Cruise Control?

wintrup

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to BMWs and although I know the GS has cruise control as standard I'm finding it hard to get specs on the R1200R (which is what I'm looking at). Is cruise control standard or a luxury add on? And finally, what years have it. After doing a few thousand miles through France, Spain and Portugal last year on my TDM, I'm looking for a more comfort, especially for my achy wrist, and my next bike has got to have cruise control. Cheers.

Comes as part of the Dynamic Package

Go on to the BMW Motorrad web-site. Select your model, then go in to the configurator section to spec the bike as you would like it :thumby:

PS the GS does not have cruise control as standard unless (like the R1200R) you initially go for the top spec bike

I had cruise control on my R1200R, it was a top spec bike with a full set of knobs and switches....when I set off for Italy having just bought the bike I thought it was probably a pointless gimmick, by the time we got home, I thought it was indispensable.....superb.

Mick.

Hi
I'm new to BMWs and although I know the GS has cruise control as standard I'm finding it hard to get specs on the R1200R (which is what I'm looking at). Is cruise control standard or a luxury add on? And finally, what years have it. After doing a few thousand miles through France, Spain and Portugal last year on my TDM, I'm looking for a more comfort, especially for my achy wrist, and my next bike has got to have cruise control. Cheers.

My 1200R has cruise. It's the Exclusive model, 2015. I am about to put it up for sale, if you are interested in knowing the details let me know.

Edit - I bought the bike from Kettle738 above

Yes agree with the above. Thought it a gimmick till I did my first long trip. I use it lots now.

As for the R1200r had the older twincam models, good value compared to the rest of the range new. Above 80 the wind blast was a bit much for me. 70-75 just right for a old fart like me.

Ride a r1200rt now. You can ride at any speed on that in comfort the screen is great.

+1 for cruise control.

All day, every day. Any time, any place.

It really surprised my new (to me) IAM coach the other night when I admitted that I had, and used, cruise A Lot :)

Can this be retrofitted to a 1200R 2015
Have you already got the controls on the left hand switchgear? If so it could be a software update, if not, probably not possible, I have it on my 2015 Sport model but it has all the add ons except keyless.

OK, cheers. I won't be buying new, so I'll have to check.
BMW add different things to the R in different years and stuff that wasn't on a certain model one year can be added the next (the same applies to the RS and GS too) so as you say best check what the bike you're looking at buying actually has as there will be different variants of the same bike in a year too e.g. a base model and the SE for the R, there could be a "Sport" and an "Exclusive" in there too depending on the year. To add more complexity the original buyer can add various extras either individually or as part of a "pack" to the build as well. Welcome to confused.com :beerjug:

Its funny before this GS i had never had heated grips or cruise control, now i wouldnt be without either.

i use CC all the time, even when on the motorway in a 50 zone just select 50 and know that the variable speed cameras are taken care of.
you can then rest your right hand if needed.
My bike is the exclusive on 2017 plate.

Just get yourself to a BMW dealer and check out TE models, they have the extra kit on like that.

When i went to my dealer i was caught by a salesman looking at my current bike drooling at it, it had no price on it though. he came and said it was 12k..... my heart sank i had already imagined myself riding it 😩

I told my salesman exactly what i had to spend (7k plus my bike to part ex worth around 3k), he admitted he had nothing in that cheap!!!
he took my phone number and i left.

3 days later he rang and said he had shuffled the figures and he could sort the bike i was drooling over for the money i had.... he did explain how on the phone, i was so shocked and excited i wasn't listening LOL

That first day after picking it up my face ached i was smiling so hard lol
i did feel like i got a bargain, a fully specced just 3yr old GS in June 2020 for 10k and its been a great bike, i love it.

good luck with your search wintrup 👍

Techinaclly, if any modern enough R1200R on a used market has one of these fitted on the left switchgear, then in theory the bike will have a cruise control activated.

IMG_9768.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom