BMW Warranty?

Rick B

Reaction score
Just found out my warranty has expired and am considering the Motorrad extended,, coming back at £455, with zero excess.
Is it worth it?

Suppose pal , Just wondering if anyone's had any bad vibes off them ,, obviously there will be the odd nit picker but i just want the general consensus

Yeah Im not too much bothered regarding the sum , just on what it covers (obviously not the wearables pads,tyres ect) but regarding warped discs and the like

Put £455 into a savings account and then put the same amount in each year thereafter would be my advice but then I do not worry too much about such things ;)

I've had it for the last two years, used the rescue once, which was good, but probably no different to the AA. Most things I have had replaced on my RT was not covered by the warranty, such as exhaust headers, etc, all done by BM under goodwill. So as stated depends if you think anything expensive will break, but as for the quality of the product its good.

I've had it for the last two years, used the rescue once, which was good, but probably no different to the AA. Most things I have had replaced on my RT was not covered by the warranty, such as exhaust headers, etc, all done by BM under goodwill. So as stated depends if you think anything expensive will break, but as for the quality of the product its good.

Thanks Casbar,, Just had the headers done before the original warrenty ran out, i was just thinking parts like the electric screen motor ,switch gear etc

Put £455 into a savings account and then put the same amount in each year thereafter would be my advice but then I do not worry too much about such things ;)

Like he said!

When they came calling to sell me the warranty I told them I thought it was outrageous to sell a motorcycle for close to £20k and then suggest you need to pay out amounts like that each year as a guarantee against poor quality of said product.

Needless to say they have not phoned me since

Thanks Casbar,, Just had the headers done before the original warrenty ran out, i was just thinking parts like the electric screen motor ,switch gear etc

Trade inn get a new bike if money no option, problem solved new warranty.

wheres my hat...............

Just found out my warranty has expired and am considering the Motorrad extended,, coming back at £455, with zero excess.
Is it worth it?

Always worth it for the peace of mind in my opinion, you also get the BMW Assist and can pay in monthly instalments which means if you ever sell the bike and cancel these's none of the hassle of applying to get the refund.

I had it for a year, the exhaust valve thing seized, sorry not covered under extended warranty. To me this is not a consumable.

So I cancelled it. I use Nationwide for my breakdown cover.

Depends on the model IMHO. K1600 take it up.........no brainer. GS probably more questionable, as many of the issues like coolant pump leaks should be covered by goodwill. Not that goodwill lasts forever & it's interpreation seems to vary considerably.

However, my understanding was that the warranty extension was a once only offer made just before the factory warranty expired & priced attractively? IIRC, once the date has passed, so has the 'deal'. Maybe things have changed since I was in that position over 3 years ago.

Depends on the model IMHO. K1600 take it up.........no brainer. GS probably more questionable, as many of the issues like coolant pump leaks should be covered by goodwill. Not that goodwill lasts forever & it's interpreation seems to vary considerably.

However, my understanding was that the warranty extension was a once only offer made just before the factory warranty expired & priced attractively? IIRC, once the date has passed, so has the 'deal'. Maybe things have changed since I was in that position over 3 years ago.

The chap has an RT :)

I bought a Motorrad extended warranty for my 2014 gs te.Chose to go the pay monthly thing,£35 per month with £100 excess if memory serves.Everything on the bike was covered apart from almost everything that normally goes on a BMW Boxer,i,e, Exhaust Valve,Corrosion,Electronic suspension after 30,000 miles,etc.I think it's better than paying out £455 in one go,especially if you don't make a claim,With the monthly system,you can stop it at any time without paying anything out.Of course,with the annual payment format, you can't do that.
When the warranty on my 2018 RT runs out,I will most probably do the same.

Chose to go the pay monthly thing,£35 per month with £100 excess if memory serves.
Not much difference between trading in every 2 years, except your bike is 2 years older and nothing to show for it.
My 1200RT is now 14 years of age. I bought it at 18 months and was offered the extended warranty. I would by now have paid over £4200 to keep the warranty going, plus, of course twice a year servicing at circa £7200, a total in excess of £11,400.
Failures in that time:
Fuel pump controller @ circa £85 1 front fork oil seal at £12.00 ( EBay Spain)
Home servicing costs Circa £400.
Total: under £500, excluding Brake pads & tyres.
In Europe or Africa for 2+ weeks every year.
What would I do if it stopped over there?
Leave it safe, fly home, and back with the bits to repair it a month or two later and have another holiday whilst there.
You may judge from this that I am skeptical of such insurance deals.

Just got my Extended warranty for the GS not to expensive however in the small print, all repairs and yearly services must be done by BMW...........:rob

Just got my Extended warranty for the GS not to expensive however in the small print, all repairs and yearly services must be done by BMW...........:rob

Never noticed that before, is that new? I know the third party servicing using BMW parts etc is a car only legislation. So I assume they can do what they want, they could even enforce dealer servicing for manufacturers warranty if they wanted.

Never noticed that before, is that new? I know the third party servicing using BMW parts etc is a car only legislation. So I assume they can do what they want, they could even enforce dealer servicing for manufacturers warranty if they wanted.

Well its what they say in their letter I received today, and actually the company is called Cargarantie, that is the company BMW use here in Freiburg, not sure if it is the same for the whole of Germany.

https://www.cargarantie.com/index.php?id=3&L=0

Well its what they say in their letter I received today, and actually the company is called Cargarantie, that is the company BMW use here in Freiburg, not sure if it is the same for the whole of Germany.

https://www.cargarantie.com/index.php?id=3&L=0[/QUOTE

In the UK its administered in the UK by AWP Assistance UK Ltd. I'll have to check my policy booklet to see if it mentions BMW servicing

Just checked my policy book and it says - Care of your motorcycle - you must keep your motorcycle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used.
b) After each service, please ensure that the relevant service details are completed in your service records
by the servicing garage and obtain a receipt for the service. You must keep all such receipts for reference in the event of a claim. Nothing about BMW having to do it.

Back
Top Bottom