After run in service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaca2865

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok folks.

Son bought a superduke 1290gt and is hoping after the run in service it’ll gain the sparkle and fun factor folk say it has.

He’s been fastidious in revs and speed so needs to see the benefit after its first service.

What will he find afterwards and does the bike get ‘released’ from its shackles??

Jim

The rev limit will go up after it's passed 1000Km whether it is serviced or not.

Surely the fun depends on how and where you ride it rather than the engine revs? Sorry if that sounds facetious but I’ve had fun so far on mine even though I’m being nice to it until after the first service and all you need to do is find twisty, narrow little roads where 70mph seems like qualifying pace :D

Not facetious at all. He’s never broken in a new steed before and is finding the ‘unknown’ frustrating. He’s even thinking of selling it!!

Surely the fun depends on how and where you ride it rather than the engine revs? Sorry if that sounds facetious but I’ve had fun so far on mine even though I’m being nice to it until after the first service and all you need to do is find twisty, narrow little roads where 70mph seems like qualifying pace :D

How long does he think it will take to do 600 miles on this bike at "break-in" speeds?

I can easily do 300 miles in a fairly relaxed day out on a mix of A and B roads, with much fun to be had along the way without going over the kind of speed this bike will be limited to.

IIRC the "limit" on my 1190 was around 6500 rpm (light came on, but it was not "restricted" to these revs) but with the engine pulling like mad from 3500 (trying to wheelie in 1st -3rd gear) and a cruise speed of around 90mph I did not find it too bad....

....and with just a bit of local riding had it back to the dealers for the 1st service within two weeks.

It's natural to look forward to getting the running-in service out of the way, so the beast can be unleashed, but there are other rewards to look forward to as well.

Firstly, a fastidious runner-in pilot will be paying constant attention to the engine's revs & workload during the first 600 miles. It's a chore, and a great relief to finally be able to just focus on enjoying the ride without having to fuss the engine like a nanny.

Secondly, even after the break-in service, the engine will continue to free up for a few thousand miles more. It'll gradually become smoother, more tractable at low revs, and meatier everywhere else.

Finally (and at risk of sounding patronising) any new bike needs a few thousand miles to get to know properly. Apart from the characteristics of the bike itself, it's the experiences you have with it that build the bond. I would recommend that your son gives his lovely GT a chance with some long trips to beautiful places in warm sunshine before he completely decides how he feels about it :)

Many thanks guys. Good advice.

He would normally rock up the miles but he’s military and spending lots of time away from home, especially since he bought this and when home on leave he has many other commitments.

I’m sure he’ll come round.

Jim

It's natural to look forward to getting the running-in service out of the way, so the beast can be unleashed, but there are other rewards to look forward to as well.

Firstly, a fastidious runner-in pilot will be paying constant attention to the engine's revs & workload during the first 600 miles. It's a chore, and a great relief to finally be able to just focus on enjoying the ride without having to fuss the engine like a nanny.

Secondly, even after the break-in service, the engine will continue to free up for a few thousand miles more. It'll gradually become smoother, more tractable at low revs, and meatier everywhere else.

Finally (and at risk of sounding patronising) any new bike needs a few thousand miles to get to know properly. Apart from the characteristics of the bike itself, it's the experiences you have with it that build the bond. I would recommend that your son gives his lovely GT a chance with some long trips to beautiful places in warm sunshine before he completely decides how he feels about it :)

Not facetious at all. He’s never broken in a new steed before and is finding the ‘unknown’ frustrating. He’s even thinking of selling it!!

I've never run in any bike according to the book and never had a problem.

What I've not done however is let the engine labour or rev the nuts off it. Apart from this I've progressivly increased the revs and not maintained a constant rpm. Many people say this is better for the engine.

What I've not done however is let the engine labour or rev the nuts off it. Apart from this I've progressivly increased the revs and not maintained a constant rpm. Many people say this is better for the engine

What I've not done however is let the engine labour or rev the nuts off it. Apart from this I've progressivly increased the revs and not maintained a constant rpm. Many people say this is better for the engine

+1, been told this by several tuners, and this fella used to build Supersport engines in the US that were quicker than HRC kitted bikes...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Similar to how I run bikes in, roll on / off to build pressure and work engine, no labouring, no thrashing, no extended periods at a steady speed (some say this glazes bores and causes an oil burner)

All my new bikes have been reliable and none have used much oil.

Up and down the gearbox on back roads does it for me. I’ll give them a quick shot up the rev range every so often once I’m happy everything else on the bike is functioning as it should be then once it’s had that first service and oil change I progressively rev them higher and harder but still avoid motorways where the revs will stay more constant until I’ve done about 1,000 miles.

Part of my reasoning behind this is that I’ve seen some of the idiots who do the PDI on new bikes and I simply don’t trust a lot of them.

Spank it from day one. It won’t blow up. ;)

Up to 1100 miles on my GT so starting to unleash it a bit. It did seem to start to breath better after a couple of hundred miles and got progressively better up to the first service. Just ran it with no labouring , no excessive revs though did see the red light a few times and ALWAYS WARM IT UP THOROUGHLY before any enthusiastic use. Now its as docile or as manic as you want it to be, will cruise at 120 without breaking sweat and will lift the front wheel on demand if you're in that kind of mood. Currently believing it to be the best motorcycle i've owned and really looking forward to touring about europe on it this year.

Mine went in for the first service today and I’ve still not really wound it up because the roads were ranging from merely damp to properly wet and the route from Market Deeping to where I live is hardly the most exciting. Ok, I could have gone a bit scenic but I’d got a pair of hand guards I wanted to fit so I was going straight home.

I needn’t have bothered because the package contained two left hand plastic guards rather than one left and one right but I thought I might as well make sure the aluminium brackets fitted and they did but only if you don’t mind them fouling the instrument binnacle :blast

They’ll be going back tomorrow and I’ll get some from somewhere else.

My ever so careful son had the bike serviced whilst home on leave. Awesome power difference and great fun.

Is he happy?????????

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom