New tyre losing pressure

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted a new front Tourance to the 100GS several weeks ago. Since when it sat in the lockup. Wheeled it out at the weekend and thought the front brake was binding. Doh! Pumped it up and next day ditto. I'll take it back to the local guy who fitted it of course but wondered if fitting a tube was a possible solution if all else fails? Never an issue with the previous Tourance BTW.

I had one that done the exact same thing. I removed the tyre and valve and there was a bit of pitting which I cleaned up. Job done. I’m not sure if there is a tube type tyre in that Turance but check for that. Also I noticed that my car tyre fitter is using some sort of sealant on the beads of tyers as he fits them. Seems to be the norm nowadays. Might be worth a try. I’d see putting a tube in as a last resort. JJH

I'd find out where its leaking from and fix it.
Tube as a very last resort.
Tubeless tyres are a damn sight easier to fix on the road.

Put some neat dribble of washing up liquid all over the tyre and rim, give it a light mist of water from a hose and rub it all around with a brush like that from a dustpan. That will cover everything and then just watch to see where the little bubbles come from. Could be rim.

Peter I had a similar problem with the rear on my R100 - turned out it was corrosion round the rim of the valve hole. BM dealer had no suggestions, new rim circa £150! In the end local garage drilled it out and fitted oversize valve.HTH

Peter I had a similar problem with the rear on my R100 - turned out it was corrosion round the rim of the valve hole. BM dealer had no suggestions, new rim circa £150! In the end local garage drilled it out and fitted oversize valve.HTH

Handy to know. Will have my man pay careful attention to thet when he wheaks the tyre aff. :D

I didn't think folk frae Morning would partake in such behaviour

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You'll have hed your tea! :D

My R100 GS was the same, fiirst time the bead stayed on the rim, and a bit slime got me to a tire depot where they removed the tire and cleaned up the rim before refitting the tire.
Second time the bead came away from the rim, luckily as I slowed down for a T junction after a fast run.
I wasn't prepared to do any more experimenting and just put a HD Michelin tube in it and never had any more problems.
A few others seem to have had the same problem, and have only been able to fix it the same way, so be wary of taking advice from anyone who doeskin ride a GS hard, or from anyone who thinks you can legally and safely plug motorcycle tires.

And it is Mourningside, not Morningside. - do they still have the cage dancers on the bar in the Canny Mans?

And the answer is ...

A split base seal in the valve so a new valve is needed and my chap :augie ain't got one! What's my quickest source for a replacement, o parish pumpers?

Back
Top Bottom