Front shock oil leak

DaddyPaddy

Black Ones R Fastest
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the bike in for some work yesterday at Motorrad, tech highlighted that there was oil leaking from the top of the front shock. Decision was made to clean and check for further evidence of leaking oil. Rode the bike back home 75 miles or so and checked again this morning. No sign of any further leakage either on top of the shock / garage floor. Yesterday was the first time that the bike has been used in a while. Should I be concerned? Any advice welcome, trip abroad planned in three weeks time!! Tia :thumby:

Had the bike in for some work yesterday at Motorrad, tech highlighted that there was oil leaking from the top of the front shock. Decision was made to clean and check for further evidence of leaking oil. Rode the bike back home 75 miles or so and checked again this morning. No sign of any further leakage either on top of the shock / garage floor. Yesterday was the first time that the bike has been used in a while. Should I be concerned? Any advice welcome, trip abroad planned in three weeks time!! Tia :thumby:
It could mean "all" the oil has now gone !

Some seals (hello ohlins), don't like sitting around and start leaking upon usage, as they've dried out. Also check the shaft has no pitting etc.

I'd keep it clean and a quick visual check prior riding

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

How many miles has it done?
Wilbers (and I expect Ohlins) say that shocks should be stripdown serviced every 15K miles.
Companies like MCT can service OEM shocks. There are others.

Don't believe that all the oil has gone as she's riding fine with no noticeable issues, shaft seems ok as well. Would it be possible for a bit of oil to pass the seal due to it might of been dried out due to sitting over the winter and then the sudden use. Bike has just about 15K. My concern is that a forthcoming trip is circa 3.5K and if the problem worsened. Is Wilbers the best replacement option if so which one (non-ESA model) / costs? Appreciate response gents :thumby:

My rsv1000sp used to eat ohlins fork seals, as they "dried out" K-tech seals resolved the problem.

If, the bike was on its side stand and not moved for a couple of months, then they may leak slightly upon usage but be fine afterwards.

If, no obvious damage to shaft, then a rebuild with replacement spring is around £200 per shock from K-tech. MCT also are good too.

If, you do go down the replacement front, hyperpro are worth a look at too.

My front did 60,000 with no leaks but by then the damping was long gone. I could put up with it because my riding was 95% motorways.
The back had gone at a bit over 30K again no leaks but it was kicking back on road bumps (knackered damping).

For Wilbers options, talk to Revs Racing of Halesowen.

There are other suppliers including Hagon.

You need to bite the bullet here. Either get the crappy OE rebuilt or replace with Wilbers or similar. Total failure during a long overseas trip could be a right bugger to sort out.

Once these OE units show a leak, damping performance falls away & you may find the tyre will cup as the wheel struggles to maintain contact with the road. The front suspension design makes testing the unit difficult in situ, hence you say damping seems OK. When removed & stripped the story is usually very different without the spring in tension.

One of club members in vjmc was selling pair of gsa tc hagon shocks -20mm springs.

Will see him at Scottish Bike show Friday and can find out costs etc, if it's any help.

One of club members in vjmc was selling pair of gsa tc hagon shocks -20mm springs.

Will see him at Scottish Bike show Friday and can find out costs etc, if it's any help.

Appreciate your offer and would be interested in cost. For now it's ride and monitor with fingers crossed, money tree is hitting autum already!! :thumby:

They were on his last gsa, and he removed them when he got newer gsa which has esa, he hadn't done much mileage on them.

As my gsa has hyperpro with remotes front/rear; high/low compression and rebound I wasn't that interested, so no price was discussed.

If you pm me, I can pass your details on.

Appreciate your offer and would be interested in cost. For now it's ride and monitor with fingers crossed, money tree is hitting autum already!! :thumby:

John McDonnell might have a few tips. His tree seems overburdened with low hanging fruits.

Seriously though, get it fixed before your touring trip.

It fairly east to tell if the front is nackered.
Just watch the tops of the fork sliders below the top yoke as you go over a bumpy bit of road. The front wheel will bounce and the uncontrolled bounce will be very visible up top.

I have suffered two nakered front shocks this year, and that was the first symptom.

Cheers KP100 its ride and monitor at the moment. Doing some research into a possible YSS replacement, seem reasonable and at decent money as well :thumby:

It fairly east to tell if the front is nackered.
Just watch the tops of the fork sliders below the top yoke as you go over a bumpy bit of road. The front wheel will bounce and the uncontrolled bounce will be very visible up top.

I have suffered two nakered front shocks this year, and that was the first symptom.

Mine was so bad it messed up the front tyre tread but handling was not especially bad. It never leaked.

How many miles has it done?
Wilbers (and I expect Ohlins) say that shocks should be stripdown serviced every 15K miles.
Companies like MCT can service OEM shocks. There are others.

Hello gents !
If any of you would like to rebuild the OEM shocks let me know ...
Last year I've done four of them (rear) with and without ESA for my friends.
I'm not the professional but i'm mechanic with all the tools
I can do this relatively cheap.
Total cost will be no more then £100 if you can drop this on my doorstep.
This includes Motul oil new seal-head and nitrogen recharge.
I didn't have a chance to do the front shock yet but this shouldn't be more difficult then rear.

61328687df0f9b412e60c487c12c80d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DenzO

It looks like you could have a nice little business going on with that suggestion..... It'd be an idea if you became a subscriber to stay in the spirit of the forum :thumb2

DenzO

It looks like you could have a nice little business going on with that suggestion..... It'd be an idea if you became a subscriber to stay in the spirit of the forum :thumb2

Great suggestions! actually I was for some time and for some reason I didn't login to my account for about two years ...now With this tapatalk it's completely different story!

Hello gents !
If any of you would like to rebuild the OEM shocks let me know ...
Last year I've done four of them (rear) with and without ESA for my friends.
I'm not the professional but i'm mechanic with all the tools
I can do this relatively cheap.
Total cost will be no more then £100 if you can drop this on my doorstep.
This includes Motul oil new seal-head and nitrogen recharge.
I didn't have a chance to do the front shock yet but this shouldn't be more difficult then rear.

61328687df0f9b412e60c487c12c80d6.jpg

What do you do if you find the rod is worn ?

What do you do if you find the rod is worn ?

Good question!
Probably I would throw it away... and use good one that is laying about in my workshop...
But let's face it most of the shocks leaks due to lack of use ...
After the long brake bike gets thrown of the central stand and ups... seal leaking!
And hay ho if I can't fix I won't make it worse .
Steptoe you are respected technician !
You know for your self sometimes you win sometimes you lose...
But never give up!

Back
Top Bottom