BMW Connected App

andyclift

Reaction score
I have just upgraded to a GS Adventure 2018 with the tft display. I also fitted a new Navigator 6 but have been really impressed with navigation via the Connected App and the TFT.

The Connected app is a free download for Apple and Android and once installed there are free downloads of maps for most of the world. I have only downloaded the Europe maps, based on Here maps, and was susprised how big the download was. Europe on my Mazda and Gamin is around 8 Gb but the BMW download came out at over 13Gb. I cut out some the countries I will never need and got down to about 9 Gb.

To use the system show the map screen and enter a required location. This seems very flexible and I have tried it with addresses, shop and hotel searches and it seems to come up with good answers. It will also search addresses of contacts. Once a destination is found a route is calculated and with the bike tft on it is transferred to the bike.

The TFT does not show a map, just instructions on turns and I was initially a little sceptical and was not given confidence by some of the images. For example, when I needed a right turn (third exit) on a roundabout the image shows straight ahead. I soon realised that it always shows the same image but a little number next to it shows the exit. In practice there is little need to look at this display as the voice instructions are amazingly good. They give very detailed and very clear instructions in plenty of time to take action.

I use my bike to travel all over Europe and really like Garmin but I guess that for most routes BME Connected plus TFT does the job.

Back
Top Bottom