Headlight bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, yes. There is s little update. Two points.

1. The lamp itself seems to be behaving. I mean during a hot day (28-30°C depending on who's gauge you believe) its stopped cutting out. So either there is a changed to circumstances I can't see, or it's about to blow :)

2. I have 3D printed a tailor made duct that runs under the headlamp assembly, bends 90° and surrounds the cooling fins on the rear of the lamp/bulb itself. Printed in carbon reinforced ABS. It's not quite right from a fitment point of view, some little refinements needed. But my thinking is, if the lamp gets a stream of air, it won't have reached any where near a 'cut-out' temp when you hit the slow moving traffic. This shouldn't be necessary really, but with lunchtime, sandwich in hand and CAD programme open in front of me it's hard not to start mucking around.

I'll keep you posted. The light off these lamps is great. And because it's free of ballasts etc, the fitting is dead easy.
Any update on this? Did you get this sorted? I’m thinking of buying the Solzy H7 Kit for my TC and I’ve emailed them due to some website ordering issues but have yet to get a reply.
The HQ-Automotive options look very similar but are they Canbus-friendly?

Cheers,
G

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Cheers for that update slipperyeel. Great work on the duct, if you get the design sorted you might have a nice little earner on your hands.

If only Sol would respond to my email about ordering I’d be delighted.

Anyone have any ideas on the HQ-Automotive being Canbus friendly or not?

Mine has a passive heat sink that’s too tall for the bulb cover cap. I cut the back off a bulb cover and used that to trap some strong polythene. The poly is clipped around the LED bulb stem with a small zip tie.
It’s not hermetically sealed but damp/dirt have not got into the headlamp case.
The Mk1 rubber glove idea didn’t last but a more durable seal worked fine.
Fan cooled LEDs should be better but will need a taller cover over the fan end. Air will recirculate into the headlamp. The lamp body never gets warm with halogen bulbs that generate A LOT more heat so LEDs should be fine.

I went ahead and ordered the LEDs from HQ Automotive as I got no response to my emails from Solid Solutions. I’ve fitted them and the light from them is impressive. Less impressive is the rubber covers that came with them. It’s a universal fit so not designed specifically for the GS and to be honest it’s not going to work without some serious modification to maintain the waterproof integrity of the headlight housing.
It doesn’t seem like the covers that Solid Solutions offer are available separately or anywhere else that I can find.

As mine work ok with passive heat sinks. I'm sure the fam cooled type would be fine. The issue is either a big enough soft cover over the whole access cover with space for air circulation or a membrane of some sort around the bulb body so the fan (or heat sink) can sit outside of the lamp shell.

Ask yourself two questions ..

1) What is the cover for?

2) What does it actually do?

Have you tried running the leds without a cover.. if you look the heatsink takes up almost all of the avialable space in the apature ;)

Ask yourself two questions ..

1) What is the cover for?

2) What does it actually do?

Have you tried running the leds without a cover.. if you look the heatsink takes up almost all of the avialable space in the apature ;)

The bulb will be quite happy but there is no way to clean inside the headlight. Who knows why the glass had to be bonded in when it could have had a soft gasket.

My passive heat sink bulb barely gets warm even in this hot weather but it’s sitting in free air. The poly membrane is trapped by the bulb cover which I cut down to a ring. It’s quite likely a suitable grommet exists but I had spare covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom