ISTA and K-DCAN cable

fredaroony

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience using ISTA-D and a K-DCAN to connect to a water cooled boxer? I know the ICOM module already works but that's only required for programming, although it can do diagnostics too.

Right now I'm just trying to get the diagnostics to work but I cannot get it to communicate with the bike properly. All the info I have found is from older model bikes.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to fork out for a ICOM NEXT box. Trying to be a tightarse though :)

Anyone had any experience using ISTA-D and a K-DCAN to connect to a water cooled boxer? I know the ICOM module already works but that's only required for programming, although it can do diagnostics too.

Right now I'm just trying to get the diagnostics to work but I cannot get it to communicate with the bike properly. All the info I have found is from older model bikes.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to fork out for a ICOM NEXT box. Trying to be a tightarse though :)

I have the ICOM NEXT box, and it works.
So far, the limitations for the setup lies between my body and the keyboard. I do however know of a guy that uses ICOM 2 on his 1200LC, so don't give up :thumb2

I have the ICOM NEXT box, and it works.
So far, the limitations for the setup lies between my body and the keyboard. I do however know of a guy that uses ICOM 2 on his 1200LC, so don't give up :thumb2

I'm trying to avoid buying an ICOM unit though. I am just using a K-DCAN cable which has worked in the past on other bikes like the S1000RR, F800 and K1600 but only for diagnostics.

I know of users with a ICOM box the LC boxer that works already.

Pain in the arse to setup but worth it in the end if I can get it going.

I'm trying to avoid buying an ICOM unit though. I am just using a K-DCAN cable which has worked in the past on other bikes like the S1000RR, F800 and K1600 but only for diagnostics.

I know of users with a ICOM box the LC boxer that works already.

Pain in the arse to setup but worth it in the end if I can get it going.

Agree Fred, but you know the old saying, buy cheap buy twice...................I personally think it is better to stay with tried and tested products, thats why I was not bothered with a new TFT screen

Agree Fred, but you know the old saying, buy cheap buy twice...................I personally think it is better to stay with tried and tested products, thats why I was not bothered with a new TFT screen

Not really the same situation in this case and more about compatibility.

The K-line CAN-Bus protocol was discarded by BMW by the introduction of their F-series cars (was it in 2011?). But it stayed on in their bikes until the next generation was developed, which was the 1200LC introduced in 2013.
Later on also the S1000 and K1600 got their computers updated.
So I am afraid that the K-DCAN adapter will get you nowhere on the 1200LC-bikes.

The K-line CAN-Bus protocol was discarded by BMW by the introduction of their F-series cars (was it in 2011?). But it stayed on in their bikes until the next generation was developed, which was the 1200LC introduced in 2013.
So I am afraid that the K-DCAN adapter will get you nowhere on the 1200LC-bikes.

Thanks for that and makes sense with what I'm seeing.

I ended up buying a ICOM A2 unit and all works perfectly :) Having access to the dealer software, and much more, is a great thing for those inclined to dig deeper into their bikes.

Have you flashed a bike using your ICOM?

I have updated a lc using ista p .
Done dash and engine ecu.
I use a clone icom with genuine software.

Have you flashed a bike using your ICOM?

No, I have not.
I have not had much time to "mess around" with it yet.

I have spent some time to get familiarized with the different tools.
It seems like ISTA-P will not flash the newer bikes, so you have to use ESysPlus for flashing.
While ESysPlus is a powerfull tool, it offers no safety-net. So before i do any attempt to flash anything, such as adding HillHold, I want to be 100% sure that I do not screw up :D

When I use ISTA and ISTA/P it nags about battery voltage. I have a Cteck charger that also has a power-supply function. When hooked up it provides a steady 13,5V to the bikes, which makes ISTA happy.

No, I have not.
I have not had much time to "mess around" with it yet.

I have spent some time to get familiarized with the different tools.
It seems like ISTA-P will not flash the newer bikes, so you have to use ESysPlus for flashing.
While ESysPlus is a powerfull tool, it offers no safety-net. So before i do any attempt to flash anything, such as adding HillHold, I want to be 100% sure that I do not screw up :D

When I use ISTA and ISTA/P it nags about battery voltage. I have a Cteck charger that also has a power-supply function. When hooked up it provides a steady 13,5V to the bikes, which makes ISTA happy.

ISTA-D does the programming now on the new bikes. Already used e-sys for :) :) :) :) Yes, very powerful tool and can bugger up your ECU very quickly. You can use it for a lot more than just flashing too.

Which ctek model are you using? I was looking at the MXS 25, which has the power supply mode. Apparently you're supposed to use around 14.5v on the BMW bikes but I believe 13.8v will work.

ISTA-D does the programming now on the new bikes. Already used e-sys for :) :) :) :) Yes, very powerful tool and can bugger up your ECU very quickly. You can use it for a lot more than just flashing too.

Which ctek model are you using? I was looking at the MXS 25, which has the power supply mode. Apparently you're supposed to use around 14.5v on the BMW bikes but I believe 13.8v will work.

My charger is CTEK MXS 7.0, with maximum charge rate of 7A and one of the functions is the Supply-mode.

Not cheap :) Too bad I can't PM you because could have helped you with something you mentioned earlier i.e. using e-sys

Well. Thank you for your offer.
Winter is over and it is "driving-season" now, so very little garage work will be done until the fall. But if you don't mind I'll grab a raincheck on the advise :bow

Well. Thank you for your offer.
Winter is over and it is "driving-season" now, so very little garage work will be done until the fall. But if you don't mind I'll grab a raincheck on the advise :bow

No problem, takes all of about 15 mins if you are very slow just so you know.

Back
Top Bottom