Ktm 1290r insurance quote?

Many thanks guys... just a little shocked with the quotes on go compare... ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought mine was bad 53 no had a bike for 4 years so no no claims 9k with ebike . given up on the idea of a new bike now !

I agree with Nick, value had a part to play in insurance quotes, as does the insurance group, they will all have a bean counter there who puts together complex formulas for quotes loading for factors such as:

Rider Age
Length Licence held
Value of bike
Insurance Group
NCD
Number of years continuous riding
Convictions

So even if you have had a licence 20 years if you have not ridden for 15 years many insurers might have this as a factor that adds a very high loading, others might not care about this but dislike high value bikes.

The more boxes you tick for them the more likely you are to get a good quote, but if you passed your test last week, have 9 points on your licence and want a Fireblade SP2 your unlikely to find a good quote. The same criteria except wanting a brand new CB500 is likely to get an OK quote.

I found once into my 30's with constant bike riding since I was 16, full NCD and clean (or nearly clean) licence getting competitive quotes on anything was not a challenge, now well into my forties with 20+ years NCD and a clean licence low quotes are easy....

...but when I needed to remove the NCD from the 1190 to use on another bike my insurer jumped from £300 to £1200, go compare was handy for checking the difference, with full NCD quotes started around £200 with lots of low prices, without the NCD only a couple came back under £400 and none under £300.

This is the beauty of comparison sites, it is very easy a price for any bike before you buy it, I also use them to add commuting or business use, only takes a minute or two to edit the quote and see the difference, the same applies to adding larger excess etc.

Guys...I’m at an age where lollypop ladies look young to me......I insure my “17” gsa triple black and “67” ktm 1290 sas with BMW / Devitt on a multi bike policy....30000 miles pa...total £620...... one sp30....no claims.....

Guys...I’m at an age where lollypop ladies look young to me......I insure my “17” gsa triple black and “67” ktm 1290 sas with BMW / Devitt on a multi bike policy....30000 miles pa...total £620...... one sp30....no claims.....

Surprised. you have a non-BMW on a BMW policy, tried that myself before and rejected.!

Hi all...
just got some quotes for the 1290 SAR... cheapest £782.... I live in Southampton, clean license and 52.. full license since I was 17... the next quote was over £2200!!!
If this is how expensive it is to insure may have to stick with the Africa Twin ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth and I know that it’s not exactly the same but I’m 42, live in Southampton and insure my 1190 Adv R (valued at £10k) with 6 years protected NCB for £165. I’ve had a license for 20 years but for insurance purposes onto have 6 years motorcyle riding experience. The only exclusions are no pillion and garaged at the home address. Also that’s with a £0 voluntary excess, £350 compulsory excess and up to 5,999 miles per year. That was renewed in Jan 2018 and is with Bikesure.

From previous experience I know that there is no difference in premium for any stated mileage upto 5,999 miles per year but as soon as you want to do more than this then it does become more expensive.

I’ve had it for two years and have never paid more than £200 for the same cover

Try these:

http://www.principalinsurance.co.uk/

Got my 1290GT down to £300 and something quid. off bikes for 7 years no NCB.

Im with principal, however not for long BeMoto are £200 cheaper on a multi bike policy and the policy (titanium) comes fully loaded with european breakdown, rider gear cover the full works, they don't charge any fees for amendments either.

Devitts do a BMW scheme and I covered my 2017 GSA and KTM 1290 SDR with them for about £700 from memory - I’m similar age too

One big problem with insurance these days is the value of the bike your trying to insure.
Think £15,000 is the magic sum where they have to refer to their underwriters.

So if you can keep the value below that, your in with a quick quote. Problem is. If your bike has cost you £19,000. You don't really want to under insure it.

But does insurance company care about you loosing -20% in VAT? this would suggest that the moment you signed on a ………. line you've lost £3800 of your £19000 value in the bike, so that does make it £15200 and by the time you've rode it back home and to the dealer for the firs service, well that it lost another £201 (if not more) in depreciation due to 600 miles on the clock. That makes it worth £14999 (magic number) at 1 month old. So realistically you could say that your brand spanking new steed worth far less to insurance company than it is to you, hence the amount of write-offs you see in the recent years compare to decade ago. That is because bits that need replacing, even if you think those are minor, cost of bits, labour, insurers costs, etc, etc. make it non cost effective to repair. so you get basic market value for your steed should you decide to bind it, even if it is only few months old.

I thought the whole raison d'être of insurance was to put you back into the position you were in before the event that triggered your claim.

Insurance companies should not just take your money and then try and screw you with low ball offers if you make a legitimate claim, although that is what seems to happen.

Insurance companies generally used to spring for a new bike if it was written off in the first year. AFAIK that no longer happens.

When your bike is in an accident it is second hand, so that is the value they pay out.

Insurance companies generally used to spring for a new bike if it was written off in the first year. AFAIK that no longer happens.

When your bike is in an accident it is second hand, so that is the value they pay out.

They will often go for a really low price, like what you would expect a dealer to give you as a cash sale on a real shitter with above average mileage, and then the game begins (or you get shafted)

When the Mrs got punted off by some pissed twat two years ago I went online the same day and found every bike of the same year and model on Bike Trader and MCN, took screenshots and noted prices and mileages as I feared a write-off and lowball offer.

This gave me evidence of cost to replace the bike that very day it got trashed.

When the insurance company asks me the value of my bike or car, I always say market value, then make sure I have adequate return to invoice shortfall insurance. I won’t get into a how much is my vehicle worth conversation with them.

When the insurance company asks me the value of my bike or car, I always say market value, .

Can you get away with saying that really ! Because your policy price is based on what you state it's worth, however they never pay what you state it's worth, just another way to fook you over.

Can you get away with saying that really ! Because your policy price is based on what you state it's worth, however they never pay what you state it's worth, just another way to fook you over.

Yep. That’s why I won’t give them a figure; they have the figures on the database. Some won’t quote until you give them the figure, others just put market value. When I’ve asked the ones that ask for the figure if that’s what they’ll pay, they say they will only pay market value.:blast

Back
Top Bottom