DCT...would you ?

Well rode home from Dent today on DCT 2017 AT. I had the DCT in Sport 2 mode. Gave it beans then wanted to manually downshift for a corner. It wouldn't. It did change in it's own mode accordingly as the revs climbed/fell etc but it would not allow me to manually over ride and change up or down. Couldn't go up or down the box with foot shifter or with paddle shifters. Flicked it to drive, no dice still. Back into sports mode, no luck. I then switched it to manual and it shifted gears at will. Put it back into sport and it would then shift up or down. Not a major thing, but if I want to downshift I want to know it works. All fine after that when using all modes so it means it must have glitched somehow. Worryingly, is if you rely on the ability to do something and suddenly it isn't there, it's like Guy missing 4th on the Honda at the TT....well similar. So it's one stall, 2 very almost stalls and now 1 refusal to shift to the AT...No, I don't think I'll have another DCT thanks

Just finished my first longish run on the ATAS DCT from Newcastle to Arisaig and back. Fabulous is the only word to use. Two taps and it downshifts to 4th for overtaking and remembers the gear in the twisties to give a really great ride. Not as powerful as my KTM 1190R that I traded in for it; but still plenty and better two up.

but it would not allow me to manually over ride and change up or down.

Would the downshift put you outside the rev range for the lower gear? You were giving it beans:D

I agree with its fabulous..I've just done over 1200 mls in 4 days around Scotland, lakes flat out playing with fast guys on Xr's tried all the modes and found by far the best for me was sport 2 and using the shifters..it does everything you ask. Amazing Bike

I agree with its fabulous..I've just done over 1200 mls in 4 days around Scotland, lakes flat out playing with fast guys on Xr's tried all the modes and found by far the best for me was sport 2 and using the shifters..it does everything you ask. Amazing Bike

The ATAS seems to have a deeper growl than the AT I had in 2016.Don't see any point in changing the end can !

Well rode home from Dent today on DCT 2017 AT. I had the DCT in Sport 2 mode. Gave it beans then wanted to manually downshift for a corner. It wouldn't. It did change in it's own mode accordingly as the revs climbed/fell etc but it would not allow me to manually over ride and change up or down. Couldn't go up or down the box with foot shifter or with paddle shifters. Flicked it to drive, no dice still. Back into sports mode, no luck. I then switched it to manual and it shifted gears at will. Put it back into sport and it would then shift up or down. Not a major thing, but if I want to downshift I want to know it works. All fine after that when using all modes so it means it must have glitched somehow. Worryingly, is if you rely on the ability to do something and suddenly it isn't there, it's like Guy missing 4th on the Honda at the TT....well similar. So it's one stall, 2 very almost stalls and now 1 refusal to shift to the AT...No, I don't think I'll have another DCT thanks

OK, so bike been in to dealers. They identified an error code and it is to do with the ABS sensor. If it gets a little dirty, it can't read the wheel speed accurately, and then refuses to change gear, up or down. A few bikes have come in to the dealer having been ridden in , in 1 gear as they have either bent the abs ring or or damaged the abs sensor (disc lock, falls, theft etc) If that happens, you are stuck in 1 gear. Game over. In my case they found iron swarf on the abs sensor and this may have caused it to stick to the magnetic sensor (As I am told by the mechanic, whom I have a good relationship with). Anyhow a full ECU reset and lets see what happens. But nice to know the fault was logged and I wasn't palmed off like I was at BMW..BTW, I did just change brake pads to sintered and not OEM Honda ones, so my next investigation is to see what pads Honda are running (sintered v organic)

I’m a big fan of the AT DCT...

Only minor complaints are.... (2) has stalled twice (in 400 miles so not very common, but embarrassing at the lights and it’s not even my fault.

I had the first service yesterday and mentioned the stalling, was told it was likely to be user error as they’d never heard of one stalling before (I guesss they think I cannot turn a throttle), they said if it did every time they would report to Honda (if it did it every time I wouldn’t be getting anywhere!). He said he’d never even had any reports of any manual Africa Twins stalling.

So, great bike, but user dealer bollocks. When I bought it they said it had a range of 200 miles odd, the same as a BMW R1200GSA because although the GSA had a bigger tank, it was much less efficient. I guess I must ride mine like a pussy to get the range I do.

DCT just gets better and better.
The DCT on the ATAS is SO much better than that fitted to the original AT in 2016.The stand-out feature being the auto blipper.
The next bike I purchase (not until 2019 at the earliest) will also have a DCT box ,but with 7 speeds and supposedly even better.

DCT

Absolutely love mine. Love my gsa iconic too mind. Both fabulous, and both way better than my Varadero.

Attachments

• C340F04F-9320-4BF9-A57C-DD7FFDDB195E.jpeg
    C340F04F-9320-4BF9-A57C-DD7FFDDB195E.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 312
I've just put a deposit down on a 2018 AT DCT after a test ride. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom