BMW Warranty?

Read the small print - mine just up for renewal now capped at £1,000.00 per claim and I have a £100.00 excess if I were to take it. That means it works out that if you have a Final drive repair (I had one in 2012 which is why I previously always took the warranty) approx £2,000.00 for job, so they would only pay £1000.00 then take your initial premium (£mine quoted at £400.00) and the £100.00 excess so that means a 2 K job would cost you £1500.00 with the warranty.

For this reason I called it a day and decided not to bother.

Rik

Well its what they say in their letter I received today, and actually the company is called Cargarantie, that is the company BMW use here in Freiburg, not sure if it is the same for the whole of Germany.

https://www.cargarantie.com/index.php?id=3&L=0[/QUOTE

In the UK its administered in the UK by AWP Assistance UK Ltd. I'll have to check my policy booklet to see if it mentions BMW servicing

Just checked my policy book and it says - Care of your motorcycle - you must keep your motorcycle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used.
b) After each service, please ensure that the relevant service details are completed in your service records
by the servicing garage and obtain a receipt for the service. You must keep all such receipts for reference in the event of a claim. Nothing about BMW having to do it.

The bit about manufacturers recommendations. I’m sure bmw recommends that you bring the bike to a bmw dealer for service. JJH

Just a bit of a heads up on this thread,, ive just had a new quickshifter fitted due to the old one having some water ingress or something,, Im not sure how much they cost but for the 50.00 quid excess it must be worth it.

Read the small print - mine just up for renewal now capped at £1,000.00 per claim and I have a £100.00 excess if I were to take it. That means it works out that if you have a Final drive repair (I had one in 2012 which is why I previously always took the warranty) approx £2,000.00 for job, so they would only pay £1000.00 then take your initial premium (£mine quoted at £400.00) and the £100.00 excess so that means a 2 K job would cost you £1500.00 with the warranty.

For this reason I called it a day and decided not to bother.

Rik

But even if its £1000 per claim, is there any limit to how many claims you can have in a year.

Trade in for a jap , makes more sense , bmw have lost the plot with there poor quality .

Trade in for a jap , makes more sense , bmw have lost the plot with there poor quality .
You seem to have an axe to grind. So, what is the issue you are concerned about.
The R1200RT is about the most reliable it has ever been in it's history, so I am unclear as to where your comments are aimed.

I doubt if some VFR owners would agree with you. Would a Jap manufacturer swap the headers worth £1300 because of an issue when the bike was out of warranty. I think we all know the answer to that. We have a FJR1300 as a blood bike and the quality is nowhere near our RTs, but lets not let facts get in the way.

You seem to have an axe to grind. So, what is the issue you are concerned about.
The R1200RT is about the most reliable it has ever been in it's history, so I am unclear as to where your comments are aimed.

Erm, final drive, paint on engine peeling, clutch takes 2 full days to change, side stand switch/nuetral switch fails and leaves you stranded, rust on rear subframes, ABS failure prone to it, bmw bikes are sent out early and the customer is the guinea pig , seem to remember the front forks not that long ago having to be modified, jap bikes are a much better bet for less hassle, an example most jap bikes i have owned maybe an odd time a rectifier will go, but in general mostly wear items, i love the handling on some bmw bikes, but for the money when new they can be fussy.

Erm, final drive, paint on engine peeling,
Not a reliability issue.

clutch takes 2 full days to change,
https://xladv.com/topic/1085-2013-current-r1200gsa-lc-clutch-replacement-guide/

2 hours.

side stand switch/nuetral switch fails and leaves you stranded
Never heard of that one on a Wethead yet. - links please.

rust on rear subframes,
Not heard of problems with that - links please.

ABS failure prone to it,

bmw bikes are sent out early and the customer is the guinea pig

Hmm, possibly true.

seem to remember the front forks not that long ago having to be modified,

Yes, only on the GS model and even then it was only precautionary.

Not a reliability issue.

https://xladv.com/topic/1085-2013-current-r1200gsa-lc-clutch-replacement-guide/

2 hours.

Not heard of problems with that - links please.

Hmm, possibly true.

Yes, only on the GS model and even then it was only precautionary.

Probably incoming, as all the oilheads have had most of the faults i stated, 2 hour clutch must have went multiplate, oh thats right nearly most japs have this type , seem to remember bmw talking about how robust the single plate car type was, oh dear, anyway i still like there quirky style , but not there unnecessary over the top solutions to things that are simple , ie indicator switches what is this crap all about thumbs down or up for off ?

Probably incoming, as all the oilheads have had most of the faults i stated, 2 hour clutch must have went multiplate, oh thats right nearly most japs have this type , seem to remember bmw talking about how robust the single plate car type was, oh dear, anyway i still like there quirky style , but not there unnecessary over the top solutions to things that are simple , ie indicator switches what is this crap all about thumbs down or up for off ?

Hi Taminator, you really seem to be having issues with your dislike for BMW's. So why not just leave the fold and return to the beloved Japanese motorcycle?
All BMW Boxers had dry single plate car type clutches up until the 2013 GS. from that time they are now wet multiplate types. Both have been good and reliable clutches. However, some of the Oilhead (particularly 2002 bikes) had issues with the gearbox input splines becoming stripped. Other than that, no undue problems that would cause concerns. Indeed the single plate was robust.
As for the indicator switches, again, they changed to the Japanese style. I REALLY miss the old style of left button for left, right button for right. However, I have now got used to the single switch. But the older style was much more intuitive.

Hi Taminator, you really seem to be having issues with your dislike for BMW's. So why not just leave the fold and return to the beloved Japanese motorcycle?
All BMW Boxers had dry single plate car type clutches up until the 2013 GS. from that time they are now wet multiplate types. Both have been good and reliable clutches. However, some of the Oilhead (particularly 2002 bikes) had issues with the gearbox input splines becoming stripped. Other than that, no undue problems that would cause concerns. Indeed the single plate was robust.
As for the indicator switches, again, they changed to the Japanese style. I REALLY miss the old style of left button for left, right button for right. However, I have now got used to the single switch. But the older style was much more intuitive.
Still like bmw, but not some if the shit they seem to go overboard with, have this at the moment , waiting for the incoming lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 148
BMW’s are designed for and sold to 60+ year olds, dead below the waist.

Surprised they don’t come with free hearing aids or a pack of tena for men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom