jpg

1290GT_fuel_tank_left_underside_mount_2-XL.jpg

Right side....

1290GT_fuel_tank_right_underside_mount-XL.jpg

Good luck with that Andy, Post up a 'how to' when you have worked it out, for the rest of us.

I bet Dave knows how to do it! :)

I presume you have removed the side plastics and tank cap trim, lift the tank towards the ignition key and pull back, I found it much easier with an empty tank.

It's not a good bike to strip, very complicated, like a jigsaw, puzzle with hidden clips.

Anyways what you up to ?

Gadget....don't seem to get time to do 'how to's' now-a-days :-(
Already found the post Smgbob links to (thnx).....useful with workshop manual to fill in some detail.

Ding-Dong....yes all stripped and tank pretty near empty, don't think I was lifting the tank towards the ignition key and pulling back. Manual said lift rear and pull back.
Will try again tomorrow.

I've had everything back together for a couple of weeks or so and been out enjoying the nice weather....loving the GT :D

P1020879-X2.jpg

P1020881-X2.jpg

Looks nice, I see you fixed the issue with the can by using a spacer.

The spacer is made up of oem mounting parts, rubber donut thingy and the two top hat washers. The hanger is for an SDR which I've altered at the top fixing points.
Just waiting on a mate to finish a CAD drawing for me and then I'll have a perfect fit bespoke hanger made :D

Back
Top Bottom