And so it resumes

That looks fab Andy :beerjug:

Andres

Thanks. It’s been a mixture of happiness and despair while I’ve been working on it and if I hadn’t cracked on with it over the last fortnight and got it running I’d have broken it for spares so it’s been saved from that fate if nothing else.

Looks great.:thumby:

Worth getting one of these for the rear brake lever.
https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-details/16281

If the cable snaps there is nothing to stop the lever hitting the floor.
Cant tell from the pictures if yours already has one.

It’s not got one but it soon will do. I’d been looking for a way to fit a return spring on it because it didn’t have any way to prevent it dropping and was probably going to end up using a cable tie as a safety strap.

You will probably find this useful when you come to fit it.

Attachments

• SafetySpring.jpg
    SafetySpring.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 857
Thanks, I’d have probably worked it out but that saves a bit of head scratching.

My next mini mission is going to be looking at the charging system so stand by for loads of questions which will eventually filter into the mind of Johno when he hits the same problems :D

I recognise some of the emotions in this thread. :D
Keep it up, glad I don't have to worry about electrics though.
Mark

I wandered around Stafford today and fully expected to see a number of things I wanted (not necessarily needed but wanted) and in a way I was quite pleased to come away with my bank balance largely intact.

I bought a tidy little chromed push type horn button to wire in and use for setting and changing functions on the electronic speedo which cost me under a tenner so that was good. A new fuse carrier because mine arcs if I wriggle it around so it was always going to let me down at some point and then I saw another one that I thought was a better design and at £1.40 it was impossible to resist along with a couple of spare fuses. I also bought a multipack of several hundred fibre washers along with a similar amount of copper washers because you can never have too many of either item :D

The best part was that without any bullshit I’d not have been embarrassed to have my bike there and when you’ve spent ages on a rebuild that’s not a bad way to feel about it.

Work kind of started again yesterday evening while dinner was cooking and I’d nothing better to do so beer in hand I retreated down the garden and fitted the new fuse carrier. Now this may seem straightforward but it came with red cables and the earth wires are red so it was a recipe for disaster easily remedied by the application of black heat shrink. No more rattling fuses :D

I’d also had a problem with the electronic speedo not working so it had been returned to the manufacturer and the repaired item was waiting for me when I got home last night. It’s now fitted to the bike but I’ve not connected it up yet, that’ll be a job for this afternoon after I’ve persuaded the wife we need to go out on the bikes and have a pub lunch :D

It’s gone a bit quiet on here lately......:blast

Come on Andy pull your fecking finger out and get her on the road..........:D

It’s stagnated again. Mainly due to me deciding I really should go back to work if I’m going to get my 35 weeks in this year but I’ve got a bit of time off while I make my wife beans on toast and fish finger sandwiches while she recovers from surgery so I’m planning to dive back into it.

Well it’s been stalled again for too long and I’ve probably only got a week left on my existing contract so I need to put the heater in the workshop, turn on the beer fridge and resume the battle.

I seem to remember that it wasn’t charging and I couldn’t get the stupidly expensive electronic speedo working properly so I’ll bite the bullet and buy an even more expensive mechanical speedo which is what I should have done nearly a year ago :blast

The goal really has to be get it registered and legally on the road before summer but, as ever, that depends on work. The first job will be to drain out any oil that’s made it’s way into the sump since I left it alone then get it started again. At least this time I know it ‘should’ start because I had it running in the summer and once that’s done I’ll try to fathom out why it wasn’t charging. I’m crap with electrics so it’ll be a painful process if it isn’t something glaringly obvious like a loose wire but I’ll get there in the end.

The goal really has to be get it registered and legally on the road before summer but, as ever, that depends on work. The first job will be to drain out any oil that’s made it’s way into the sump since I left it alone then get it started again. At least this time I know it ‘should’ start because I had it running in the summer and once that’s done I’ll try to fathom out why it wasn’t charging. I’m crap with electrics so it’ll be a painful process if it isn’t something glaringly obvious like a loose wire but I’ll get there in the end.

Dont know if you have tried this Andy; but it could be worth a look look with regards to the charging problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181125-104418.jpg
    Screenshot_20181125-104418.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Screenshot_20181125-104404.jpg
    Screenshot_20181125-104404.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 486
I’ll have a look at setting the air gap but I’ve got my fingers crossed that the solution is much simpler than that. I’m more inclined to blame a dislodged or damaged wire because I’ve done so much messing about with the wiring that it’s almost inevitable that I’ll have fucked something up :blast

Crikey, we’re close to 18 months on and I still haven’t checked that air gap :blast

The good news is that I’ve removed the orange thing from my workshop and it’s time to get back to horrible old British bikes. I suppose the first job is to make sure it hasn’t wet sumped and that the oil is where it should be, take the plugs out and give them a dip in the ultrasonic tank so they’re in tip top condition, pour some fresh fuel in the petrol tank (the old stuff can be used to flush the Xylene out of the Montjuic tank but that’s another story) and give it a dose of size 9 boot :D

I’ve no doubt it’ll start because it was behaving when I last paid it a bit of attention though it might need a sniff the first time I kick it over.

Well 3 hours in and I’ve reached the point where The home brew came out and I’m sitting catching the sun on the patio.

First step was draining oil from the sump.

f17c41286419bffc0dd438fb67bb187c.jpg

It looked ok so it went back in and there was hardly shite left in the container so I’m happy enough with that.

Next step was clean the almost new strainer but to be honest it didn’t need it though it’s better to put it back knowing it’s good.

f97cf5d46f1f42499701f503de6987d4.jpg

The plugs came out for a clean and again, they weren’t bad but they went back in looking clean and giving big blue sparks.

74ad8195ed62d89916a0bf443b6f6444.jpg

8aca8bf1a854a1f5b32f2e4594ba5d2c.jpg

I put a couple of litres of petrol in, gave it a whiff of easy start in the filter and tried to start it...

Nope. It fired but wouldn’t catch and I suspect it’s that old favourite of gummed up carbs. Fuel is getting to them but when I try to prime them nothing comes out. Bastard!

At that point I decided to re-connect the front indicators where the cable ends had been squashed and broken off by the block connectors I used (lazy bastard) so they’ve now got crimped ferrules and the indicators work.

I’ll go back to it later but right now it’s a nice sunny afternoon so I’m sitting catching some rays on my skinny white legs and chilling out with a beer

I fucking hate that Notrun

Back
Top Bottom