RECOMMEND ME A BLUETOOTH COMMS UNIT

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im hoping people with first hand experience will give me the pros and cons of the options out there please.
Ive had a Scala Q2 since around 2009 and think its time to upgrade, my mate and I bought the twin pack and it still works, just.

I dont want a bmw or helmet specific unit.
I want to receive nav instructions and have bike to bike comms. Im not bothered about using my phone on the bike in fact I'd rather not thanks, music equally not bothered.
Ideally Id like something that will pair to sena and Cardo units for comms if possible, the obvious choices I think are the Scala Packtalk or Sena 20S but I'm interested in Scala G9 for example although Im sure there will be a compromise somewhere, expect my tightwad mate might want to stick with his Q2 until it dies lol so something that allows me to upgrade but still communicate with him would be good.

Thanks

Im hoping people with first hand experience will give me the pros and cons of the options out there please.
Ive had a Scala Q2 since around 2009 and think its time to upgrade, my mate and I bought the twin pack and it still works, just.

I dont want a bmw or helmet specific unit.
I want to receive nav instructions and have bike to bike comms. Im not bothered about using my phone on the bike in fact I'd rather not thanks, music equally not bothered.
Ideally Id like something that will pair to sena and Cardo units for comms if possible, the obvious choices I think are the Scala Packtalk or Sena 20S but I'm interested in Scala G9 for example although Im sure there will be a compromise somewhere, expect my tightwad mate might want to stick with his Q2 until it dies lol so something that allows me to upgrade but still communicate with him would be good.

Thanks
I got one from AliExpress for £29 delivered.
Links to my phone sat nav and tunes and let's phone take priority.
I downloaded 'talking texts' app which is a laugh listening to texts through your helmet.
5 years on and still sound... Been in some horrendous weather too.

Sent from my London Taxi

I don't use Bluetooth for bike to bike.
We use MT600 walkie talkies and helmet speakers and boom mic.
We have been nearly a mile apart and maintained conversation.
Total outlay was around £80 for the lot.

Sent from my London Taxi

Used to have Scala G9, but they expired after about 6 years. Bought a Packtalk, been brilliant. When I bought the Packtalk, Sena have released the 20s, too soon to marked, many unhappy customers. Think they are sorted now though. Either Sena or Scala are good units, each have their fan base.Bike to Bike want the Packtalk DMC works really well, much better than using PMR radios, that is old tech.

I went with Cardo Scala as after a lot of research i discovered that Sena isn't water resistant, That may have changed now, but was enough to put me off.
My Scala Q3 works absolutely brilliant. Much better than I'd have thought.

Used to have Scala G9, but they expired after about 6 years. Bought a Packtalk, been brilliant. When I bought the Packtalk, Sena have released the 20s, too soon to marked, many unhappy customers. Think they are sorted now though. Either Sena or Scala are good units, each have their fan base.Bike to Bike want the Packtalk DMC works really well, much better than using PMR radios, that is old tech.

Can I ask... the Scala pack talk. If you have 3, 4 or more using the same, is the connection simple and easy to set up?. What (we) are looking for is a system the keeps connection without dropping out and if one does “leave”, continuous connection carries on.

I ask because recently 5 of us went to Lake District. We all have Interphone F5 but we could not keep the Bluetooth link for us all. Your insight would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Stay away from Interphone I have three Interphone Tour units wife has one and I got spair as I had to send one back due to not holding charge..
they work fine on there own on intercom but if we use satnav with them the satnav will come on with instructions and then intercom will not come back for five mins are so if your lucky that is.
That problem is with all three units .
Works well one unit on its own with phone and satnav just dont expect to have two are more units working together and satnav ..

Sena 20S has been my unit for a few years. Three of us have them, and all of us are happy with the performance overall.
Don't think there is a 'perfect' unit out there, but the Sena's get the best reviews, and have some very good features.

None of us has had any issues with water ingress, and we have rode through some epic mountain rain storms.

Stay away from Interphone I have three Interphone Tour units wife has one and I got spair as I had to send one back due to not holding charge..
they work fine on there own on intercom but if we use satnav with them the satnav will come on with instructions and then intercom will not come back for five mins are so if your lucky that is.
Works well one unit on its own with phone and satnav just dont expect to have two are more units working together and satnav ..

We can generally use 3 F5's linked together for comms (don't bother for satnav instructions) but any more that that and the link will not stay for more than 5-10 mins and then suddenly come back on (or not). hugely disappointing when you go away fro a long weekend trip with 4 friends and can't keep comms at all.

anyway... dumped the F5's for Scala Packtalk now... delivery due on Thursday.

How Interphone cant seem to get things right a very well made and solid units but they just are not a match for Sena and Scala units regarding connectivity ..
would love to know if any one has got them and they work with one are more units and SatNav also !

Cardo packtalk and the new bold have a system called dynamic mesh control (dmc )
And whilst using this set up you can have 15 units connected
I have only ever used 4 but can say that it is imo epic once set you can be apx 4-5 miles apart and still chat if you drop someone ie they stop or take the wrong turn when they get back in range it automatically reconnects
So its water proof and works for me
The choice is yours

Have you updated the firmware ?

Our Sena SMH10 setup has given up the ghost. We have had it for probably 3 years and cost at the time was over £200. Not good. On the lookout for a new bluetooth unit.

A wise choice as I put a question to Cardo about my battery and guess what they replaced it for a brand new one even though it was 28 months old great customer service as they said it has a 2year guarantee and I did explain that it was 28 months old they still replaced it so in my opinion great bit of kit and a very good company

I've got both scala and sena in different helmets. My 10u sena is good because it isn't visible from the outside but I do think the scala is a better unit and like how the volume goes up and down depending on what speed you're doing.

I’ll act the technical numpty and ask the question yet again but tailored to my requirements.

What I’m after is a set up that works completely independently on two bikes so we can be away on our own, allows incoming/outgoing phone calls, allows both of us to listen to music if we want to and allows me to tell Mrs B where to go when she starts screaming that she wants to stop for a coffee and I’m not interested.

Am I asking too much and if not what’s the best choice without exceeding the GDP of a small country? A clue is that I’m looking at buying a new crash helmet and right now the favourite is a Schoei Neotec so if I can buy a first generation Neotec and the saving compared to a second generation one pays for the comms system I’ll be like a dog with two dicks :D

If it exceeds that then the tears won’t cause flash flooding if the system works but I’d be a bit sulky if it ended up being a crap or punched electric shocks into my head when it rained.

Edit: I’m not interested in listening to a satnav because I ignore them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom