Screen

I give up!

So I am now almost into 4 months of the 800 GSA ownership from new and it looks like it has to go, the bike is unrideable, the wind noise and turbulence is unbearable even with ear plugs. So far I have spent £350 on different screens, none of which make the slightest bit of difference to the problem.

Standard screen: Just awful leaves you deaf even with ear plugs and your head gets battered.

Puig: lots of adjustment, but even at full height meaning you have to actually look through it, no difference at all, you still get deafened and battered.

Wunderlich adjustable extension: Does nothing at all.

Last up the Givi: A huge barn door of a screen, surely it has to work I thought, but no it does nothing either.

The conclusion after months of experimenting: The problem is nothing to do with airflow over the screen, without doubt it is coming from below. Having fitted the Givi I was convinced it would solve it but it had no difference either. Waving my hand about in the airflow it was clear it was coming from below it, so I then thought it was the hand guards directing it on to the arms and upwards. So hand guards were next to come off and again no difference. Test riding with no hand guards and the Givi screen I noticed that if I took my arm of the handlebar and tucked it across my body as if by magic all was calm, I then grasped the bars with both hands next to the handlebar clamps and all was suddenly smooth and calm:clap. Hardly a practical option, but proof the air flow problem is coming from below and directed off the arms and shoulders on to your head. There is clearly a design flaw here as the problem remains the same with or without a screen or hand guards and regardless of how big an aftermarket screen is fitted. So, in short there is no cure for the problem, short of fitting cruise control and riding with your arms folded in front of you. Its a real shame as i like all other aspects of the bike but I think it will have to go as i'm not prepared to throw anymore money at it:mad:

Try taking off the fork leg protectors, they look like they could be channeling air upwards .....

Try taking off the fork leg protectors, they look like they could be channeling air upwards .....

Protectors are integral to the mudguard, I have lost interest in it and handed it back to BMW yesterday, it's just not for me and i'm not prepared to waste anymore time or money on it.

“Fatbaldbob”. I’ve sent you a PM.

Bob, I fully understand your problem as I have the very same issues with pretty much every bike I have. I am 6’ 4” and dislike wearing ear plugs so always look for a screen solution to get me into that calm still air bubble. The best I have managed after many experiments with my F800GS is the puig screen but with the clear upper part replaced by the original screen from a Yamaha FJ1300A I used to own. It is a bit of a lash up but improves matters. I have also fitted an MRA air blade to the top but not in the usual place. It is located behind the screen. The reason for doing this is that it pushes the karman vortices further back to a point behind my helmet, thus reducing buffeting. I also found, like you, that there was a great deal of turbulence coming off the hand guards. I now have Touratech handguards with extensions which has helped to reduce this, but not completely eliminate it.

So, like you I have managed to make some improvements but the inherent geometry of bike and rider would seem to make the quiet bubble of still air nothing but a dream on this bike sadly.

Protectors are integral to the mudguard, I have lost interest in it and handed it back to BMW yesterday, it's just not for me and i'm not prepared to waste anymore time or money on it.
Bob,
If you are looking for a home for your GIVI airflow screen I’d be interested in it. Looks like we reside in the same part of the world?

Bob,
If you are looking for a home for your GIVI airflow screen I’d be interested in it. Looks like we reside in the same part of the world?

Hi, its not the airflow screen, its the GIVI D5110ST, you can have first dibs on it if you want £70, also have the Puig adjustable one too £150 if any interest. As mentioned I gave up on it after only 1000 miles from new, the bike has gone so have a few bits to move on.

Thanks Bob but it is the Airflow screen I’d like to give a try. I have the Puig adjustable one fitted to my bike just now. I replaced the screen bit with a modified original screen from my FJR1300 Yamaha which is an improvement. Just looks like a dogs breakfast so I’m thinking of replacing it with the Givi airflow. Thanks for getting back to me though Bob and good luck with your parts sale. I hope your new ride, whatever it may be brings you much improved riding joy.

Back
Top Bottom