New RT accessories?

Chris Harris

Reaction score
Just done a deal on a new RT from BMW in Chester. Changing from my GS which I love but I am doing more winter riding and want better weather protection.
What are the first accessories I should be looking at? Any advice welcome - keep it polite!!:D

You can also get bumpers for the pannier boxes, they get scuffed if you drop the bike. You might even get the dealer to throw them in with the price, as they are not overly expensive.

:beerjug:

As above, and a front mudguard extender. Depending on how tall you are don’t forget you can get low or high seat, and also a taller screen. I’m 195cm and the tall screen to look over gives you less air in the face.

Machineart fender extender
Crash bars
Pannier protectors

These are the ones I'd say are mandatory. Bike comes so well equipped you don't really need much else.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got a fender extender that's had a extension put on. Not by me, have to say it looks rather good.

Cylinder head protection. Followed by pannier protection.(the hard ridged rib type)

Panniers can get scuffed by your boots catching them getting on/off the bike. I bought some 100mm strips of helicopter tape and covered the areas prone to damage. I had to watch a few videos to get tips on doing it. But for less than £10 both panniers done.

Have a look at the shape of the cut outs on the commerciallly available ones. That's a good starting point.

Enjoy your new bike.

First thing I had fitted to my new RT was 3M Ventureshield paint protection, then the BMW pannier protection kit and Fender Extender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother with this. Ended up sending mine back to Nippy Norman's as it was faulty. Irrespective of that, the 'arm' that holds the nav in place would have rattled like a bastard when you had no nav in there. Grossly over-priced for what it is. That said, the inability to secure the nav to the bike whilst away for a couple of minutes - coffee, paying for fuel etc. is a huge oversight by BMW and I can't believe they haven't rectified it yet.

+1 for that although i got the cheaper version of protection from NN,s and it was a nightmare to fit

Does ventureshield come to you for fitting, or do you have to go to them? I don’t fancy doing my own.

:friday

Had mine fitted by Covertech in Birmingham, excellent service and very happy with the fitting.

http://www.covertechmidlands.com/bikes.php

Covertech Midlands
Unit 1 Middleway Industrial Estate
239-255 Moseley Road
Highgate
Birmingham B12 0EA

+1 for that although i got the cheaper version of protection from NN,s and it was a nightmare to fit

(Cant edit this post for some reason) I did also say,get the Avant fender extenda from NN,s,No drilling or 3M pads and look tons better than Pyramid and the like,and if you can afford it the Touratech crash bars

Headlight protection film.

Rewire the auxiliary power socket directly from the battery (via a fuse) so you can run heated clothing.

General Paint protection film (but get the headlight sorted first as that does take a beating and it DOES deteriorate.

Had mine fitted by Covertech in Birmingham, excellent service and very happy with the fitting.

http://www.covertechmidlands.com/bikes.php

Covertech Midlands
Unit 1 Middleway Industrial Estate
239-255 Moseley Road
Highgate
Birmingham B12 0EA

Covertech are excellent. Have done a couple of bikes for me and an excellent job. Nice blokes who know bikes and cars.

2007 RT

i have fitted

- "up and rear" bar risers
- louder horn
- sat nav mount - sits on top of the dash - wired into aux "cigarette lighter" socket (ie ignition controlled)
- rear mudflap extender (fits below number plate)
- larger screen (Cee Baileys)
- heavier bar end weights to cure the 'numb hands' vibration problem

The numb hands vibration disappeared once there was decent mileage on the bike. It went away after about 6k and has never returned

Back
Top Bottom