ISTA and K-DCAN cable

The K-line CAN-Bus protocol was discarded by BMW by the introduction of their F-series cars (was it in 2011?). But it stayed on in their bikes until the next generation was developed, which was the 1200LC introduced in 2013.
Later on also the S1000 and K1600 got their computers updated.
So I am afraid that the K-DCAN adapter will get you nowhere on the 1200LC-bikes.

BMW AG introduced D-CAN 03/2007 on E89 chassis. Prior to 03/2007 K-line was used.
F (2009), G and I series vehicles utilise ENET (BN2020).

Hi guys
Does any of you attempted to connect with Rheingold and K+DCAN to R1200GS from 2004-2006?
Wasted a week already trying to "talk" to my bike....
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Zyg.

Hi guys
Does any of you attempted to connect with Rheingold and K+DCAN to R1200GS from 2004-2006?
Cheers.
Zyg.

I did the same but then bought a ICOM A2 unit. Connected within seconds after and has paid for itself twice over already :)

I did the same but then bought a ICOM A2 unit. Connected within seconds after and has paid for itself twice over already :)

But did you managed to connect with K+DCAN? I know ICOM is the best but pricewise...
I've seen on YouTube some who managed to connect with K+DCAN to R1200GS but they have had younger ones from 2008+, so I wonder whether there is any difference to diagnostic protocol pre and after facelift..... It suppose to be K-line but what about pre-facelift specifically?

But did you managed to connect with K+DCAN? I know ICOM is the best but pricewise...
I've seen on YouTube some who managed to connect with K+DCAN to R1200GS but they have had younger ones from 2008+, so I wonder whether there is any difference to diagnostic protocol pre and after facelift..... It suppose to be K-line but what about pre-facelift specifically?

Read the thread :p

Could be possible with the earlier bikes but I haven't done it myself

Hi guys
Cheers.
Zyg.

What cable are using for the 10 Pin to 16 Pin conversion as most problems emanate from this part?
For K-line connection there is only 4 pins used - Ground, +12V, K-line & L-line.
There is plenty of cable pin-out examples on the web which provide the schematic.

I use K-Line & D-CAN cables to connect regularly using E-Sys and ISTA+ albeit to a 2017 R1200GSA as pins 7 & 8 don't use any bridge.

What cable are using for the 10 Pin to 16 Pin conversion as most problems emanate from this part?
For K-line connection there is only 4 pins used - Ground, +12V, K-line & L-line.
There is plenty of cable pin-out examples on the web which provide the schematic.

I use K-Line & D-CAN cables to connect regularly using E-Sys and ISTA+ albeit to a 2017 R1200GSA as pins 7 & 8 don't use any bridge.

I understood you needed an ICOM on the new bikes. I'm using the same OBDII to 10 pin adapter cable from the ICOM that I used on the K-DCAN cable I had but could never get it to work. I tried every setting possible in the adapter as well.

I used the ICOM A2 for e-sys and ISTA too.

I understood you needed an ICOM on the new bikes. I'm using the same OBDII to 10 pin adapter cable from the ICOM that I used on the K-DCAN cable I had but could never get it to work. I tried every setting possible in the adapter as well.

I used the ICOM A2 for e-sys and ISTA too.

An ICOM is only required for programming.
For diagnostics and coding a DCAN cable is only needed.

Guess 2017 R1200GSA uses CAN lines rather than K-line which may cause less problems with connection through K+DCAN.
"For K-line connection there is only 4 pins used - Ground, +12V, K-line & L-line" - where the L-Line is used in R1200GS's?
From what I've seen there is either 4 or 5 pins in diagnostic socket: Ground, 12V from battery, 12V from key switch, (supposed)K-line from DME,ZFE,etc, and sometimes 5-th pin with (supposed)K-line from ABS....
Unless I've missed something?

In accordance with ISO 9141 the L-line is used to trigger the ECU but transmission is via the bi-directional K-line.

In accordance with ISO 9141 the L-line is used to trigger the ECU but transmission is via the bi-directional K-line.

But there is no connection for L-line in bike socket.... Unless those two lines (K+L) should be bridged into one line before entering bike diagnostic socket?

But there is no connection for L-line in bike socket.... Unless those two lines (K+L) should be bridged into one line before entering bike diagnostic socket?

In earlier vehicle there was an L-line however I'm not aware of how BMW handled this on motorcycle prior to the connector.

