Sprockets

Davey Bee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I sure this has been done before, but I need to know if anyone can help with sprockets larger than 16 on the front. Or any other advice on making the bike more tarmac/slab friendly.

I sure this has been done before, but I need to know if anyone can help with sprockets larger than 16 on the front. Or any other advice on making the bike more tarmac/slab friendly.
Davey, I put this on mine. It is good quality and fits the splines well. I used it for most of the recent trip to Nouachchot and back. Not a dramatic difference, bike still easily rideable on small roads in Morocco. On motorway it cruises quite smoothly. Worth a try. Cheers
2d8a587606d69db935135edbf8d6d3c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll give that a try. It’s got a 16 on at the moment but a real ball ache on Long flat roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at Talon. If they don't have anything in stock they can probably make one for you.

eBay no - 351279528874

I too recently put a 17t Renthal sprocket on my f650gs. Subtle difference & smoother at higher speeds. No probs starting off due to higher gearing.

Thanks, out of interest, anyone ever used a 18 T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1522940859426.jpg
    FB_IMG_1522940859426.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 203
Let us know how you get on with it Ash. I'm looking forward to using it with more road going tyres as I've only used it with TKC's so far, but have noticed it smoother on the motorway and not noticed any downsides.

Let us know how you get on with it Ash. I'm looking forward to using it with more road going tyres as I've only used it with TKC's so far, but have noticed it smoother on the motorway and not noticed any downsides.

Will do sire... :thumb

Did 180 odd moles today on the XC with the 17 front tooth sprocket..

I found the bike much better for cruising without any noticeable loss in pulling power..

77 miles & I used 4.65 litres of fuel...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524346619398.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524346619398.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20180421_235246.jpg
    20180421_235246.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 172
You must have been thrashing it Ash! I too have a 17t on the front of my (new to me) X country, a black one. It was on it when I bought it, but I have put a new chain and sprockets in the parts cupboard in readiness. I got mine from JTS sprockets, steel rather than alloy. I don't mind the extra 2ozs, I have a lighter breakfast than normal. My last fill up was at 105 miles, she took 5.4 litres to the brim, well the little hole at the bottom of the bayonet, I lost a thimblefull so it was as full as is possible.

Fine on back roads or long haul boring roads. The TKC80s are horrible though. They rumble like hell and at slower speeds, around 20mph, they move about and steering straight is 'vague', from the rubber knobbles moving about I think. The bike goes where you point it, more or less, but it wavers. :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom