Throttle position sensor alternative part

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have 1200GS 09 non WC. had problems for last few years with snatchy low speed running. Nothing serious just had to keep juggling the clutch and throttle when low speed manoeuvring. To make matters worse my wifes bike, same model year and spec was silky smooth, just ride it on the throttle easy. No amount of tappet setting, balancing throttle bodies, checking coils, plugs, stripped and checked the TPS etc etc made any real difference. Bike runs perfectly otherwise.
Reading another engine running problem post Steptoe mentioned the TPS. Not every faulty one will show up when testing, was roughly what he said. So decided to try a new one.. £149 was a bit of a cost for what was a guess. Bit of research found that the car one is a direct replacement and over a £100 saving! worth a punt.
Been on for about 80 miles and through some shitty weather and a good jet wash (was concerned about waterproofing as a car item) But seems to be working fine. Snatchy/jerky ride at low speed, filtering, manoeuvring big improvement if fact almost gone, will get better still with riding as ECU re learners its adaptations. So here's the link for the Hella one but even cheaper ones with a search.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Original-HELLA-Throttle-Position-Sensor-for-BMW/172741967895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l9372

Nice one Ted,

I did hear that a 3 series one would fit , but hadn't been able to id the little fecker ;)

Price is reasonable too

:thumb

I did the simple “BMW Throttle Position Sensor ” search on eBay but had no idea which to choose. The one you’ve indicated is about the lowest cost on there.

Nice one. Thanks.

Hella part number is 6PX008476-111
If you Google it lots more come up as well Bendy:D

Where did you find that the parts were interchangeable Ted? I was just wondering if the same part would fit the 1150...

Just by doing a search and then comparing images and finding spec and pin locations etc. Manufacturers are generally good at making one part fit lots of vehicles. Example all different prices but you can find parts for VW SEAT AUDI, Skoda and even Porsche all in the same box and massive price difference.
Re fitting to a 1150. This particular one wont fit as it is a fixed position (just bolt on) the 1150 one has slotted mounts so it can be adjusted and if I recall, could be wrong, it has 4 terminals not 3.
But bet if you googled BMW throttle position sensor and just picked "images" you would find something like it. Then if you look it up and follow links and more spec/ info you would find a replacement, maybe a 1990/99 bmw car. Look who makes the injection system "Bosch" then look for vehicles of same era with same system fitted. GM vauxhall, SAAB, BMW :thumb

Get you started here's the spec http://www.finjector.com/verkkokauppa/documents/4d92b01ace9a6/0280122201.pdf

:D

Attachments

• BMW TPS.jpg
    BMW TPS.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 820
Another way to do it is to go onto the tier one suppliers site and download there applications catalouge

In case your not aware --

OEM - Original Equipment manufacturer ( Saab Opel Ford BMW GM etc)

Tier 1 supplier - A supplier who supplies parts / assemblies direct to the OEM (Lucas, Delphi (Ferodo - now known as Valeo) etc)

Tier 2 supplier - A supplier who supplies parts to a tier one company but not to the oem

Tier one suppliers will often make one part fit many models / marques

Take GM They made the Opel & Vauxhall range - Manta & Cavalier Honda & Rover Rover 216 - Honda Concerto

Example part for a Manta £50 same part for a Cav £30 Rover part £400 - Honda £200 - Brand & image perception ;)

So the tier 1 makes one part that covers 3 different marques & 3 models within that marque

Now the OEM, isnt going to tell you that you can buy the part cheaper elsewhere - there going to cite brand & warranty etc.

Brake pads are a prime example - one set of pads will fit 20 cars

Sometimes it works others is dosent -

I have the application catalouge for Beru who do the coils for the GS --

The specific GS application is unique there is no other marque or model that uses that coil :(

but loads of the others cover different models & marques

Some you win some you loose ;)

So did this TPS do the job in terms of sorting out the rough running ? I've got an 07 RT which has a tough spot about 3k and the mechanic has suggested either coils or TPS - I've yet to change out either but a cheaper new TPS would be ideal ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed mine for a SH oem unit

Originally from a cold start i'd roll up the road to the first turning and close the throttle,

and the bike would litterally stand on its nose the deceleration was that severe, then on opening the throttle it would lurch forward

Now with the replacement unit, the bike slows nicley and pulls away smoothly - i can still get it to lurch if i'm heavy handed, but way way better than before.

And it idles too which is a bonus

lets face it - £90 for each coil - £180 against £40 for a TPS

Back
Top Bottom