So you are using a 10 Pin to 16 Pin adapter cable?
From what I recall:

Pin 1 to OBD Pin 7
Pin 4 to OBD Pin 4 & 5
Pin 6 to OBD Pin 16

I have a wiring diagram but can't place it. Is this how you have the wiring connection configured?

But did you managed to connect with K+DCAN?....
, so I wonder whether there is any difference to diagnostic protocol pre and after facelift..... It suppose to be K-line but what about pre-facelift specifically?
Please use the old software BMW INPA, EDIABAS it will connect with K+DCAN - USB, you should be able to get this working with the older version of R1200GS. These software can't work with the latest version of R1200GS LC, they would still connect with K+DCAN - USB to PC but apart from connection nothing else would work on latest version but works very well on older version on GS.
Hope this helps.
-Pramod

In earlier vehicle there was an L-line however I'm not aware of how BMW handled this on motorcycle prior to the connector.

So you are using a 10 Pin to 16 Pin adapter cable?
From what I recall:

Pin 1 to OBD Pin 7
Pin 4 to OBD Pin 4 & 5
Pin 6 to OBD Pin 16

I have a wiring diagram but can't place it. Is this how you have the wiring connection configured?

Yes, the same:
Pin 1 to OBD Pin 7 : (supposed) K-line
Pin 4 to OBD Pin 4 & 5: "-" Ground
Pin 6 to OBD Pin 16: +12V Battery
but I have also
Pin 10 to OBD Pin 1: +12V key switch (unless this is not a key switch, but there is circa +12,5V when turning ignition key to ON)

No idea

I've been using this forum since 2005.

this is the first time I have never understood one fucking part of a post. :rob:rob

Yes, the same:
Pin 1 to OBD Pin 7 : (supposed) K-line
Pin 4 to OBD Pin 4 & 5: "-" Ground
Pin 6 to OBD Pin 16: +12V Battery
but I have also
Pin 10 to OBD Pin 1: +12V key switch (unless this is not a key switch, but there is circa +12,5V when turning ignition key to ON)

On some models:
Pin 10 is 12V ignition
Pin 2 is ABS

Are you getting any error messages in ISTA?
Have you checked EDIABAS port and latency?
Selected BMW Motorrad in ISTA?

Common things you probably have checked but can still manage to trip me up when alternating between different vehicles etc.

On some models:
Pin 10 is 12V ignition
Pin 2 is ABS

Are you getting any error messages in ISTA?
Have you checked EDIABAS port and latency?
Selected BMW Motorrad in ISTA?

Common things you probably have checked but can still manage to trip me up when alternating between different vehicles etc.

Pin 10 is 12V ignition : on mine too.... connected to pin 1 of ODB.
Pin 2 is ABS : I've got that too, but left it for now until communicating with DME and rest of controllers...

Are you getting any error messages in ISTA?: when trying to connect it throw message saying that there is no communication and to check whether ignition is ON. Will try to copy and paste error log later on today....
Have you checked EDIABAS port and latency?: yes, com set to 9 and latency to 1
Selected BMW Motorrad in ISTA?: yes...

Please use the old software BMW INPA, EDIABAS it will connect with K+DCAN - USB, you should be able to get this working with the older version of R1200GS. These software can't work with the latest version of R1200GS LC, they would still connect with K+DCAN - USB to PC but apart from connection nothing else would work on latest version but works very well on older version on GS.
Hope this helps.
-Pramod

Hi Pramod,
Which version of ISTA would you recommend? Think have 3.56 at this moment but will check back later when home. When switching to Motorrad and manually typing VIN it will tell bike details but not connect to it.

Hi Pramod,
Which version of ISTA would you recommend? Think have 3.56 at this moment but will check back later when home. When switching to Motorrad and manually typing VIN it will tell bike details but not connect to it.

I'm using 4.10.21, it's worked fine now on three bikes I have connected to. Although, having a weird issue with a 2017 model when programming but hope to resolve it this weekend.

I've been using this forum since 2005.

this is the first time I have never understood one fucking part of a post. :rob:rob

ISTA is the BMW software your dealer uses for diagnostics, modifications and software updates to your bikes. E-sys is a program that allows direct access to the actual files inside the ECU(s) of the bike...very dangerous if you don't know to use it, this is also a BMW program

Back
Top Bottom