DCT...would you ?

I really am having a serious debate with myself about buying the ATAS. Power means nothing to me, been there done that with litre sports bikes. The GS is too much bike for me cause all I want to do is thrash it, so the AT just feels perfect, perfect for all I want to do, small narrow roads, or fast twisties it'll do both where I didn't think the GS was great on tight slow narrow roads. As for the DCT being deaer, ye an extra grand is a bit steep but it is what it is and if I do buy one it'd have to be the DCT.

Go for it your a long time dead agree with nimbleness , not tried the affy but the adv is snappy and on today’s roads not far behind most things on the twistes and you really got to ride it man use all the engine which I love the gs does feel more ungainly for sure

I really am having a serious debate with myself about buying the ATAS. Power means nothing to me, been there done that with litre sports bikes. The GS is too much bike for me cause all I want to do is thrash it, so the AT just feels perfect, perfect for all I want to do, small narrow roads, or fast twisties it'll do both where I didn't think the GS was great on tight slow narrow roads. As for the DCT being deaer, ye an extra grand is a bit steep but it is what it is and if I do buy one it'd have to be the DCT.

Maybe we should have started this thread on a Honda site thou shall not speak bad of Gs’s here ... it’s gone viral man

Go for it your a long time dead

yes that's what I keep telling myself every time I get further and further in to debt with motorcycles, at some point you have to screw the head, plus by the time I paid it off, I'd be nearing 60, it's just not the sensible thing to do.

yes that's what I keep telling myself every time I get further and further in to debt with motorcycles, at some point you have to screw the head, plus by the time I paid it off, I'd be nearing 60, it's just not the sensible thing to do.
True I was speaking loosly to be honest you have to look at it logically and what's within your capability, I had a few pxs which helped me get the x adv at a shade over 9k pretty extravagant for a toy I suppose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’m a big fan of the AT DCT - my GSA sty’s behind more than the AT.

Only minor complaints are (1) mode D is a bit too keen to get up the gears, which is generally ok when one up, but lugs with a pillion - not a big problem, but I wish it remembered the last mode when you switch it out of neutral - compounded by it not remembering the last heated grip setting either (2) has stalled twice (in 400 miles so not very common, but embarrassing at the lights and it’s not even my fault) (3) the clutch can be a bit clumsy when cold and / or I am ham fisted.

Overall I would never choose another manual bike if there was an automatic avaialble

Only minor complaints are (1) mode D is a bit too keen to get up the gears, which is generally ok when one up, but lugs with a pillion - not a big problem, but I wish it remembered the last mode when you switch it out of neutral - compounded by it not remembering the last heated grip setting either (2) has stalled twice (in 400 miles so not very common, but embarrassing at the lights and it’s not even my fault) (3) the clutch can be a bit clumsy when cold and / or I am ham fisted.

Overall I would never choose another manual bike if there was an automatic avaialble

are you listening bmw R&D.......

BMW R1200 GSA DCT

Yes please

I had DCT on a Honda NC750X and loved it. It is not a perfect system, and obviously cannot read the road ahead to do anticipatory gear changes, but is very easy to override. The only time I rode it in manual mode was in severe mountain twisties where I just toggled between 2nd and 3rd with the paddles, as you don't really want it doing an up-change just as you are about to enter a hairpin, and unless you fully close the throttle it can change up on downhills which can be a bit alarming if you have been relying on the engine braking and momentarily lose it. The later systems have been improved to detect (I think via throttle opening versus road speed as they don't actually have an angle sensor) whether you are going uphill or downhill and try to behave accordingly. The only other minor issue, as has been mentioned already, is slow speed maneuvers where you need to balance throttle against rear brake.

I would have one again if a suitable bike appeared - it is so much less hassle when in traffic and having to stop start, plus you can get a perfect launch from the lights every time - just whack the throttle open. Just don't blip the throttle while at a standstill, unless you have pressed the neutral selector, otherwise you will take off prematurely! It is still a proper gearbox with discrete gears, so none of this scooter type continuously variable gearing nonsense, and is still satisfying to ride. I don't want the AT as it is too off-roady for me and doesn't have the GS type auto suspension which I find so good when switching between solo and two-up riding, and I think a Goldwing, apart from being unaffordable, would take most of the fun out of solo riding.

Fred

Mine remembers the last heated grip setting, it just doesn't automatically switch them on when the ignition has been off. When they are switched on they return to the previous setting. I would also prefer for the heated grip power setting to display constantly on the dash when they are in use.

