Would you upgrade ?

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently driving a 2016 F800GS and love it. Drives smooth, handles the big roads and nimble enough to get to work in city traffic. I just can’t help but feel drawn to the 1200. Always catches my eye and I find I’m constantly keeping an eye for a good sale

Anyone done the same and regretted it? I thought buying the 800 that I’d do some off-road but I found I’m still touring more often than not. I took a 1200 for a test drive, 2013 model and found it clunky in the gear changes and it really put me off. Chances are ill go new and do a trade in

The 1200 will be better for touring but for local everyday riding I’d go with the 800. I get more fun from my smaller bikes so much so that I’ve just traded in my 1290 GT for a 790 Duke.

I had both a 13 and 14 LCs and the gearbox was horrible on both but a friend had a 13 and his was always great.

Try before you buy?

You have to go and try it and if you thinks it's worth yours plus around £10k..go for it. If yours does everything you need, why not save the £10k and spend it on many many trips. It's the trips you'll remember in years to come, not the day you got a new bike that had 400 more CCs and was a bit cooler (debate-able)

Sounds like you have an itch that needs scratching, but you are partly answering your own question when you comment so positively about the 800. I was the same with my old 1150, I hankered after a 1200 and couldn't resist only to find I preferred my 1150. Of course it was too late by then.

Good article in Bike mag this month about the 800. I think they are great bikes. They certinally don’t get the problems everyone seems to get on the 1200.

I'd wait until the end of the year to see if the 'new' 1200/1300 is announced.

Sounds like you have an itch that needs scratching, but you are partly answering your own question when you comment so positively about the 800. I was the same with my old 1150, I hankered after a 1200 and couldn't resist only to find I preferred my 1150. Of course it was too late by then.

I did the same
Got a 1200 GSA
Didn't like it
Got smitten with 1150 and bought another

With a view to getting a last of the line LC or one of the new ones ?

Either really. If they announce a new one then the current one should see some keen deals to get rid of stock. Alternatively the new one could be interesting and worth holding on for.

Haven't recent new model BMWs been somewhat plagued with minor issues while the last of the line of outgoing models get everything thrown at them to shift stock...I know what I'd get....but I reckon if I was the OP I'd stick for another year or two

Why not wait for the 850? JJH

Thinking of trading my 2012 F650GS, I ran the 750 & 850 through the BMW Configurator & 'ouch' I got a bit of a shock. With 800 twin prices where they are, I think I shall stick as I only use the thing as a general runaround, just to keep the miles off my Super10. One of those late model high spec F800GSAs might still prove a temptation though.

Some good thoughts there thanks all. Worried that the newer models will take a wee while to get rid of the “bugs”.

Good thinking that a bargain could be had on an older model.

Hmmm decisions decisions. I’ll do another trip on the 800 and see how it goes. Boys and their toys !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was on 800cc but always wanted bigger bike. Last summer bought new GSA and i love it. Great for city and of course for touring

Back
Top Bottom