Headlight bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you would have a headligh left with those in 100 watt will melt the billody thing

I wouldn't use them if I where you.

7500k is just for show, the light will be shite and if they are 100w they will cause you problems and be illegal.

Just my tuppence.

Sent from a U11

I don't think you would have a headligh left with those in 100 watt will melt the billody thing

I wouldn't use them if I where you.

7500k is just for show, the light will be shite and if they are 100w they will cause you problems and be illegal.

Just my tuppence.

Sent from a U11

Many thanks :thumb2

At that price, they'll be quality kit.

100w isn't really going to improve the light penetration, it's shite; and main beam is useless and fucking shite too.

If you really want to see where you're going spend the money with les, of this parish, and get a decent set of HiDs, just dip will be fine.

Or just send me the money, I'll spend it on dog biscuits for my Spaniel, which will be more worthwhile than those bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

At that price, they'll be quality kit.

100w isn't really going to improve the light penetration, it's shite; and main beam is useless and fucking shite too.

If you really want to see where you're going spend the money with les, of this parish, and get a decent set of HiDs, just dip will be fine.

Or just send me the money, I'll spend it on dog biscuits for my Spaniel, which will be more worthwhile than those bulbs.

Already have hids fitted but just looking at possible alternatives with the change to MoT rules.

If you start one of those JustGiving pages to feed your spaniel I'll happily donate ;)

Already have hids fitted but just looking at possible alternatives with the change to MoT rules.

If you start one of those JustGiving pages to feed your spaniel I'll happily donate ;)
He thanks you in advance !

I've got 55w HiDs and according to my mot tester, as long as it isn't dazzling by being at incorrect height, then why would he fail it ?

He thanks you in advance !

I've got 55w HiDs and according to my mot tester, as long as it isn't dazzling by being at incorrect height, then why would he fail it ?

Just looking at options at the moment. Need to look more in to what the changes actually are.

Just looking at options at the moment. Need to look more in to what the changes actually are.
No real changes from existing regs. Technically it broke con u regs as they are required to be self leveling and have headlight washers, but this relates to cars as no production motorbikes meet these requirements.

If, it is set up for correct height, so you won't be dazzling anyone, there shouldn't be an issue. Don't forget to set it up when the fuller figured gentleman around town is astride his magnificent steed.

However some will fail it just because.....

I’ve been using Philips extreme from upgrade bulbs on flea bay. Good enough for me. They do some new 55w +130% versions. Not used those but the +100% are superb. Very white and good penetration

I’ve been using Philips extreme from upgrade bulbs on flea bay. Good enough for me. They do some new 55w +130% versions. Not used those but the +100% are superb. Very white and good penetration

I’ve used those in cars before and always thought they were a worthwhile upgrade.

However I put a set in my last bike, a Yamaha super tenere, and they didn’t last long. They both went pop in a Swiss tunnel! I replaced them with whatever they had in the chamomix carrefour and they lasted for ages so it made me think that the upgraded bulb maybe doesn’t like vibration?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get a pair of LED H7 bulbs with fan cooled heat sink for £30. They focus just as well as halogen filaments (similar sized emitter) and give a far more useful light. Even main beam is useful.
You will need a suitable grommet to seal the access cover and a patch lead but that’s it.
Looking into the lamp the bulb ends look just like the metallise top of a halogen bulb.
Power consumption 35 watts each.

I've had them in for the last 25000 miles over 5 years. Used for trips and short work commutes. On all the time (as BMW set up insists) and only replaced the dip twice. I may be lucky.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

There is no ballast unit.

A couple of shots in situ below
b0a65aa0889ca05f425ff4e6408e5ca9.jpg
47b2b1c284882efacbbea7950e6839f0.jpg

is there a seal around the bulb?
Yes. They're is a large grommet. But if you're fitting to another bike (other that the 1200 shown on the site) there are actually lots of large grommets out there. I didn't realise it could come with one so I spent a while looking. So I think finding something suitable would neither be expensive or difficult.

Ian is right, they're pricey from solzy. But it removes any fiddling. I was lazy this time!

But you can buy two of the same lamps from here for less. Found this after buying of course!

www.hq-automotive.co.uk

The really important details are:

a) 'copper plating tech' as they're calling it - this is the key to removing the fan.
b) the white plastic adapt ring that engages with the lamp holder socket. You need this to match your lamp socket type.
c) a less apparent detail is to make sure the LED emitter is in roughly the same position (reach into the housing once fitted) as the element of the regular lamp - easily measured using the socket flange as your datum.

The grommet is the 'fiddle' factor, but I'd expect this to be easily achieved.

All hell of a lot simpler than HID and personally I think the beam is great, I still have sufficient cut-off and very white light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom