I would be grateful of any opinions.

Attachments

• C574B8BB-ED0B-456B-85BC-B1A01EF3D362.jpg
    C574B8BB-ED0B-456B-85BC-B1A01EF3D362.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 80C53E01-84AA-4518-AEA9-4A82116BCF70.jpeg
    80C53E01-84AA-4518-AEA9-4A82116BCF70.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 712
The original screen deflects the wind straight into my head.
This also seems to make wind noise a nuisance.
Thanks Tony.

I have one. Bought it to replace the original one as soon as I got the bike.
For me ... it reduced the wind onto my head and chest. I do get wind blast onto my arms. Have it on the highest setting.
Overall, a good choice.

On the F800 GSA, can you still retain the Screen bar as my sat nav mounts there.

Have you tried an MRA X-screen on top of the stock screen? I noticed a lot of buffeting with stock, but as the MRA allows lots of up/down/angle adjustment, I managed to dial out the buffeting. £65 well spent and transferable to other bikes :thumb

Have you tried an MRA X-screen on top of the stock screen? I noticed a lot of buffeting with stock, but as the MRA allows lots of up/down/angle adjustment, I managed to dial out the buffeting. £65 well spent and transferable to other bikes :thumb

Thinking of one of these myself - did you drill your screen to attach it or just use the clamps - are they quite secure?

I use the clamps - very secure as they push on a large rubber u-pad, then I can swap between bikes. The range of adjustment means you should be able to get rid of the buffering.

Any other suggestions to improve the 800 GSA screen, I love the bike but after 600 miles from new i'm ready to change it. The wind turbulence and noise are unbearable, I tried the Puig as described above and its no better, probably worse in fact. I'm 6'2 and even lying on the tank and tucked in behind the screen with,the standard or puig the blast and turbulence is still there; this makes me think its coming from below not over the top so cannot see the clip on extensions working either. It really is becoming a showstopper for me, even with ear plugs the wind noise is deafening. I have done a lot of googling on this and it seems to be a common complaint, but I really do not want to shell out more money on other screens as no one seems to have found a solution that works, some have managed to reduce it but no one seems to have eliminated it. I really do not want to have to get rid of the bike as I will lose a fortune but it looks like I will be driven to it, as its practically unrideable. I have two other naked bikes and the there is next to no wind noise and no turbulence when compared to the GSA, so there must be a major design flaw here.

I know how you feel. Got no answer but I had to go through four screens on my old 1150GS before I found one good enough to live with.

Any other suggestions to improve the 800 GSA screen, I love the bike but after 600 miles from new i'm ready to change it. The wind turbulence and noise are unbearable, I tried the Puig as described above and its no better, probably worse in fact. I'm 6'2 and even lying on the tank and tucked in behind the screen with,the standard or puig the blast and turbulence is still there; this makes me think its coming from below not over the top so cannot see the clip on extensions working either. It really is becoming a showstopper for me, even with ear plugs the wind noise is deafening. I have done a lot of googling on this and it seems to be a common complaint, but I really do not want to shell out more money on other screens as no one seems to have found a solution that works, some have managed to reduce it but no one seems to have eliminated it. I really do not want to have to get rid of the bike as I will lose a fortune but it looks like I will be driven to it, as its practically unrideable. I have two other naked bikes and the there is next to no wind noise and no turbulence when compared to the GSA, so there must be a major design flaw here.

OK, this is a bit long, but it's a matter I've wrestled with for two decades. I feel your pain and hate the idea of having to part with a bike I otherwise love just because the screen is so damn noisy.

Noise & buffeting is a really common issue with adventure bikes and their barn-door aerodynamics which is why the aftermarket screen business is so busy for this type of bike.

The noise comes from disturbed airflow around the edges of the screen, and partial vacuum cavitation directly behind it, which is why even ducking right behind the screen is still hideously noisy. You may have noticed that some OEM adv bike screens such as the new Triumph Tiger 800, and Honda CB500X now feature slots at the base of the screen, in an attempt to reduce the vacuum formation at the trailing edge of the screen.

On naked bikes, the airflow isn't obstructed, and so is smooth, consistent and quiet. Sportsbikes have teardrop aeros that don't baulk the airflow, and tourers just have a huge screen that moves all the unpleasantness above head level.

