Morocco 2018 The Report.

Would love to do the dunes, but sadly medically not possible...

But really enjoying this report & piccies.. :thumb

Day 5. For some unknown reason I awake really early and take a wonder outside, it’s still dark but the sun is just about to rise, I find a nearby dune and sit waiting for the sun rise. As I’m sat there I see Paul D walking further out in to the desert presumably to find a place to take some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sun Rise:
78f7e2d0ab1635e270b23746a4530668.jpg

With breakfast out of the way we’ve decided to head out travelling lite with plans to explore the desert a bit more, we are fist heading for the Gara Medouar Crater near Rissani then to the desert art by the German artist Hannsjorg Voth. Before we set off Paul R wants to play in the sand for a while, Paul D and I having already done that on previous trips decide against it, for me anyway my reason is once you’ve come off in the sand it sucks your strength and is bloody hard !

Paul R after playing in the sand, he wisely didn’t venture too far out, as it is so easy to loose your bearing and get lost.
0a9a04c907dc5dc637b0558ac509fb1f.jpg

Leaving the road and heading towards the crater is awesome it’s not until it’s in front of you that you realise how big the thing actually is.

The entrance has been bricked up at some point as well as some other parts, looks like old brickwork, a quick web search says it was fortified by the Portuguese some 300 years ago, but these bricks weren’t t that old I’m sure. Of course it was in the James Bond move Spectre 2015, The Mummy 1998, The Mummy Returns 2000 and Prince of Persia: The sands of Time 2010.
86adfde8f602ec734ce8384498973aea.jpg

I was going to write a little piece about the desert art, but Mr Tim Cullis has done a way better job than I could ever do.

Thanks Tim

https://advrider.com/index.php?thre...nd-other-innovative-desert-structures.231286/

Hi Mark,

I notice Tim Cullis grades it one of his 'Black routes' i.e. not to be done alone due to the river & soft sand. In the 10 years since he was there, knowing the Moroccans they've probably got a tarmac road :D - I might take a look at them next month if not too challenging - how would you grade the route?

Hi Mark,

I notice Tim Cullis grades it one of his 'Black routes' i.e. not to be done alone due to the river & soft sand. In the 10 years since he was there, knowing the Moroccans they've probably got a tarmac road :D - I might take a look at them next month if not too challenging - how would you grade the route?

Not Mark, but I can answer ... Providing that you use Tim's original crossing point and track back to this as your crossing point back onto the road (the one to the left on the map as the one to the right has been dugout), it isn't that bad to cross the river bed (if dry). However, if you try to cross at any other point it becomes a lot more difficult .... :blast Unfortunately all three artworks are walled off so you cannot get close on the bike or even walk around them.

Not Mark, but I can answer ... Providing that you use Tim's original crossing point and track back to this as your crossing point back onto the road (the one to the left on the map as the one to the right has been dugout), it isn't that bad to cross the river bed (if dry). However, if you try to cross at any other point it becomes a lot more difficult .... :blast Unfortunately all three artworks are walled off so you cannot get close on the bike or even walk around them.

Thanks for the info, saved me a disappointing trip, might still go and have a look at Gara Medouar though.

Thanks for the info, saved me a disappointing trip, might still go and have a look at Gara Medouar though.

I’d still suggest you visit, it’s worth a ride out just to watch the little Moroccan security guards (loosely) walk towards you then ride round the other side when they get near, you can have hours of fun.
As PDiddy says go early and miss the tourists.

Back
Top Bottom