Lambda Needed?????

AustinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been some issues with stalling. Plugged in the GS 911 today and with the engine stone cold and not running the realtime values for the Lambdas was interesting:

Lambda Sensor voltage 1 : 449.21Mv
Lambda Sensor voltage 2 : 4218.70Mv

After staring the engine Lambda #1 seemed to be behaving as expected, i.e. jumping about between about 850Mv and 50Mv. Lambda #2 voltage however stayed at around 4218Mv for a short while before slowly dropping and until after about 5 minutes it came within the right sort of range and then stared to jump about as expected if perhaps not quite with the same frequency as #1 when I looked on the graph. Revving the engine though seems to bring the graph lines more or less into sync (which I think is normal and OK).

When I checked things again after the engine had cooled right down again both Lamdas now had the same reading, BUT there was a new fault code: "10018 Lambda (O2) sensor (Cylinder 2); Signal or value over threshold". Fault logged 85secs after I started the engine with the strange readings I mentioned above, with the voltage is recorded as 1.33v. The fault is no longer present.

I assume the bike ignored the 4218Mv reading as the engine was cold but when it thought it was time to sample the Lambda it got the reading of 1.33v and threw the fault.

New Lambda time? Which side of the bike is number 2?

Background
2011 GSA. Started to run a bit rough a month or so back - a bit vibey, a bit sluggish to the throttle, a bit just not quite right and the 5K flat spot felt flatter than normal. When proper hot - like in traffic straight from the motorway tickover was bit erratic and it needed a bit of throttle to smooth it. Stalled (died really) if I wasn't quick with the throttle when pulling the clutch in. No fault codes. However all the roughness was a bit intermittent and I could still have a good 60-70mph run without drama. The problem always occurred at low speed with a hot (and getting hotter) engine.

Nevertheless thinking it was a heat related issue affecting the coils I bought a set of 4 used Coils and swapped them out. On the first outing on local roads initially all seemed OK but about 15miles in it died a couple of times before clearing up. Next day I gave it a blast down the motorway thinking it would burn off any contamination that may have built up on the lambdas and plugs as a result of an iffy coil. This seemed to improve things no end. Bike was back to its normal self and we had a few good runs out with no issues. Probably did 300miles and all was good.

But the problem has come back. It kept dying on me filtering through motorway traffic. Once back going again at motorway speed all seemed good again if perhaps a little off balance - but I could have been being overly sensitive - and I completed a 250 mile day with no other issues, although I didn't need to do any more town or low speed riding. GS911 when I got home had no relevant faults (I had had a bulb fail and the flappy exhaust valve is missing).

Lambda 2 is faulty , to find out which is 2, disconnect one sensor .You should get a fault code telling you which sensor is open circuit.
I would guess sensor 2 is the left side of engines but that is car logic.

Pics from the computer and GS911

Before I started
7511bc7b8dd7996d66bb9daec9e06728.jpg

Shortly after starting
44691dfeba5446d7276d6e22556fc972.jpg

The fault code
dab81ebe402692a26ac93642e8bdddee.jpg

Sounds like the lamda heater isn’t working, and it will be on the LHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get 1900mv there is a short on the sensor , or a bad earth.
Anyways it's faulty , replace it.
Job done

Thanks chaps. Confirmed my thinking. Now I just need to fight the 7 years of corrosion on the lambda threads.

How can it corrode if it is screwed in?

Its a BMW :D

Before you scrap it. is the faulty Lambda all sooted up? If so you might have a misfire. the intermittent ignition puts unused oxygen down the exhaust, so the ECU (thinking its running weak) adds more fuel making it run rich when it does fire. That soots up the O2 sensor.

Well that went better than expected. A quick dab of releasing oil and by the time I had got the upper and lower head covers off and figured out how to separate the connector, a 22mm ring spanner and just a modest amount of heave-Ho and the Lambda sensor gave up its grip on the exhaust and easily unscrewed. New Lambda in but had the slightly shorter wire. It still fits but the wire is tight and where it was cable tied it’s not now. It’ll be fine.

There was a new fault code on the ECU from 20 miles ago so it definitely needed changing although judging by the nice clean pale grey you wouldn’t have thought so.

The removed sensor
f8c46d9b634d096db04bb8c924c14c97.jpg

Bollocks, that hasn’t fixed it. :(.

I went for a test run, all good to start then as I trundled through a 30 and slowed right down for traffic i could feel it go lumpy and then tickover went erratic - hunting between about 1000rpm and 1500rpm and feeling like it’s about to die. I could also smell exhaust, probably mine, so probably running rich for some reason. The teeniest bit of weight on the throttle settles the tickover at just above normal. A little way up the road and after a minute or so waiting at lights - on the throttle - it all went back to normal and was fine for the 10miles back home.

No fault codes stored.

Any ideas. I did a TPS reset and did all the tests on the FI that the gs911 allows. I am going on another test run.

It could be bendy but I did replace all 4 coils a couple of weeks ago. They were secondhand though so possible I have traded one iffy coil for another but it would be an extraordinary coincidence to replicate the fault.

Anyway I just got back from 30 mile run attempting to replicate the circumstances where the rough running starts and everything has been good. In fact the bike is running as good as it ever has. I dunno, maybe the TPS reset has done some good.

I have seen air temperature sensors so far out i.e showing 60 degrees C on the GS911 when it is only 10 degrees C.
Start & run ok when cold but run rich & rough when hot and too far out for the ecu to adapt out.
Just a thought and only takes a few seconds to check with the GS911.

I have seen air temperature sensors so far out i.e showing 60 degrees C on the GS911 when it is only 10 degrees C.
Start & run ok when cold but run rich & rough when hot and too far out for the ecu to adapt out.
Just a thought and only takes a few seconds to check with the GS911.

Thanks, I had previously seen that you mentioned this as a potential problem in someone else thread so it was one of the first things I checked. At start it was at ambient temperature i.e. around 8 degrees C on the day I did it but slowly went up as the engine warmed the air around which I assumed would be normal. After 5 mins or so it had reached 20C. Where is the air temperature sensor? I assume its not the same one as gives the readout on the dashboard - which is up by the clocks - as that continued to display ambient temperature.

It could be bendy but I did replace all 4 coils a couple of weeks ago. They were secondhand though so possible I have traded one iffy coil for another but it would be an extraordinary coincidence to replicate the fault.

Anyway I just got back from 30 mile run attempting to replicate the circumstances where the rough running starts and everything has been good. In fact the bike is running as good as it ever has. I dunno, maybe the TPS reset has done some good.

Indeed you would have to be very unlucky to have bought another dodgy coil. Maybe it just needs time to settle down. Soot on the sensors from your old coils should clean off as the bike is used. A good fast motorway blast will do it.

Back
Top Bottom