So, a couple of suggestions. First, (and if you haven't already) try taking the screen off and going for a ride. That might sound facetious, but it has the advantage of being no-cost, and will also let you know how much wind noise (if any) is being generated by mirrors & bodywork. You might also be surprised how much wind protection you get from the clocks & bodywork around the tank of an adv bike with its 'sit-in' riding posture (at least up to legal speeds). It might seem daft to ride an adv bike like a naked, but even without a screen, adv bikes are decent for all-day distances thanks to roomy cockpits, relaxed rider triangle, and luggage carrying options.

By the same token, the counterintuitive option of using a small sport- or flyscreen may be worth considering. Titchy screens leave your head (and the ears attached to it) in clean airflow, but still take more pressure off your chest than no screen at all. You could maybe test out an F700GS (or the new F750, when it arrives) and see if a tiny screen is an acceptable option.

I'm also a bit of a Givi Airflow screen fanboy, having fitted them to my 1200GS (brilliant) and KTM 1050 (not perfect, but much better than OEM) The 2 piece Airflow screens have several advantages: they're reasonably priced, have a wide range of height adjustment, and have a large horizontal slot between the two screen sections, which helps equalise the pressure between the leading (high pressure) and trailing (low pressure) faces of the screen, and also produces an upward-moving jet of laminar air flow (hence the name) which deflects the air coming over the top of the screen upwards. This latter feature means that you don't need to raise the screen so high that it gets in your sightline.

However, the Givi Airflow (IMO) has one major downside, which is that it's pretty ummm....let's say, aesthetically challenging, and the smaller the bike, the worse they look. It's kind of like getting a Panigale and fitting it with a 2-helmet topbox, tasselled leather cruiser panniers, & tartan handlebar muffs.

It is a personal thing, depending a lot on your own geometry and tolerance to wind.

I put an Isotta on my 800GS (€75 from M&P - there are a lot of different models and sizes from Isotta - I think mine is as tall as they do but you can get one @ 100mm wider.

I added an second hand MRA (£30 from this site).
The combination made a big difference over the stock one.

It may not be 100% perfect but I am fairly happy with it.
When I fitted Rox-Risers it allowed my hands and head to move back a little as well which helped another bit.

F800GS.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

Someone else riding my bike could find it brilliant or awful - depending where their head is positioned and what helmet / neck-warmer / ear-plugs they use or not.
You may need to experiment to get the option that suits you best

I’m 6’0 and the standard F800GS screen was horrendous for me, it directed the windblast straight to my chin area causing huge turbulence around my head and neck.

I managed to pick up a tinted tall Touratech one cheap on eBay and the difference is like night and day. The extra height lifts the windblast much higher meaning my head is getting ragged around like it was with the standard one.

It’s still not as good as my last 1200GSA screen and winglets but it is a huge improvement from standard

I am 6'4 and have a Wunderlich screen. Very happy with it and can be adjusted even higher than I currently have.

A plus point for this screen is that is drops down on 2 sliders whcih you can do when riding. Great in hot slow conditions as you drop it down to get lots of air and then lift it back up when required.

Not the bext looking but the ability to adjust wins in my book.

Alex

That Wunderlich screen is identical to the Puig item, i guess one or the other copied each other, so not convinced it would do much for me, as the Puig does very little even at the highest setting. Anyone tried the Givi D5110ST, not the best looking thing but it looks like it would do the job.

Best screen I found after trying most over my years with the 650GS / 700GS s
Was the Givi Airflow..

Which was great, but as I have a badly damaged shoulder I wanted no wind, so I added a Wunderlich extender & totally wind free now.
But for most just the fully adjustable Givi Airflow screen would be perfect..

Attachments

• 20180510_005540.jpg
    20180510_005540.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 377
Smaller is better ?

This works for me, I’m 6ft 3 and at motorway speeds I need to lean into the bike a little bit, other than that it’s good.

Attachments

• 377CE5A5-5484-4847-A77B-E4DF72B4B408.jpg
    377CE5A5-5484-4847-A77B-E4DF72B4B408.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 344

Back
Top Bottom