Mine remembers the last heated grip setting, it just doesn't automatically switch them on when the ignition has been off. When they are switched on they return to the previous setting. I would also prefer for the heated grip power setting to display constantly on the dash when they are in use.

sorry, that’s what I meant - it remembers the setting, but not that it was turned on. On the topic of heated grips, like the GSA mine eventually get to hot to hold on max setting, so they seem to have improved as a lot of early adopters said they were only ever
luke warm at best

I would also prefer for the heated grip power setting to display constantly on the dash when they are in use.

so they seem to have improved as a lot of early adopters said they were only ever
luke warm at best

Erm it does there a little heated grip icon on the screen with either one or two dots depending on high or low setting.Ifanyone has a n issue with the grips are still feeling cool go into a Honda dealer and ask about the warrenty recall Ive just had the controller repair made for free.

Interesting thread.
I made the leap from a 2010 GS to a 2010 VFR 1200F DCT last year and have no regrets.
With 170bhp on tap, there's no issue with power. But it pulls strongly from low revs as well. Love the DCT, despite being the early version. I believe the main difference between this and the later version is that it goes back into D after you've manually changed down to made an overtake. On mine, you have to hit a switch to re select D.
The riding position was a bit too sporty for me, but I've fitted a handlebar conversion and lowered the footrests slightly. Much better now.
Accessories for these are so cheap compared to the GS! Footrest lowering kit, £35!
A BMW with DCT? You're having a laff. Better keep those extended warranty payments up to date.
I wasn't able to find any issues online with the Honda DCT.
Less than 10k miles with panniers and top box for 5 grand. Bargain.
Drawbacks? Tank range is only around 150 miles, although many newer bikes are lucky to get much more than a hundred these days. It's also a Marmite bike, you love'em or hate them.
Handling and brakes are excellent, plus I can get my feet flat on the ground despite my short legs. The engine configuration means that the seat is narrow where it meets the tank.
I did try the CT and it sold me on DCT but just couldn't like anything else about it.
There's a guy in Europe who does a proper cruise control for them for under £400 and is easily fitted. Ride by wire makes it much easier to do.
Next thing on my shopping list.

Attachments

• A69A6D11-6D4A-487B-94BF-A2A6EA6E0774.jpg
    A69A6D11-6D4A-487B-94BF-A2A6EA6E0774.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 286
Another DCT convert

I had a nasty accident at work a few years back and considered packing biking in altogether. I eventually tried the DCT AT and have no regrets about buying one. I agree with all the previous comments: it can be a hooligan in Sports Mode, a docile tourer in Drive, its very economical, loads up with kit and does everything I need from a bike. The DCT took me about 20 minutes to get the hang of, then another few weeks of gently (and not so gently at times) testing the parameters of the various settings. The flappy paddles give you instant control over manual changes on challenging bendy and/or up/downhill roads, or for overtakes etc.

So that's a "yes" from me.

(BTW my previous bikes have included 2 x 1100, 1 x 1150 ADV and a 1200GS)

I had a nasty accident at work a few years back and considered packing biking in altogether. I eventually tried the DCT AT and have no regrets about buying one. I agree with all the previous comments: it can be a hooligan in Sports Mode, a docile tourer in Drive, its very economical, loads up with kit and does everything I need from a bike. The DCT took me about 20 minutes to get the hang of, then another few weeks of gently (and not so gently at times) testing the parameters of the various settings. The flappy paddles give you instant control over manual changes on challenging bendy and/or up/downhill roads, or for overtakes etc.

So that's a "yes" from me.

(BTW my previous bikes have included 2 x 1100, 1 x 1150 ADV and a 1200GS)
My dad had a biking accident resulting in issues with his knee, he really struggled with manual bikes since and had a break for a while then went to super scooters but they lacked a lot of ride qualities if a bike ie engine breaking compromised and small wheels made the ride very choppy and skittksh, he now has a dct nc x and loves it it's opened up his biking world again so a big thanks to Honda who have brought this technology to the forefront enabling injured folt to once again get the wind through their Gill's once you get used to it you almost think why bother with gears ESPECIALLY in cities.. I have the x adv as I think I posted earlier on in the thread and really enjoyed a day in the new forest yesterday on it also want to Sammy Miller museum an excellent themed event for free was held there (keep your eyes out) classic jap day in the summer will take the ypvs to that one, I still enjoy the 1200 tc gs tho

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wish it would keep the desired power mode when using the additional gearstick, it reverts back to D every time you put it in neutral.

Back
Top Bottom